Cleaning High Chair straps

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Annew

Cleaning High Chair straps

Post by Annew »

Does anyone have a tip for removing black mould/mildew marks from the harness straps on high chairs.

The harness is not removable and some dear guests managed to leave 2 of them in a real state. I almost needed a chisel for the food deposits on the wood.

I've tried bleach and mould remover (which cleaned the food off) but nothing has really worked to remove the remaining black and yellow stains.
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My sympathies, I remember only too well trying to remove dried on weetabix.
revdev

Post by revdev »

That's why we use the basic IKEA model. Broken down, the whole thing fits in the dishwasher!

(sorry though, that doesn't help your problem)
See the job, do the job!
http://www.premiumturkishvillas.co.uk
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

The mold remover I've used in the past smelled of bleach and definitely had a bleaching effect on black mold. No idea what else you could use.

Some straps are difficult to remove and one chair I had even needed screws removed to get the straps off. In Spain I get the pressure washer on them but even that won't remove stains!

After having my own child, I realised that comfy high chairs are just a headache and switched to a simple Ikea one after my original one was past cleaning.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My Mum had an Ikea antelope (?) high chair she bought when my kids were babies (they are now 25 and 26). It has served 10 grandchildren and is still going strong as my cousin has acuqired it as she now has two under threes.
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

We have the IKEA plastic one as well - you can get removable high chair safety straps from Ebay, I think ours were about £2 or so each and I bought 3 pairs so I could chuck manky ones away.

You can put a cushion or towel in the IKEA ones to make it more comfy - parents will improvise.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Sammy

Post by Sammy »

Hi Annew

I had the exact same problem a little while ago.

I soaked them (as much as I could) overnight with Vanish. It removed most of the black spots but some are still there (if you look hard enough) - hope this helps.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

If you haven't already tried this, you could soak some kitchen towel (or a cloth) in bleach, the wrap it round the straps, cover in clingfilm (to stop the bleach from drying out) and leave overnight. That's worked for me for dirty light cords before.
teapot

Post by teapot »

Chlorine bleach will do as it's name suggests and also weaken the straps which I guess could be dangerous?

Using ACE or hair bleach (hydrogen peroxide) would have a similar stain removal power but safer on the colour and the fabric.

Vanish gold is pretty much the same with a little sodium carbonate for extra kick!
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Annew

Post by Annew »

Thanks for those useful suggestions - I'm off try them out and will report back.

FWIW we provide quite high end wooden folding highchairs - when we surveyed our guests they preferred these to the plastic ones - and usually they are dead easy to keep clean. Unfortunately every now and then we do get truly grimy guests!
Annew

Post by Annew »

Quick update

The Vanish Gold combined with drying in the sun worked a treat!