About to make a website

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Pendragon

About to make a website

Post by Pendragon »

To be honest I am a bit scared to try this but realise it is probably a good time. We haven't finished the renovations and I have no inside photos that people would want to see.

I have however come up with a name and before I go to PMP and set it all up I thought I would get some insight from the people on here who know about such things. I thought that " A Nice Place in Nice" would fit the bill. (I did think that A Nice bit of Nice would be good until I googled it and brought up a few sites that I wouldn't want my Grandson to see :oops:) So what do you all think? Is it too long? Although I cannot see how I can shorten it. A Nice is a family name which is why I chose that bit.

I haven't yet decided if I want .fr or .com any feelings on that.

I am a complete numpty when it comes to computers and although I read everything on this site, a good deal of it is way over my head. I am learning though albeit slowly.

Any help would be appreciated.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

This may or not be helpful, but I'm afraid your suggested name just doesn't do it for me and I probably wouldn't click on it if it came up in Google. That kind of word play just makes me cringe (sorry).

It would be best to have .com for your English language site, and .fr for your French language site.
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

Thanks that is helpful actually. I just can't come up with anything else. I wasn't thrilled with it. I was looking for something that might get further forward than page ten.

Back to the drawing board.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

You can create a site on PMP with just a 'work in progress' name and then replace once you have decided upon and registered your own domain name.
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

I will try that. Casscat.

I could have:

vieuxnicevacances.com

but the translation doesn't sound right.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Yup definitely too cheesy and not good for SEO.
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

Which one Kev or did you mean both?

I am really struggling here.
Normandie

Re: About to make a website

Post by Normandie »

Pendragon wrote:I haven't yet decided if I want .fr or .com any feelings on that.
.com is multipurpose - is understood by all nationalities and .fr will make French guests comfortable. If you choose something original that is available in both .com and .fr, I would register both because you can always direct one through to the other if you go with a simple, bi-lingual site.

ps: I'm not sure about the play on Nice / Nice. It risks looking a bit naff and perhaps more to the point, wordplay in English doesn't usually translate to other languages.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Why not go for some keywords in the domain? That then helps you to come up in the searches for those words although that may be less important nowadays; I'm not that techie! You could have two different domain names and redirect one to the other? That then gets round the language/translation difficulties.

Nice, apartment, holiday etc are the sort of words I mean.
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

Thanks. I have abandoned the first idea of a name. I can see it was rubbish.

I thought OldNiceVacations.com would work, using Vacation as opposed to holidays as it is understood by more people, and VieuxNiceVacances.fr Or does that make us sound like a big organisation rather than just me and OH with computer input from GS.

The trouble with being in Nice is it is so big and so many holiday lets all with similar names.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

So maybe you need to opt out of all the scrabbling around for endless versions of names involving Nice/nice and set your site and your apartment apart!

Does your apartment have a name? Or an address? Which quartier is it in? I've seen lots of elegant websites titled (examples only here, not real!) 30ruedupaix, or aumaire, or impassefleurie, or - well, you get my drift! Then use your keywords in your title text. Cheese free site guaranteed :lol:
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

I can see I am not doing very well at this. The flat is in Old Nice and there is another flat that uses the street name. It is around the corner from the B*tch bar but I don't suppose that would be a help even though we would be gay friendly :)

I am so happy to have found this site, I have had so much great information and am much better equipped to deal with renting the place. Although having read the horror stories I am not totally convinced that I really want people in my new flat. If we ever get it finished.

I thought I had it all sorted but can see I was very mistaken, I had no idea that domain names were so difficult to come up with. I should have had a bit of a clue with a previous member having trouble naming his river apartment but thought I had cracked it.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Suggestions.
Think about what language market you are going to aim for.
Look at other websites in the area you are located in and see what their keywords are.
Maybe make something up form those keywords.
Done a quick search using things like Old Nice and Vieux Nice which seem to be overloaded.

A problem for could be that Nice is the same as nice in English. Hence Nice France or Nice French vacation would not work.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

Pendragon wrote:...but I don't suppose that would be a help even though we would be gay friendly :)
Gay Provence? :)

http://www.gay-provence.org/fr/r/recher ... l-gay.html

Re a domain name, make two lists of words that apply to your property in both languages - and don't ignore words that come to mind for no particular reason.

Nice
Provence
vacances
panorama
view
old
new

----------

names of nearby landmarks
your apartment and road name
your quartier name
flowers (types as well as fleurs, for eg)
trees (types as well as arbre)
bees
sea
sunshine
blue sky
butterflies
birds
leaves
(I'm into nature, can you tell? :wink: )

Then write them on small post it notes and try different word combinations from the two lists so you get Nice in the trees (for an apartement with a leafy feel), cielbleunice.com or hibou-vacances or vieuxhiboudeNice if there's any association with owls or other birds, ... not great examples but I don't know anything about your property; even so, you can probably see what I'm suggesting you do...

If you come up with a short list and you'd like opinions, post them in members only so they don't get picked up by search engines.
Last edited by Normandie on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

You certainly have a dilemma there. Nice, being a city and an English adjective does not make the task easy. Nearly everything I tried was already registered.
The best I could come up with was using hyphens like
nice-apartment-france.com

or nicefrancerental.com
or nicefranceapartment.com

It may be an advantage to have France in the name to counteract the fact the problem with the word nice.

things like nicecityapartment.com are available but would they work well for SEO? not sure