Copying code from my website

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
la vache!

Copying code from my website

Post by la vache! »

I've had an accident when trying to change my homepage from index.shtml to index.html in Dreamweaver. To cut a long story short, my webhost has reloaded my site, so everything is OK, but I know that the page files I have on my public.html site are not right, and next time I go into make changes and ftp the pages, I will mess the site up again. If I want to copy the pages as they are now, do I just go to source and copy and save the files to overwrite the wrong files I have on Dreamweaver at the moment?
Any advice gratefully received!!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Susan
This may be way-off beam, but I had the same problem messing around with Dreamweaver, converting a site from Go Live, with Dreamweaver deciding randomly to favour .htm instead of .html extensions on the files. I went through manually changing them all to correct it.

Could it be a similar problem?

Goat
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Not sure goat, I thought .htm and .html were the same! Whatever I did I completely confused DW.
Anyway, panic over, I FTP'd the files from the website to my public_html file and everything is back to normal now. I'm still not sure why an .shtml page should get me thrown out of DW over a .html page, but there you go. It can stay as shtml for the moment, I've had enough excitement for one day and can't afford to have my website corrupted by my ineptitude anymore!
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

I use DW, but a separate FTP function so I'm not dependant on these anomalies.

This one is free, and works well enough : http://www.coffeecup.com/direct-ftp

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Highams Park Harry

Post by Highams Park Harry »

The newer versions of DW default to an html extention rather than htm, and shtml rather than shtm

You do need to stay on top of it but the two sorts of files can live side by side, the website and the webhost will deal with them exactly the same, just don't get muddled with two versions of the same (ish) files with new and not so new content

sthml/shtm flags a file for server side include for the webhost, not the same as htm/html files

happy to answer any further questions if wanted, took me so long so to get to grips with the basics I woldn't wish it on anyone else!
Dordogne Holiday Cottage, sleeps eight
http://www.ruedelagare.co.uk