File size of images

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
la vache!

File size of images

Post by la vache! »

This is a really stupid question, I think - but can anyone tell me how to reduce the file size of photos without reducing the image size? I want to make my website quicker to upload and I need to be able to do this!
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Susan - do you have any form of photo-editing software, such as Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc?
The instructions will all be different depending upon which one you have, but even the most basic, cheapest (or free-est!) one will have the option to optimise your photos for the web.
Let me know what you have and we can take it from there.
A

(PS - it's not a stupid question :) )
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Hi Cathering,
I have photoshop, photoplus and Irfanview (which is the simplest for me) the first two I haven't had time to get my head round yet![/code]
Angel

Post by Angel »

Hi Susan

I've had a brief look at your website and, IMHO, it's not the file sizes that needs to be reduced but the number of graphic images on your pages.

Try this Web Page Analyzer and see the stats.

I'd choose a couple of really good photos and put the rest in a gallery, or have more pages.

HTH
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Susan,
I think the photos on your home page are probably small enough (haven't checked them all), but the ones on the property pages could definitely do with reducing the file sizes.

Its really easy to do in Photoshop - just open the image in photoshop, then click on File... Save For Web...
You can then play around with the quality and if you select the "2 Up" tab at the top of the window you will see the original image in the left pane and the optimised one on the right. Then just click "OK", choose a new filename, and then "Robert est ton oncle"!

Happy Optimising!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Angel, yes, I've been thinking of doing this for a while, but as it's a big project, I've put it to one side....

CatherineS - the ones on the homepage have been re-done for me by someone else, so they are OK, but you are right, it's the ones on the cottages page that are too large, those are the ones I wanted to re-do myself. Many thanks for your advice, I will give it a go - et bonnes vacances!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Thanks Catherine - I've tried it and it is easy! I think I need to take some time to fteach myself photoshop. The file size is greatly reduced, with no real discernible difference in quality.