Steve Benson- Don't click on google maps link!

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Yorkshire Lass

Post by Yorkshire Lass »

I've also had Gerald Elison emailing today with the supposed Google Maps link...I hope everyone is on their guard.
We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

www.kingshousescarborough.com
www.facebook.com/scarboroughholidaycottage
www.sandsendpavilion.co.uk
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Was 'Gerald' contacting you through OD too? I forwarded it to their email address for reporting spam. I wonder how long it takes for them to start blocking Gerald and how many owners will get the email in the meantime.

If it wasn't for LMH I wouldn't be wise to these things - surely OD should be alerting owners to the nature of these scams? When owners get taken in and have their email hacked then it ends up with negative publicity for OD so it must be in their interests to send out warnings. Yet I don't recall ever having anything from OD spelling out what to look out for.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Gordo

Post by Gordo »

Although it does sound like a phishing tactic I notice all owners reporting it in this thread seem to be UK based. Has anyone considered Steve B might be a prospective burglar?

Map location + empty calendar date = opportunity

Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…
aussiefrog

Post by aussiefrog »

Looks like Angel is one of the gang, received this yesterday from OD. Seems that the scammers are starting to get through again.

Message from Angel D Blaine

We are looking at booking a full week, starting 19th March. Is it available? Our dates are flexible. You can reach me at my personal email: xxx@ gmail.com for a faster communication, as I will be out of office.

(Edited to remove first part of email address)
Last edited by aussiefrog on Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aussiefrog

Post by aussiefrog »

Just went back to my dashboard to report this as a scam and the email address in the enquiry is completely different to Angel's gmail address as given in 'her' message.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

The wording is identical to the one I had and I had the same thing with the different email addresses too. If you reply I'll bet she sends a link to google maps.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth