Is there a hospital in this village?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
barbersdrove

Is there a hospital in this village?

Post by barbersdrove »

This is a first for me. We are a small town (pop 4000) situated 8 miles from the nearest City. This is made very clear in our advertising. I emphasise that we are rural.

This week guests arrived from Seville with 2 young children. They arrived in a taxi having no vehicle of their own. They had been travelling all day on a plane and then 4 trains to get to us and are only here for 3 nights.

They were so tired when they arrived and although I have a welcome hamper of course they needed to go shopping. I ended up driving the man to the shops as they had no idea how to get there and it was a 10 minute walk there.

On the drive there he asked if there was a hospital in the town as one of the children has asthma badly needing to sleep with a machine to help his breathing and often has to go for emergency treatment as his throat closes up. This is a weekend and a bank holiday weekend at that. Yes we have a good surgery but of course it closes at the weekend. So we are now on standby to drive him to the hospital should this happen! Their language skills are not great and explaining about the various types of service the NHS has and how long it can take for an ambulance to get here wasn't eaasy!

The to cap it all yesterday morning the taxi arrived to take them to the station. A day premature and they had already gone out for the day ( by bus which comes once an hour or taxi I don't know ) and left all the doors unlocked.

I will be pleased when they depart today as I'm feeling very responsible for them all. I know I don't need to but of course I do. In fact I will be on tenterhooks until I know they have arrived home safely.
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)
greenbarn

Re: Is there a hospital in this village?

Post by greenbarn »

barbersdrove wrote:I'm feeling very responsible for them all. I know I don't need to but of course I do.
The unseen, unheralded essence of the business we're in, beautifully summarised.

Sending karma!
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I'm stunned by the whole story. They cannot be such townies that the concept of 'rural' is unfamiliar to them? I hope they take some lovely memories of their holiday back to Spain with them, but I also hope they take back some lessons in how to prepare for a stay in the countryside! I should think that you'll be in need of a stiff drink by now.
Normandie

Re: Is there a hospital in this village?

Post by Normandie »

barbersdrove wrote:I will be pleased when they depart today as I'm feeling very responsible for them all. I know I don't need to but of course I do.
That so resonates with me. 8)

Hope your next guests are a bit more... field-savvy! :lol:
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Totally understand where you're coming from, barbersdrove - you'll breathe a long sigh of relief when they've gone and you don't have to worry about them!
Casscat wrote:They cannot be such townies that the concept of 'rural' is unfamiliar to them?
Don't you believe it, Casscat! We don't encounter it as much now as it does take quite a bit of effort and determination to come to the Pyrenees, but when we were in north Norfolk - in Cley next the Sea, which let's face it isn't exactly in the middle of nowhere - we'd regularly get guests tottering around the cobbles and the marshes in gold kitten heels and asking where the town centre was :lol: :roll:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Sending sympathy and ditto all that has been said. What a shame they didn't bother to do more research before booking. Their lack of research has ended up with you feeling responsible even though you're not. Just as well they didn't end up at mine; they really would have been cut off and with no onsite owner to help either!

Hope all passes quietly and no hospital dashes needed.
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

Well, I just went to see if they were ready to depart and they have gone. Left it all unlocked, but noting I have asked to be done before departure has been done. Had to hunt for the keys but did find them. They have left it spotless though.

I will have to see if they send an email or anything if not then I will just have to learn to live with the uncertainty of how they got on after they left here. :) ...............and breath.............
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

What a family! At least they left it spotless which is a blessing. I hope they survived their journey home.
Fleur
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I too can totally empathise. Though I have come to realise that many people seem quite content to live minute to minute and not worry about anything until it happens.
Also, if my Spanish friends are anything to go by planning isn't a big part of their personality! It took my friends husband years to grasp the concept of budget airlines and booking ahead to get good priced seats. In the end she told him she would book her own when she wanted to (early) and he could do what he liked.
She had 2 holidays alone before he started to book early :lol:

So I suppose what I'm saying is that what can be a worry to us, isn't to 'live by the moment' people.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Marks

Post by Marks »

Mouse wrote: Also, if my Spanish friends are anything to go by planning isn't a big part of their personality!
Last minute Larrys the lot of them :wink:

Mrs M is on the committee of our neighbours association. Meetings are usually arranged with 24 hours notice or less :?
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

I received this late last night;

"Hello We have just arrived home. We will never forguet your house and your kindness,thank you for everything
Thanks again"

I can't believe that they came over from Spain just for 3 nights here with 2 little ones. I thought they must be stopping off here on their way somewhere else. It must have cost them a fortune too with the travel costs.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Aw, what a sweet message :)
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

quote Mousie
Also, if my Spanish friends are anything to go by planning isn't a big part of their personality!
Sooo true! A friend of mine is standing for local elections. She had a txt at 1.30 one day last week asking her to attend a meeting that evening about arrangements for election day :roll:
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com