tea and sympathy please

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
bessie

tea and sympathy please

Post by bessie »

Oh just a moan ,if any one thinks holiday guests leave a mess they have not met my past AST tenant at my coastal property.I just wanted to cry.It has taken 2 days to clear rubbish and a week of cleaning a week of painting.All costing because I still have a bad leg.
They had spray painted the walls black and silver ,left six months rent arrears and upset the neighbours .I now find out post has been arriving for names unknown and they have registered on the electrol register's.
Oh and its taken the legal system an age to evict them.
So maybe a bad holiday guest is a one off but at least they !eave on time.
Just for the cherry on the cake my solicitor said not worth chasing in court for debt.
The other side of guests in your property.
My stress levels went off scale.maybe I should take my pain killers and float for the afternoon.
Sorry just a little rant ladies and gents ,more excuses for a break. :?
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Poor Bessie. It never rains, but it pours. :(

Sending you virtual hugs and much sympathy - I'd send you a bunch of flowers, but I can't work out how to resize the photo and post it (technologically incompetent, I know :oops: )
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

you have all my sympathy, and I'd put a brandy in the tea too if I were you!

This was why we went into holiday lets as we initially let on the same basis as you and had all sorts of issues. Not as bad as yours though so yes, cyber hugs go to you.

Will you let it again? I'm doubting it at this moment in time but just wondered what you will do with it now.
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)
bessie

Post by bessie »

I cannot sell after accountant informed me of the tax bill ,but do have good tenants as well.
This property looks nice now so hopefully I will be lucky.
I think I need the full bottle today in my tea that way I won't care.
It makes me so mad people think they can just walk away from debt,I don't think they realise what infro you get from facebook. About their jobs etc. :lol:
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Sympathy from me too. I know your pain. Our palaver with tenant eviction ended up with the estate agent having a heart attack! Yes it was that bad.

I tried everything to get even with him and failed...he knew every trick in the book and the DHS just didn't want to know (he managed to get £8k from us in compensation...long story)

So yes....I 'heart' holidaymakers.

Mousie (still plotting)
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Beachcondo

Post by Beachcondo »

I feel so sorry for you, just the thought of housing someone who would do these kind of things makes me see black spots...
Pessimists only get positive surprises.
Marks

Post by Marks »

Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Hello Bessie, so sorry to hear about your experience.

Whilst it would be very costly to pursue the debt through the court via your solicitor, have you considered a Small Claims Court action?

You do it on line for a nominal fee. It really is not hard.
If you have photos of the damage to the property and any other supporting evidence that will help your case greatly.
On principle, I would give it serious consideration. It may not get you anything like your full costs back but it would make you feel better and stop them doing the same to anyone else as a judgement against them should show up in a credit search.

Some people are really horrid and I am very sorry for you. No one deserves what they have done to you.
bessie

Post by bessie »

Hi zebedee
Thank you ,yes I have just looked it up and I can apply on line without using a solicitor.Why should they expect you to accept it.Sadly this is the way some ASTs are going.
I have decided to do something as it is not fair on myself or my good tenants who work hard and their rent is a priority .
I just hope my day goes better tomorrow ,
Thank you all ,at least the bottle is still full.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

So sorry for you Bessie. This sort of thing makes my blood boil. As usual these days, it is the perpetrator that is highly protected by the law with no real consideration for the real victim here. In protecting tenants against health and safety and unscrupulous bedsit barons of the past it has now gone far too far the other way, with no protection for the landlords.
I'd like to see this sort of behaviour criminalised. :evil:
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Hello Bessie
Are you a member of theNational Landlords Association? The subscription is not very much and you get access to a free telephone helpline which is very good, as well as a lot of other expertise, legal advice and services.
I would recommend them.

If you want any further information about the organisation let me know and I will pm you.
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

So sorry to hear this Bessie - sounds awful for you.

Sending hugs and sympathy. x
teapot

Post by teapot »

Avoiding DSS tenants would be the top of my list and thoroughly checking references second. Essential to avoid the "Jeremy Kyle" set. There is always a core of smart ass tenants because there is always someone willing to help them out. Small claims court, more wasted money, you can sue people if there is a chance of gaining something, someone who has nothing there is no point in putting yourself through more anguish.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I disagree teapot. Unless the fees are exorbitant it's worth pursuing them to have a CCJ made against them. That would be justice even if Bessie doesn't get the money.
bessie

Post by bessie »

I agree nemo ,if no landlord takes action this is what happens because on referencing and credit checking they appear to have a clean record.
Sadly we don't live in an ideal world and people have to claim Dhss housing benefit in some areas ,like the seaside were work is seasonal.It is sad to judge all dhss the same most are grateful to have a home and manage their money with priority bills first but always there is a rotten apple somewhere.
It certainly is different to holidaylets .