OK, here goes...

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
johnandtahra

OK, here goes...

Post by johnandtahra »

After looking at a number of other property websites, we decided to try something a bit different. As we're not finished our renovations, there's not a lot by way of pictures, and I'm aware that some of the styling needs tweaking, but I bring you....

http://nethergate.fiferiviera.com/

...a wee spot on the web for our about-to-be-completed* holiday let.

Constructive comments welcome. I know that there's also a bit of a dearth of actual detail, but we wanted to have something up there now rather than hold off until it was perfect.

Ta,

J&T...
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

It has potential and I actually quite like the 1 page scrolling templates.

Starting with the "home" page. I'm afraid it's so dull that I would not feel inclined to click Find Out More. Your opening page has to sell your product and people don't want to stare at a grey, almost featureless picture, reading the scrolling text to find out why they should proceed further.

Scrolling down, you start to describe the property but I haven't even seen it yet or even know where it is.

Moving further down, there is text which I struggled to read on the background image. Maybe ok on a large monitor but I'm sat here with a very small laptop. I had to move it out of the way of the paw prints.

The 4 photos in a line. They are all different sizes so nothing is aligned.

You have no security on your contact form so expect a lot of automated spam after a while.

Then the calendar all in a narrow column in the middle. You've used Dateblocker so I know it doesn't have to be like that. Unfortunately though, while the template is responsive, Dateblocker is not, so perhaps this is why you chose 1 column.

I personally think you'll have to do much more work for the site to be beneficial to your business but you should have all the elements there in the template to make it a great site.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I like it :) I think it is different and once you have some lovely interior shots it will be a very nice site indeed. I cannot comment on the tech aspects as that's not my field, but as a 'work in progress' website I think it works well.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

I like it myself but can't comment technically. The one thing I would change is the road bridge picture for local attractions. Maybe a picture of Edinburgh instead?
johnandtahra

Post by johnandtahra »

Thanks, as we said its a starting point. The front page may be pale I guess looking at it again, its the view from the beach and we were going for calm.... :) More photos and info to come, interesting point about the Bridge photo too, obviously we have a lot of Landmarks we can use. At the time it was something quick and out of copyright as we've been a bit busy to take photos further afield.
As to the calendar being in a straight line that was purely a fix so it worked on mobiles. I was static so frozen when you were scrolling and you could only see half of it on IOS and Android.

Thanks again, but back to painting and hanging doors @
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Hello,
I would tend to agree with the above comments about the colours on the opening page. With the reputation (probably unfairly) that some parts of Scotland might have for drizzle mist or rain I would go for a sunny view, or if you wanted something different. Maybe a sunrise or sunset????
I do really like the website design though.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Well that's something different and interesting; a whole new method for a property website, I would think. I am no expert, but I like it. Also like your dog picture!
Robin S

Post by Robin S »

Lovely looking property! My 2c worth :)

One page scrolling templates are very "in" at the moment... my only caveat would be ensuring you have clear calls to action to drive user behaviour. I'd add some contrast to the "find out more" button at the bottom of the first page for example.

Your content boxes on the about page contain good content but i feel could do with some thumbnail images of the property vs the (default?) images to the left of the text.

I'd prioritise images of the property as the first option on the images page... scratch that. I'd add a *load* more pictures of the property itself on the gallery page. Maybe still work in progress if you're still working on the interior?

The availability calendar could / would ideally be laid out in a bit of a wider grid vs each month under each other if you have the ability to re-jig?
964kevin

Post by 964kevin »

Very nice feel, and quite responsive too.

A good idea on the landing page, and it might be me on our 2Mb connection, but it was a tad slow to load.

Kevin
http://www.encantada-vacation.com

Our little piece of Florida, never get tired of being there. Love it and the people to bits.