Feeling sad but so touched.

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Bunny

Feeling sad but so touched.

Post by Bunny »

Last year we had guests who stand out as being the best we have ever had in 9 years. They were delightful and very much cup full type of people. They hoped to return this year and we have kept in email contact. Soon after they left they told me that Mr guest had been feeling tired after their trip and had just been diagnosed with cancer. I've just had an email to say that sadly he passed away in his sleep. We all have the occasional moan about our letting experiences but this has certainly helped me put things into perspective a bit today (currently got nightmare guests in). I'm just so touched that in her grief she would even think to let me, of all people know.
rammy100

Post by rammy100 »

I completely empathise with you Bunny. I think it is very easy to forget that most of our moans (mine included) are completely trivial in the scheme of things.

We had a regular house swap with a couple a few years back - they only lived 60 miles away and we traded countryside for the coast - so it was easy. We only ever met briefly, for some reason, to hand over keys and the like but they were lovely. After a gap one year I received an email from Mr swap to say that his wife had passed away pretty suddenly, like your guest, through cancer. It made me feel sad so I understand your feelings.

As to your current guests, just tell them they are a nightmare if it makes you feel better.

A big hug from across the water to you.
Here we go again........
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

That's so sad. I wonder sometimes about what's happened to the regular guests that don't return, in the knowledge that it may well be tragic news, so it's lovely that she wanted to share that with you. With social media and more people ringing, I feel ever more connected with my guests lives, for the good as well as the bad news.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Bunny what a lovely thoughtful post...and yes it does make you focus on the real things in life.
Sometimes, even though you don't spend much time with some people, there is, for whatever reason, a connection....and Mrs Guest must have happy memories of their stay and you.
Creating good memories is the greatest gift of all.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Mouse wrote:and Mrs Guest must have happy memories of their stay and you.

Mousie
x
Yes, I totally agree. I emailed something along those lines in my reply. There's nothing I like more than when I see guests (particularly with children) lining up outside the cottage for a photograph, knowing that one day they will look back and say "do you remember when .....?" Can't beat it.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Mouse wrote:Bunny what a lovely thoughtful post...and yes it does make you focus on the real things in life.
Sometimes, even though you don't spend much time with some people, there is, for whatever reason, a connection....and Mrs Guest must have happy memories of their stay and you.
Mousie x
+1
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

Mouse wrote:...and Mrs Guest must have happy memories of their stay and you.
And that, in a nutshell, is (I'm guessing) why so many here try so hard to get everything right. We want to enable those (good!) memories. Congrats, Bunny, there's proof you really succeeded.
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

The best comment I have got in my visitors book was from a family last year who stated that their children said it was the best holiday they had ever had.
The reason I love that comment is for the very same reason as mentioned- I hope that they will have created some wonderful memories.
Mind you they can add to them as they are coming back this year!