How does Damage Deposit work ?

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
e-richard

How does Damage Deposit work ?

Post by e-richard »

I'm trying specifically to understand how the various OTAs handle security/damage deposits when you list under the commission model.

As far as I have been able to ascertain:

Trip Advisor and Airbnb each ask you to specify a maximum amount, but neither of them actually take any money from the guest. They just keep the guest's credit card details "on file". On departure, you have a fixed period (7 days with TA, but 14 days with Airbnb) within which to submit a claim. Then the guest may accept or contest the claim.

If the guest accepts liability, the OTA collects the money and sends it (all?) to you.
If the guest does not accept the claim, then Airbnb state that they have an arbitration process which happens.
According to the TA website, you simply resubmit another smaller claim ?? Whats that all about ?

With HomeAway using their HA Payments, it appears that you can specify any amount to be taken from the guest (presumably at booking time). Then if there is any damage, you simply fill in a form and that money comes to you. I could not see any discussion or arbitration.

Can anyone confirm or deny any of the above?

What about Booking dot con?
Any other COMMISSION based sites?

p.s. Please avoid discussion about whether to take a deposit or not - that has already been debated to death. :cry:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Marks

Re: How does Damage Deposit work ?

Post by Marks »

e-richard wrote:According to the TA website, you simply resubmit another smaller claim ?? Whats that all about ?
From TA website:

What if the guest and I can’t reach an agreement on a damage deposit claim?

If you can’t reach an agreement with the guest on a damage deposit claim, try the following:

Send them evidence of the damage (if you haven’t done so already)

Send a copy of any receipts you’ve obtained (if you have replaced the damaged items already)

If you try the above and neither works, contact us for further advice. Make sure you send us any supporting evidence you’ve collected so we can help you resolve your claim as quickly as possible.

What we will request from you:

To support your claim, we will request photographic evidence of the damage, in the form of photos or videos, as well as invoices to give us an indication of the financial impact of the damage.

Please note: we are unable to accept handwritten receipts, word documents or invoices issued by yourself. As a guideline, we only accept invoices which include the following: VAT number, business addresses and/or company header. You may supply these as a PDF, scanned or photographed copy.

Once we’ve been contacted about the claim, we will make a decision based on the evidence and information we’ve collected from both parties. By passing the dispute to us, you are agreeing that our decision will be final. Please be assured that we will base our decision on evidence only and that we aim to represent guests and owners fairly.

I have one running at the moment. Guest refusing to answer/accept claim. They have until Saturday to respond at which point I will refer it to TA (who have been helpful so far).
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
COYS

Post by COYS »

So according to TA, if I carry out repairs myself, my time is worthless & cannot be claimed for?
Hmmm...... given the declining standards of guest care & the urgency with which repairs or replacements often need to be addressed who needs a 3rd party referee.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Thanks Marks. Sorry to hear that you have this knowledge!
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Marks

Post by Marks »

e-richard wrote:Thanks Marks. Sorry to hear that you have this knowledge!
It's only 50 Euros but it is the principle. Don't stay in my place and break my stuff and then hide the evidence :evil:
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Martha

Post by Martha »

HA take it, the guest pays it with the deposit as I remember, and then you have to refund it.
TA I am not sure but I suspect that's how it works. I don't think (?) they actually pay it.

Possibly not much help at this point but I've removed all damage deposit handling from all those sites due to massive incompetence (HA held onto several thousand pounds of mine for months TWICE due to some minor procedural issue with a deposit) and also them dragging their feet (I refund immediately, TA routinely take ten days). Plus I feel it's unfair to keep the money for so long. Plus the issue as noted here, that if you actually need to take any of it, you will be embroiled with their systems and have to accept their decision.

I remove it from their systems and state in the messages that I'll take it separately. Then I deal with it all. I have never had to make a deduction yet though I'm sure my time will come!
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
loveka

Post by loveka »

I am really conflicted as to whether to take a damage deposit. I only do Air B and B. Does it put people off?

I really need some advice.
COYS

Post by COYS »

loveka wrote:I am really conflicted as to whether to take a damage deposit. I only do Air B and B. Does it put people off?

I really need some advice.
You might want to read the blue highlighted text on the original post......
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.