taking credit cards

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Dougie

Does paypal convert currencies?

Post by Dougie »

Hi, Getting back to Paypal itself....does anyone know if it converts currencies? E.g. I'm in UK. What happens if someone outwith UK pays in Euros? Does Paypal accept it? Are there extra chrges? Whatever?

Thanks
Dougie
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Until last year we used a US PayPal account and never had any problems accepting Euros, pounds, whatever. As far as I remember, the fees are built into their exchange rate, which is not wonderful but not unfair, either.

Now, we use a French PayPal account so we can transfer funds directly to our French account, and so far we've only accepted funds in Euros, but I don't think currency exchange is a problem there, too. The French account shows all the pages in French, but for payments, you can specify that the buyer is in the UK or US and then things show up in English for them.

Hope that helps!
Brooke
Dougie

Paypal - exchange

Post by Dougie »

Thanks, Vrooje
paolo

Post by paolo »

Welcome to the forum, Dougie! Image

From memory, your PayPal account in the UK comes with dollar, pound and euro ‘accounts’ – that is you can receive payments in those currencies. They are converted to pounds when you transfer money into your bank account. Or you can convert within your PayPal account if you want to.

Someone recently sent me a payment in Canadian dollars by mistake. Then you just click a button to say you want to add Canadian dollars to your accounts, and the payment is accepted.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
DebofTheDales

Surcharge for Americans using credit cards overseas

Post by DebofTheDales »

Hello everyone.

This seems to be a recurring refrain here, but I didn't expect to be posting the first day I registered. However, I have a very important point to make.

I am an American living in the UK - a Yorkshire Yank, if you will. I have credit cards issued by a UK bank, as well as some issued by US banks. I never use my US based credit cards overseas, because all except some smaller US banks and credit unions now charge a the card owner a 2% surcharge on charges made overseas. That makes the effective price for Americans actually 2% higher, at a time when the dollar is at or close to historical lows. Under those circumstances, the credit card surcharge makes it even more unlikely that I would book any holidays abroad.

Some Americans probably don't read the fine print on their credit card terms and will be surprised by this charge, but others (like me) know about it and avoid overseas charges. Those of you who own holiday lets in Europe might want to keep this in mind if you get American inquiries. While you might be offering to do this as gesture of fairness, a proposal to split the credit card company's usual processing charge with the tenant may actually turn bookings away since in actuality, the tenant would end up paying 3.59% surcharge, instead of the expected 1.59%. They might even feel deceived when they get their bill, if they are unaware of the automatic 2% surcharge.

Just a caution. I hope I haven't confused you.

Deb
[/list]
Susan D. "Deb" Darnell
Upscale Arizona Vacation Rental.
Gracious accommodations and sunshine in a hurricane-free zone
http://www.vacationrentals.com/vacation ... 10990.html
http://www.cyberrentals.com/AZ/DarnAZ.html
paolo

Post by paolo »

Welcome to the forum, Deb! Image

Thank you for pointing that out. Do you know whether that also applies to PayPal payments? As an American card-holder would be paying into a US website, presumably not?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Ju

Post by Ju »

There is alot of talk here about paypal, which may or may not be suitable for Moira, but no talk about the alternatives.

We hire a credit card machine from our bank, for which we pay a rental charge (about 25€ a month I think). We then pay a very reasonable 0.6% on the transactions. It's very easy to use, and the money hits our bank account the same day.

We get renters to sign a form giving us permission to take the deposit, and the final payment (on a specific date) from the card. We remind people before we take the final payment, but it means if people opt to pay by credit card their payments are never late.

I know the monthly fees sound high, but for us it works out much cheaper over a year than using paypal.

Ju
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Hi Ju,

Can I ask which bank you use?
Cheers
PC
Ju

Post by Ju »

Can I ask which bank you use?[/quote]

We bank with credit agricole. I don't know whether this was a standard deal we got, but I think you need to have a SIRET (company) number.

Ju