No bookings!

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Laura B

No bookings!

Post by Laura B »

We finally managed to get our cottage ready to go on with Sykes two weeks ago. We have had no bookings yet. Is this par for the course...we are completely new to this (as if you hadn't worked that out!) and just don't know what to expect. We are based in Devon, but nearer Dartmoor than the sea, sleep 5 adults & 2 kids. It's all a bit demoralising, we didn't expect to be fully booked overnight but hoped that we might have had 1 or 2 bookings for the season. Is this because we missed Easter, and put it on too late ? Any thoughts on this would be really welcome.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Laura don't lose hope yet! 2 wks is a short time.
I'm sure the UK rental people will be along soon to help and advise but as a idea why don't you ask your rental agent what you should expect.. .they should be able to guide you (though sadly Sykes doesn't have a good reputation on LMH)

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Many of the popular spots such as coastal areas etc get many of their peak bookings from January onwards, but if other places are full then you could expect some last minute bookings. I know people are still enquiring for the summer even now.

Larger properties are more likely to get school holidays and perhaps weekends filled. Has Sykes priced it to make it attractive to smaller groups or couples out of yhese periods?

There are quite a few threads here about Sykes; it might be worth reading a few. Remember of course that those that are happy with them won't post about it here in the main, whereas those with issues with them do!

Good luck, most regular posters here are doing their own marketing rather than using an agency, so we are slightly biased in our thoughts on the bigger agencies.
Laura B

Post by Laura B »

Thank you Nemo and Mouse. I will speak to Sykes about it next week. I have read most of the stuff about them on the forum, but as I am new to all this and already run another business I just thought that for the first year I would use one of the big boys. Guess I will have to wait and see as I am signed up now. They market it for last minute deals & short breaks but not specifically smaller groups...I may mention this to them.

Thanks again
tavi

Post by tavi »

It's a bit unnerving but it will happen Laura!

Probably Nemo's right - a lot of people will have booked well in advance for the summer, but there's bound to be more who were unable to do so early...

The bookings will come.

:)
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Hello Laura, if you have the time to look back at the forum to the beginning of the year you will see that there is a trend in many areas to book later ie nearer the holiday time. Some of this can be people who are looking for late availability discounts etc, but as a trend I can certainly tell you I send out less "deposit received balance due on xxx date" letters than I do thank for for payment in full letters than I did a couple of years ago.Dont lose heart, this is a bank holiday weekend and people may be looking. The late onset of stable good weather is not helping but once the warmer days arrive you will see a difference.

I know you are busy working, but a couple of suggestions that might help.
Do you allow short breaks? If you haven't considered this before it would help you to get started. More people are looking to book cottages as short breaks.
Do you have a tourist information reasonably locally? If so pop in and have a chat about how you can use them to send out details of your property. You may need to supply some business cards or (dare I say it) a brochure on the property but it needn't be too detailed.
It doesn't look like you have a website - you will struggle without one. I can recommend a DIY template from a company called Promote My Place and give you a discount code if you wish. I have just set up a new website with them and you can start off with something very simple and add pages and additional photos when you get time.
Finally, don't let Sykes get away with not pushing you as a new property. Everything will be new that you supply and this does appeal to many people. Do be firm and consistent with pressing Sykes for action.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

You're getting good advice - the essence of which is Stay Calm!

Our area is not dissimilar in market to Zebedee's, and I've become used to still having August space available in June/July - it sells, and not at a discount. The trend seems to be that away from the traditional coastal resorts and major hotspots, people are booking later and later. Being fully booked by February used to be considered a healthy sign, now it's probably an indication that a property is too cheap.

Do seriously consider short breaks, weekends Fri - Mon am and midweek Mon - Fri am. Priced at say 75% of your full week rate they are worthwhile, and they are a great way of getting your very best form of onward marketing which is personal recommendation. We do short breaks all year and it's common for new guests to arrive for a weekend and before they leave the've booked a full week at a peak time - then they go and tell their friends.

+1 to getting a website - essential.
+1 to not letting Sykes push you around or devalue your business - have you checked how the rates they've set compare? If people see you as too cheap they'll pass you by.
Keep us posted!
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

I agree entirely - don't panic. The world has moved on from being full by Christmas. Now people don't know whether they can take the leave/pay for it 1 month before.

I have 3 july weeks still going spare, had a few nibbles on them but I am holding firm to let at least 2 of them. This would have been unheard of 5-10 years ago, they do go & will go.

Good luck, hold your nerve at least you are entering the market in uncertain times, things can only get better.
Essar

Post by Essar »

Welcome to the world of holiday rentals and the forum.

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions; we've all done it ourselves - we are also known to give dumb advice too - not GreenBarn though (my hero!).

Take time to delve deep as there is tons of info somewhere in this labrynth of a forum. :lol:
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
colinc1234

Post by colinc1234 »

Hello Laura

Most agencies will promote new cottages quite well when they come on board. Newsletters and a listing on their new cottage page. For Sykes, think of their huge database of email addresses and the large number of website visitors - your first month should be better than the next 6 months.
Might also be worth checking that your cottage is ticked for all the quick links which appear on the left hand column of their website. Things like "cottages with a hot tub"

Finally - it is always worth asking if they can tell you how many visitors viewed your page and how this compares with other cottages.

Good luck

Colin
Sobered by the smell of greed everywhere
I write a new poem and again think of you
www.bookourcottage.com
Laura B

Post by Laura B »

Wow, thank you all - I really do feel much better! I guess after. months of refurbishment and expense I got myself into a negative frame of mind, but now I feel much more positive and will be chasing Sykes to keep the pressure on amongst other things on the "to do" list.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

I agree with everything said so far. The main message is don't panic!

We bought our second cottage (in Devon) in May 2012, had a complete refurb, including installing central heating and a kitchen and couldn't take any photos until July-ish. After lots of problems with builders we weren't ready to accept guests until the second week in August and we still filled the rest of August and early September. So if you're ready now I'm sure that you won't have any problem filling the peak summer weeks and you may well get some shoulder bookings for June too.

We also used Sykes when we bought our first house and they were great at helping us get started quickly in a business we knew nothing about. However, they do tend to under price and as soon as we were confident enough to start taking our own bookings our turnover went up dramatically.

So I recommend getting started on your own web site as soon as you can spare the time.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Laura B

Post by Laura B »

Thanks for that Jo. We finally got our first booking today! For the end of August so maybe that's the start.

Had a sneaky peak at your websites (hope you don't mind,) what pretty cottages you have and your sites are very clear and very attractive.

I shall have to get my act together. Does it take you much time to deal with the bookings and all the paperwork?
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

Laura welcome to LMH and congratulations on your first booking.

I have had a quick look at your Sykes advert and I would recommend getting some better photographs taken. Good photo's definitely sell and I don't think yours do the property justice. I know it is new but the rooms look a bit bare.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Ditto anya752000. I just had a look too and it's a beautiful property. You do need to give it some life with flowers and food on the table for example. Please tell them to remove the one of the toilet as well - what were they thinking putting that one on! Our pet hate here is to have toilets on show - they really don't need to be seen. :wink: