Is it a bit much to call a guest at work?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
edinburgh

Is it a bit much to call a guest at work?

Post by edinburgh »

A guest is three weeks past her balance due date (for a booking in two months) and has been out of contact for a month.

I appreciate that I am entitled to advertise those dates again, but I'd sooner not mess up someone's holiday. However, this is a business, and I need to ensure maximum occupancy.

The guest won't respond to emails either directly or through HomeAway. HomeAway have also kindly sent her a message themselves. I've tried phoning her landline on several occasions, but it just rings out. There is no answerphone.

In case she is "hiding from me", I have made it clear in my email that if she wishes to cancel, then I will not require payment further than the deposit, and that if successfully re-let I will return as much of the deposit as is possible. So she has a get-out.

She has a very unusual name, and lives in a smallish town in Washington State. A Google search reveals she works for the US Federal Reserve, and gives an email address and office number.

I really don't want to cancel this woman's holiday, but I really need to act soon if I am to re-let successfully.

Would it be out of line for me to attempt to contact her at work, or would that be acceptable, considering she risks losing her holiday?
tavi

Post by tavi »

I would.... three weeks late and no contact, - I would need to know asap if she has a problem (personal, illness, financial) so I can get the weeks back on the market for everyone's benefit.

Or you could just reopen your calendar and advise her by email that you've done this. What do your t & c say?
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

Yeah, I am concerned there's an illness and that's why she's been out of contact. However, the booking also includes her husband and son, all of whom apparently live with her.

Terms and Conditions allow me to remarket the property as soon as the deposit deadline is missed.

I'll sit on it and wait for a few more replies, but if the consensus is contact, I'll try phoning her work on Monday :)
Last edited by edinburgh on Sat May 09, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Yes, phone her at work.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
newtimber

Re: Is it a bit much to call a guest at work?

Post by newtimber »

[quote="edinburgh"
She has a very unusual name, and lives in a smallish town in Washington State. A Google search reveals she works for the US Federal Reserve, and gives an email address and office number.

[/quote]

Is this the same email address she gave when she booked? If it's different, then you cannot contact her as you do not know for certain it's the same person.
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

This is the problem, she didn't give anything other than her name, address, phone number and email address. The work details are things that I've tracked down.

Yeah, I feel very uneasy about contacting her at work - but I'd hate to think that her holiday had been ruined because I couldn't reach her. I have a vision of her landline being unplugged or something, and her email going to spam.

Mind, what's the worst that could happen if she was annoyed I'd contacted her at work? I don't need to worry too much about it being the wrong person, as I can frame my question in such a way that I'd know (a stranger wouldn't know where she was travelling, when, how long for, etc)
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

If she is genually having a problem eg family illness, at least you have gone "the extra mile" by trying to contact her at work.

If the person at work is not her, or if she is very unhappy that you have contacted her at work you are no worse off and know to open up the booking immediately in the hope that you get another booking.

It really is not your fault, she is well past the date for paying the balance and has not been in touch or replied to you.

On reflection if you are anxious about contacting her via the work number I think you need to to open up the booking anyway. Don't wait any longer or else you will miss out.
brendan

Post by brendan »

+1. Call her, e mail her and open up the dates when you've advised you're doing so.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

If she didn't want to be contacted on her work number she wouldn't have given it.
Robin S

Post by Robin S »

+1 call her. But remember the time difference :)
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

kyreniagirl wrote:If she didn't want to be contacted on her work number she wouldn't have given it.
If I'm reading correctly she didn't provide her work number, edinburgh tracked it down.
If that's the case I'm not convinced about the ethics of using that information to call her at work.
Having tried all the means of communication provided by the guest without response, the only remaining move is to notify the guest, using the means they supplied (including postal address), that as the balance is now x weeks overdue you regard them as having cancelled the booking, then try and reduce your losses. If you're feeling generous you could include a deadline giving her say another week before you regard it as cancelled.
I don't think there's anything more you can reasonably be expected to do.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

edinburgh wrote:This is the problem, she didn't give anything other than her name, address, phone number and email address. The work details are things that I've tracked down.

Mind, what's the worst that could happen if she was annoyed I'd contacted her at work? I don't need to worry too much about it being the wrong person, as I can frame my question in such a way that I'd know (a stranger wouldn't know where she was travelling, when, how long for, etc)
You might be speaking to the ex-wife for example. In order to find our whether you're talking to the right person, you have to ask them questions which will give them information which is private to you and your guest. (No-one is going to answer questions from a complete stranger on the phone without first ascertaining that they are genuine - i.e. the caller has to give information that only a genuine caller would know)
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

If she hasn't given you permission to contact her that way then I wouldn't do it, there could be a good reason.

It might not be the same person - could be a relative or an ex-spouse who might not appreciate the intrusion or it could be out of date information - maybe she's been fired or resigned. She may not be allowed to receive personal calls at work.

Since she presumably knew when she originally booked that the balance was due by a certain date and you've sent reminders and held on for 3 weeks I think that you've already done as much as you can and it's time to open the dates on the calendar.

Send her a last email to explain that you've done this, that you consider the booking cancelled and you'll refund the deposit if you manage to rebook.

She might get in touch or, if she's had a major crisis, she might be relieved that it's one less thing to worry about.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

Thank you all for your comments. I think, on balance, I shall not contact her at work for some of the reasons stated by others.

The guest has already been given a "just say the word and you'll hear no more" get out, so I'm inclined to believe that she isn't getting my emails.

Last week she was given until this coming Wednesday to make contact. I'll therefore re-open the dates on Thursday and email her to let her know that she can reclaim them if they remain available.

Thanks all. What a strange situation it is!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Of course you could try snail mail with a final ultimatum.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !