4 day booking - should I take it?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
KathyG

4 day booking - should I take it?

Post by KathyG »

Hello everyone,

We have one week left in August, 8-15th and have had a request for 4 of those days. Would I be foolish to turn that down in the hope of getting a full week? Only 10 days left anyway........

This is our first year renting so I'm a bit out of my depth! Help!

Kathy
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

At this late stage I would, but make sure you're not giving it away at too low a rate, after all you have to changeover exactly the same as for a one week stay.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Wow Helen that was quick!!

I think I will, it's normally £1200 so I was thinking of suggesting £1000 or should I make it lower do you think?

Kathy
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Kathy, what a gorgeous house!!!! This sort of thing always gives me a headache too. I am charged a percentage of my rent for my cleaning and keyholding etc, but this increases if I have 2 changeovers in a week. I can never judge how much extra to charge!!! Sometimes I think renters don't realise that some costs aren't less if they rent for a shorter period. If i increase thr rent the amount i pay goes up too, so it's a vicious circle.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

It's such a fragile balance isn't it! Don't want to lose the possible booking but also don't want to charge too little as I'm afraid they won't look after it, think I'll sleep on it and decide in the morning. They're Spanish by the way so it would be my first one from the Homelidays site which I'm quite excited about.

Thank you for your comments about the house, we've worked long and hard at it for the last 2 years and in a way I was hoping not to let that final week so that we could have a proper relaxing holiday ourselves but I really don't think I can turn it down!

Kathy
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

kathy, that's a different matter. I have been in that position myself. I have let our summer hols go in August. My head said we needed the booking, my heart, the holiday!!! Give them it, then have the rest of the week. If they are filling the house , charge the £1000, if not give them a bit more discount, but not too much.
Angel

Post by Angel »

I charge per day, and add £20 for rentals less than 7 days.
Ju

Post by Ju »

I'd stick with the £1000 and see what they say. Certainly don't go less than £800.

Ju
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Thank you Helen, Angel and Ju for your excellent input, it's so good knowing I can talk things over with you all on this site.

I have just sent them an email suggesting £1000/1400€ and as we installed a 15' pool last weekend I sent them details of that too so am eagerly waiting their response now!

I'll let you know what happens.

Kathy
Vally

Post by Vally »

For part weeks ( out of season or if there is a cancellation)I divide by the days in a week x the number of days they want +a bit, same as Angel
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I do the same but only out of season. Not sure what I'd do for an in season week but as it is so close I'd probably take the booking at something like 75% of normal I think. They too will be hard pressed to get anything so nice at this time if the year at such short notice, you might even get your £1000 :-)
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

I also charge pro rata for less than a week - but would add a bit for changeover etc cos the full rate includes the changeover fee which as others have said, is the same cost whether a week or a few days.

have you clarified with them how many people will be staying? We have a house in spain and whenever I have had spanish enquiries they have always wanted to go over capacity - ie 10 or 12 people in a house that sleeps a max of 8!!!

I would love to take some spanish bookings but have always so far had to turn them down because they never are under my maximum occupancy..

so now I always make sure I ask, particularly with spanish enquiries.... if you are giving a discounted rate you definitely don't want over occupancy.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Well they've said 3 couples, for a house that sleeps 12 so I'm happy with that.

Still haven't had any response from them...........

Kathy