swimming pool liner discolouration

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

johnel,

There shouldn't be any difference no matter what the structural material might be as the liner is waterproof. I used to get a little algae from time to time but since I started using multi-function tablets instead of chlorine-only tablets I have had no problems with algae.

Alan
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

So far I've not heard of any problems with tiled pools. Its maintained each week and our pool guy says the grouting needs touching up where bits have come loose/chipped off. But it isn't discoloured at all.

I was interested to find out that if you have a tiled pool (as we have) you have to keep water in it all the time - otherwise the tiles crack because without water it expands. With concrete pools (a slightly cheaper option) you have to empty them at the end of each season.

What do you have to do with lined pools?

By the way - the bits of re-grouting will be cheap to do.......but the re-filling of the pool will cost us about 300 euros in water charges!!!!!!
Thank god I don't have to empty it and refill every year!?

Mouse
x
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Mouse,

I think it would be fair to say that most traditional pools are constructed with special reinforced concrete blocks or shuttered and poured reinforced concrete. They are then painted, lined or tiled.

It is never a good idea to leave a traditional pool standing empty. When full, the water in the pool balances the ground pressure from outside. When empty, the ground pressure can easily cause serious or irreparable damage. The over-riding advice is, never ever leave a traditional pool empty for longer than you really have to, whether it is lined or tiled. You are asking for trouble if you do!

Pools constructed by the use of metal frames do not rely on the pool walls to balance the ground pressure; the frames themselves do that so draining is an option although still not highly recommended.

As an on-site owner I can’t imagine why anyone would want to drain a pool on a regular basis – it’s a complete waste of time and money. For the Winter, I simply switch to a low maintenance routine and switch back again in the Spring. That way, my pool is available for use all year round.

For the absent owner, why not use a winter cover to keep out the rubbish, switch to low maintenance to retain chemical balance and have the pool checked out for problems once a month? It’s not expensive and there’s no problem opening up for the Spring.

Alan