Would you ask guests to pay for damaged work surface

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

That's not quite what I was expecting either! Hard to imagine what could have done that - and on both sides of the cooker. Maybe something that has reacted with the oil? How many coats of oil, and which oil, have you got on there, welshfred?

It looks like a sanding job, to be honest - but it would be useful to know what was used/splashed on it (could you ask?).
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I'll hold to the view that IF the guests were fully aware of the need to take special precautions with the worktop, then they are to some extent responsible for their actions. Pursuing them for any form of compensation might be hard work - I knew a top-end kitchen designer who was not alone in holding the opinion that wooden kitchen worktops weren't fit for purpose (susceptibility to marking, high maintenance), which is a strong argument the guests might hit upon and start a ding-dong battle about whether the worktop had been correctly maintained etc etc etc :evil:

If they hadn't been made aware of the special precautions, and if the spattering/spillages/spray would not have caused an issue with a laminate worktop, they can't be held responsible.

Just my 2p worth.
welshfred

Post by welshfred »

Many thanks everyone for your advice.

Both cleaner and guests denying responsibility for damage. 99.9 % sure it was the guest but life is too short and it was clearly an accident so I will return their deposit. I am guessing it is some sort of fat/oil from cooking. Not sure how is has managed to splash everywhere but maybe they were very fatty sausages!

I will sand and oil as soon as I get an opportunity and replace with something more practical at the end of the season.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

welshfred wrote: life is too short
Being able to think and act on that is one of the benefits of being in control of your own business! :D

When I have to replace worktops I'm going to take a serious look at Maia . Maybe by then there'll be lots of evidence as to how well it stands up to abuse.
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

Good decision Fred, we live and learn. Felicity's very sensible and cost effective solution could reduce your immediate changover workload and it might even be a perminent fix if you need to keep your costs down till your ready to make the change.
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
ellerhow

Post by ellerhow »

Try Vim-we scrub our kitchen table with this 'magic white powder'
(untreated sycamore). It might help and from looking at the photo I don't think you have anything to loose.
This is our table top not the one in the holiday let-we have treated that one as guests complained that they were worried about marking it!
Good Luck!
Greenacre

Post by Greenacre »

We have wooden work tops in our own kitchen and I have spilt plenty of stuff on them but never seen a reaction like this! They are only from Wickes so nothing particularly special and we aren't that good at oiling them!! The only places that will stain are areas that have not got much oil left, like where we make tea and the kettle drips, or round the sink - it's mostly water related. I'd sand and re oil - that sorts most marks out! Even when I stood an empty bean can overnight and it left a black ring, a sand and oil got rid of it almost completely. Good luck!
kg1

Post by kg1 »

It does look like frying pan splashes, do you provide a mesh frying pan cover? It also looks like they took little care & must have seen what was happening. Until you get it sanded get a couple of the glass worktop savers that all the supermarkets have - about 12 x 18", that should cover the worst of it.

This thread had put me off wood worktops completely!
teapot

Post by teapot »

Greenacre wrote:We have wooden work tops in our own kitchen and I have spilt plenty of stuff on them but never seen a reaction like this! They are only from Wickes so nothing particularly special and we aren't that good at oiling them!! The only places that will stain are areas that have not got much oil left, like where we make tea and the kettle drips, or round the sink - it's mostly water related. I'd sand and re oil - that sorts most marks out! Even when I stood an empty bean can overnight and it left a black ring, a sand and oil got rid of it almost completely. Good luck!
Ditto.
Don't forget to oil the underside where you can otherwise they can absorb moisture which can cause the to curl.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Wonkeye

Post by Wonkeye »

FelicityA wrote:I have a laminate worktop which is also not practical as it can be damaged by heat and careless cutting. I bought (at Sainsburys) two large granite slabs - £14 each I think - which I put either side of the hob/oven.
Sainsburys don't seem to stock these any more but we've just bought 2 round ones at Dunelm Mill. They look very smart, either side of the hob. 30cm diameter.
http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/black-g ... tor-108381
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

Fred, we have oak worktops and I bought two glass worktop protectors from Tesco for just a few quid each. Seems to have kept them ok so far, though we do need to sand and oil every few months or so.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-glass ... 2-3918.prd
Beachcondo

Post by Beachcondo »

To me it looks like they have been using a frying pan and the butter/oil has turned brown. Then someone has added liquid to the hot fat and it has splattered all over.

You might very well get that more times, and I guess that the hot fat can penetrate the oiled surface more easily.
Pessimists only get positive surprises.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Splattered fat without a doubt.
A few decades ago I had a lodger who cooked everything at high temperature in the frying pan and I recognise the symptoms! :roll:
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com