twin beds

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.
pete

twin beds

Post by pete »

we changed our twin room for a double and a single bed as it seemed more flexible, sometimes we find that a couple who just wanted a double room have used both beds, now while its annoying to change the 2 beds the other day a couple did this then remade the single bed, fortunately mrs p noticed that the quilt was not as she would have left it so was able to change it, perhaps the couple thought they would have to pay extra for taking the 2 beds,

so now I ask does any one charge more for twin beds ?

and how can we get them to tell us if they have used the other, mrs p thought of a little note in the bed, like please leave the covers back when you have slept here ?
Marta West

Post by Marta West »

I always confirm the amount of guests.
In your case , I would just make the double one and put a bedcover in the single one....they can lay on in but don´t use it to sleep. As I always leave extra bed linnen, if they want they can make it themself and solves your problem I guess :-)
aasta

Post by aasta »

We have two rooms in which beds can be converted to two single beds....this is noted on our website and guests make the request when booking. We don´t charge more for this service....had not even thought to do so....
aasta
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

I have a kingsize and a single in one of our rooms, Pete. Both get made up with matching bed linen and it's the visitors' choice as to what they sleep in. I don't second-guess them and assume that because they're a couple they will only use the double bed. Nor do I ask in advance. They're booking the room and how they decide to sleep is their choice on the night (as it were!) If it's friends travelling together and using it as a twin I wouldn't charge them extra. The double bed has a firm mattress and the single a slightly softer mattress so sometimes one prefers the single anyway.

If I can see that the bedding is till pristinely ironed with creases undisturbed, I might not wash the bedding on the single but usually I just do both beds. The pillows are usually the immediate giveaway that both beds have been used.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

You just can't make assumptions about who will sleep where - we had one married couple who, on seeing the double room and the twin room, said "oh good, I'll sleep in the big bed and you can snore in the other room!" :lol:

I would have thought that being a B&B, you would be charging per person rather than per room, so whether they both squash into the single :lol: or use both beds, you've covered the laundry with your charges. I sometimes find that although a couple may sleep together in the double, they also use the twin beds - the duvet covers (used as a bedspread in the summer) are rumpled and/or slightly gritty - probably from bags being dumped on top.

Use of ... is included in the price, so no point moaning when they DO use it :lol: - just rub your hands with glee on the occasions when it isn't used! :lol: :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Never come across anywhere that charges more for twin beds - and to be honest I wouldn't stay anywhere that did as it would come across as extraordinarily mean!

In your situation, Pete, I'd simply change both beds each time as it's really not on to ask everyone what their sleeping arrangements are going to be/have been. And even if they've only used one bed, they've probably lounged around on the other.

BTW PW, chambres d'hôtes here always charge by the room, not per person - in fact even back in the UK I never came across any that charged per person (we never did, even back in the 1980s).
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

French Cricket wrote:BTW PW, chambres d'hôtes here always charge by the room, not per person...
If it's a couple travelling with an older child (say) who stay in the double + single bed room then there is a supplement for the extra person to take account of the extra towels, breakfast, etc - and I know you know that, FC, but I thought I'd mention it for completeness. There are three places but the room is priced on the basis of two adults... I have had three adults - women on a cycling holiday - stay in the room.

They cleared the breakfast table (which I love - I think it's great when people get stuck into everything I provide) so I was glad of the extra person supplement that morning. :wink:
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Completeness is always good, Normandie :lol:

We've had guests clearing the breakfast table this week too, though not quite in the way you've mentioned! We've been serving breakfast outside, in the eating barn, for several days, which is quite a schlep from the kitchen ... it's been going on till quite late as we've had two couples staying who didn't know each other but who've got on like a house on fire - and each day when they've finished they've formed a convoy bringing everything back to the kitchen for us. They did the same the evening we all had dinner outside too. Sweet :lol: .

Sorry for thread creep! :oops:
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

French Cricket wrote:Completeness is always good, Normandie :lol:
:oops: :wink:
French Cricket wrote:...and each day when they've finished they've formed a convoy bringing everything back to the kitchen for us. They did the same the evening we all had dinner outside too.
It is so satisfying when people are that happy and confortable with their environment.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Normandie wrote: It is so satisfying when people are that happy and confortable with their environment.
Quite. We waved one couple off this morning (the others are here for two weeks and still have another few days) and there was a tear in all our eyes ...
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

French Cricket wrote:BTW PW, chambres d'hôtes here always charge by the room, not per person - in fact even back in the UK I never came across any that charged per person (we never did, even back in the 1980s).
Aah, I see. I had assumed that because of the breakfast bit, it would be charged per person in order to know how many croissants/rolls/whatever to provide. But I guess it's more of an "X per night based on 2 sharing" with an adjustment up if the room will sleep more than 2, sort of basis?

Anyway, however the room charge is worked out, I think most of us (if not all) are in agreement that you cannot charge extra just because the guest has used a facility (the single bed) that was there.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
pete

Post by pete »

thank you all for your thoughts, we have never charged for using the 2 beds but we would have liked her to say that she had used it (or made her hubby) instead she just made it back up ! maybe expecting to be charged and as we never have charged or been charged we wondered why, still no harm done