Redesigned website - what do you think?

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Bumblebee

Redesigned website - what do you think?

Post by Bumblebee »

Hi everyone,

Have just redesigned our website and would really welcome constructive comments. The reviews don't show properly on my phone, but apart from that it should display properly.

Thanks for your help
http://www.bumblebeecottagefiley.com/
rammy100

Post by rammy100 »

Nice looking place on an attractive website. A couple of things for me though......

- Why does SOME OF THE TEXT appear in CAPITALS? I found it a little IRRITATING. If you had used it to emphasise one or two things then fine but it's a bit OTT to my mind.

- I would like to see your prices and availability without having to go through to OD. Once there I may be tempted to look for other houses in the same location so having got me to your website you then run the risk of losing me elsewhere.

- I found some of the text a little light in colour towards the bottom of the home page.

- you have misspelt snorkelling (you say snorkling) under "What's on at the Bay"

None of this would prevent me from booking btw.
Here we go again........
annedab

Post by annedab »

Looks like a lovely place. I've only had a quick look, but I second Rammy's comments about the capital letters - very off-putting.
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I'm not able to view any pages without a horizontal scrollbar and I'm on a desktop just now. I think anyone viewing the site on a mobile or even tablet, which will be about half your visitors, might struggle. I am surprised sites like Wix don't offer responsive designs.

I'm not sure why the fonts are so big.

Some text overlaps with the images.

Couldn't find prices and as just external links to Owners Direct.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Yes, a nice looking place, and a basically nice site.

But please, ditch those awful capitals - it's like shouting and it's more than irritating, it's a real switch off!

I'd also ditch your reference to the 'fine art and textile degree' on your home page - it feels like a bit of inappropriately placed trumpet-blowing (sorry).

And lastly, you need prices right there on your site - I don't want to have to visit an external site to find out if I can afford you.

I'm on a small Chromebook and can see the whole site without needing the horizontal scrollbar - no overlapping text either.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Like the place but have some issues with the font. The 'one pager' just made my eyes go funny and I found it a real effort to read. I think it is the same font as the rest of the pages but somehow on that page really difficult to decipher. Like the others, really do not like all those capital letters.

On my iPad the photos on page one hide some of the text.

If I was deciding to look further into staying, then I would expect to find prices right there on your website.

Have I missed something obvious ( only had a quick look) but is there somewhere which makes clear which of that group of houses the property is?

Other than that, good content, nice photos etc. Just does not make for a RELAXING read!
Bumblebee

Thanks for the comments

Post by Bumblebee »

Thanks for the comments. I'll see what I can do about the capitals etc. It's a struggle getting it to look the same on different devices, and as you say - you'd think that WIX would be able to do something about it.

As to which is my house in the one with all the houses. I originally had a photo that focussed on mine but was told that people would like to see it in context. I guess you can't please everyone. I did originally have the prices on the website and the calendar, but couldn't find a way to get the calendar to look good - what do others use for embedded calendars?

Thanks again
Jenny
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I use Dateblocker and apart from a few issues and getting no reply from their support people, I have found it fine. I worked around the issues and now get it to do what I want it to do in a roundabout way. I think other people may be happier with other calendars. Dateblocker is free to use so I am not complaining.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Broadly similar comments to above - the CAPITALS are REALLY IRRITATING and don't put me in the right relaxed state to be checking out holiday accommodation; on the same topic, I find the typeface irritating.
As with Kev, I'm on a desktop monitor and some of the text is merging with the pix; I'm using Safari on a Mac.

And to echo the other posters - I really don't want to have to go to another website - ie OD - to get the essential pricing and availability. I'm a PIMS user and host all my information there; the listing sites that use iCal can display it.
One other thought on the OD link - if someone arrives having found you on a different listing site, that site isn't going to be too happy if you're then redirecting the guest to OD...... (I wouldn't follow a link to OD as a point of principle, but that's because I'm an owner and hate them - the average guest probably doesn't have any cause to be so bigoted. :wink: )
Bumblebee

Post by Bumblebee »

Thanks Felicity, I'll have a look at the site you mention. Have made most of the changes, including adding prices, need to see what I can do about a calendar - but it should be displaying better now.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend
Jenny
Bumblebee

Post by Bumblebee »

Just read your comment about the link to owners direct. I know what you mean but they won't put your website address on their listing unless you link back to them! I'm feeling pretty annoyed with them at present as well, but I have done quite well through them so far and I like the direct contact you get with guests from the beginning, which is why I've resisted listing with holiday lettings. Will see how the new Owners Direct site looks when it's launched (sorry if that feels like thread-creep...will stop now)

Jenny
Oh I do like to be beside the sea...

www.bumblebeecottagefiley.com
Owners Direct: 8151873
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

If you find a good calendar and go with that, then you don't need to make your link to OD prominent :wink: I have mine on a 'links' page and I don't imagine many people bother to click. Why would they when they get far more comprehensive information on one's own website.
Bumblebee

Thanks - website now updates

Post by Bumblebee »

Dear all,

Thanks for your comments. They were helpful and have much improved the website. I've now completed the updates - it should look ok on most devices. As far as a calendar goes, I've gone for a really low tech solution (though a little time consuming), in that I have included a screenshot of the Owners Direct calendar. Have had a quick look at dateblocker and may do something with that in the future, but for the present, feel that I spent enough time this weekend.

So I guess what I am saying is - do you think it looks ok now?
Thanks in advance
Jenny
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

The horizontal scroll bar is still present up to a browser width of about 1700 pixels, yet it only reveals a little more of the header image.
Bumblebee

Post by Bumblebee »

Thanks Kevin,

I've tried to make it narrower, but if it is only the header then I guess it isn't such a big issue. Overall, it is a much better site than the one it replaced and also, following everyone's comments. I think there comes a point when I need to stop fiddling, as it has taken me all weekend to get it to this stage
:)

Jenny