When do you withhold a deposit?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
brightmike

When do you withhold a deposit?

Post by brightmike »

So I'm very new to holiday lets. When would you withhold part of the deposit? Just for something major e.g. smashed TV or minor things like makeup on the sheets?

How would go about it if the booking is through HL? Do they adjudicate?
Our property website can be found by looking at our profile.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

That's a very difficult question. I take each incident on a case by case basis as there are so many other factors involved. For example, if soiled sheets were fairly old, I would make a judgement dependent on the general conduct of the guests i.e. if they had clearly taken care of the cottage and it appeared to be accidental I would refund the deposit and put it down to wear and tear. However, if the sheets were new and the guests had left the cottage generally in poor condition and I felt the stains were caused by negligence, I might withhold the replacement costs. Therefore, I may charge one set of guests but not another. That said, in 9 years I have very rarely withheld any amounts and reserve that for major damage (not that I have ever withheld any large amounts).

Bearing in mind very few guests offer to pay for damage (indeed, they will often try to hide it), for small amounts it's just not worth the hassle and ill feeling involved.

Sorry can't comment on HL as I don't list with them.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

It really is an open question. I think if you follow Bunnys guidelines you won't go far wrong.

As for HL - if there is a problem you call HL & tell them. They will want pictures so take them at the time. When I had a problem they didn't adjudicate - just waited for me to get back to them with my decision. Others may have had a different experience with HL though.
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

Really we apply the same as Bunny - generally small things plates, glasses we don't charge. I had 2 incidents last year - 1 set of guests broke my TV and they paid for a new one from their deposit. Another set of guests left our apt in a mess, stole a bedside lamp, used the baby cot and refused to pay for it, I complained to Airbnb and sent photos and they reimbursed the full claim. This is rare....... I hope :wink:
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

We have only just started taking a damage deposit and ended up keeping most of the first payment. We had not bothered over our first 2 years but hoped it would encourage a little more respect for the property.

We would not retain anything for simple things like broken glasses, life happens. Unfortunately our recent guest ( as discussed on other threads) damaged new carpet in 2 rooms with toilet cleaner and stained brand new quilt covers with splodges of nail varnish. Our cleaner managed to remove most of the stain from the carpet but it took a lot of time, the quilt cover (brand new and £40) was ruined. Our guest confessed to the damage over several emails as we asked questions. Our intention was that we should never need to retain a deposit so it was such a shame to have to do so. If they had told us of the damage in the first place we may have been able to reduce the damage.
Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere »

So what do other owners do about annoying little stains on pillow cases? Some of our new cream pillow cases have already got waterproof mascara on them which we can't get out.

Too unsightly to give to someone else, but a shame to simply throw away. Do you just swallow the cost of that or do you deduct from the deposit?
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

Newtoit wrote:So what do other owners do about annoying little stains on pillow cases? Some of our new cream pillow cases have already got waterproof mascara on them which we can't get out.

Too unsightly to give to someone else, but a shame to simply throw away. Do you just swallow the cost of that or do you deduct from the deposit?
To my mind that's just part of the business.

We had guests last year who couldn't be bothered to control their adolescent girls around the swimming pool and ended up with 6 holes in the liner caused by the end of the net pole. Didnt notice until security deposit had been repaid. Such is life ! And the liner was only 2 yrs old !

Had to "suck it up" as the modern idiom goes
:evil:
What would Plato do ?
Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere »

bornintheuk wrote:....the swimming pool...ended up with 6 holes in the liner caused by the end of the net pole. Didnt notice until security deposit had been repaid. Such is life ! And the liner was only 2 yrs old !
Wow - that can't have been cheap. I'm not sure I'd have let that one go. I'd have been inclined to contact them and ask for a contribution.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Newtoit wrote:So what do other owners do about annoying little stains on pillow cases? Some of our new cream pillow cases have already got waterproof mascara on them which we can't get out.

I got waterproof mascara out of pillow cases with Lidl stain soak. I'm sure the Vanish equivalent (the one in the tub) would work too as they seem the same to me.
Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere »

Thank you. I'll give it a try.
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

kyreniagirl wrote:

I got waterproof mascara out of pillow cases with Lidl stain soak. I'm sure the Vanish equivalent (the one in the tub) would work too as they seem the same to me.
I soak the pillowcases overnight in a bucket with vanish powder and a splash of bleach. It works 70% of the time. The annoying ones I can't get 100% clean are chucked. What I find more annoying is a getting a small stain on a king size duvet cover. :evil:
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Hairspray...or WD40 gets waterproof mascara off. Google it....There are a couple of other solutions too. I've managed 90% of the time to get the stains out.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

Acetone works for waterproof mascara or if you cant get it then use nail varnish remover!
Annew

Post by Annew »

I am just about to withhold (as of tomorrow) as my guests have had a dog staying in my no pets cottages. (I won't go into the nitty gritty, but we have just had a wedding party - family of the Bride - staying here who have been nightmare guests) If one of the party hadn't unleashed a torrent of filthy language at me in the lane just up the road when she almost crashed into my car, I may well have been a little more benevolent!!!!

I have to say that in 16 years, we have only withheld the deposit on 5 or 6 occasions and only for major things like huge damage (TV, cooker, etc) smoking in our properties (we needed to clean duvets and curtains) removal of fag ends and dog poo (need I say more) and the wonderful guests who took both sets of keys with them and failed to answer my phone calls or emails.

I would not withhold the deposit for minor breakages (plates, cups etc) or for things like makeup on sheets. I have build these (wear and tear IMHO) costs into my rental rates.
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
joddle

Post by joddle »

We have just said goodbye to some really nice guests - as soon as we arrived to return the depoit as they were leaving they very quickly said they had had an accident and a plate had got broken. When people are up front like that we never take anything from the deposit and never had any really serious damage. They were as good as gold and had even cleaned the flat even though we do state that final cleaning is included in the price.

As for pillow cases getting a bit stained etc, if they are not too bad but not good enought to re-use in the rental, we simpy use them ourselves. Getting new bedding and towels is really an ongoing thing anyway in this business. We find most of the time marks do come out using one or another of the many tips given above. A bit of hand rubbing sometimes is needed and a good bio powder helps!
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.