no water...do we compensate

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.
aasta

no water...do we compensate

Post by aasta »

Hello...10.305PM tonight our water supply stopped. We have our own well and the pressure tank was showing no pressure. Called our electrician and he will come early tomorrow morning......
All guests still had their lights on, so knocked and profusely apologized and gave everyone bottled water and a bucket filled from the pool to flush toilets. Hopfully electrician can sort out problem in morning.
But do we offer guests a compensation of some sort for the inconvenience...??
Everyone was/seemed to be very understanding .......but....
aasta
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

This is the sort of problem you can't anticipate. However, you have shown yourself to be reactive and done what you can to mitigate the problem.

I don't think actual monetary compensation is necessary unless your water is off for longer than expected. Maybe a bottle of wine or something similar (local delicacy) to say "thank you for your understanding".
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
French Cricket

Re: no water...do we compensate

Post by French Cricket »

aasta wrote: But do we offer guests a compensation of some sort for the inconvenience...??
I'm sorry but I laughed at that :lol:

I'd hold fire on any decisions about compensation until I knew what was happening this morning - as PW says you've been proactive, kept the guests informed, called your electrician (on a Sunday night!) and got a rendezvous arranged ... no-one could do more. Obviously if the problem is a more serious enduring one that might be different, but if all gets resolved this morning - and I hope it does - I'd just make some nice cakes for tea or something!
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

I don't think actual monetary compensation is necessary unless your water is off for longer than expected. Maybe a bottle of wine or something similar (local delicacy) to say "thank you for your understanding".
+1
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)
Normandie

Re: no water...do we compensate

Post by Normandie »

aasta wrote:But do we offer guests a compensation of some sort for the inconvenience...??
What do your Ts&Cs say? Ours say that no compensation or refunds for 'stuff' outside our control but I guess well water is a bit more 'responsibility of the owner' than town water supplies being cut off or having low pressure.

I'd wait and see before offering compensation. As others have said, you've been proactive and you'll know more when the electrician has visited. If it's good news, take the news over with a bottle of wine or similar to say thank you for your understanding. Whatever the news, keep them informed. If the problem goes on, you might need to find a kind neighbour or similar who will allow your guests to shower if that's possible.

Hope all is resolved and back to normal this morning. :)
aasta

Post by aasta »

Thanks for your input...situations like this make me very nervous...our T&C does state that we are not responsible for "acts of God"!! (Now that might be considered a bit blasphmeous by some ....so better change wording!!!!)
Anyways electrician was here at 8.30 and we need a new pump. We should have water again by late this afternoon. Everyone was cheerful at breakfast....and relieved when told water would be back...
Will put a bottle of wine in each room with a "thank-you for understanding" note.....
aasta
Marta West

Post by Marta West »

Guest usually are very understanding of things you can´t control.

Nice bottle of wine and a cake for tea will do the trick :-)