Alpacas, Pigs, Goats and more

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Laura B

Alpacas, Pigs, Goats and more

Post by Laura B »

We are thinking of getting Alpacas and maybe a couple of Goats as we have a large field that needs to be managed and I've always fancied them. I think this will be of interest to guests, does anyone have any experience of 'farm' animals and guests?
We already have Pigs that are easily accessible by guests, can anybody think of any practicalities we should bear in mind?
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

I have had various animals here (goats, pigs, horses, cows, and smaller fry like chickens, guinea pigs, geese and ducks)

You need to be aware that most will love them, but some will hate them - or more often the children will be scared stiff and the parents need to be reassured that they will be safe.

Problems that can arise is that confident guests feed animals, who in turn become too confident for non-confident guests!

My advice is to make sure that animals are securely fenced off so that guest contact is optional. Have specific rules for feeding : eg don't let guests feed animals roaming around outside holiday let, because this leads to problems with the animals expecting it from future guests.

Be prepared to quickly get rid of any animal who becomes aggresive - you must be ruthless here and override any affection for the animal because it may jeopardise your holiday let!

Sorry, if this is all obvious!
Laura B

Post by Laura B »

Hi Caroline, thank you, and no it isn't all obvious. I shall be fencing them well away from the holiday let, and in such away that if any animal becomes a problem access can be more restricted. I suppose this is really an excuse for me to have Alpacas, and if it gives some pleasure and possibly ups the booking level then all well and good. What about feeding time, did you have a regular slot and encourage children to help?
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

Laura B wrote: What about feeding time, did you have a regular slot and encourage children to help?
Yep, 10am rain or shine everyday for 8 months of the year - now in my 13th year! Smile, smile, be nice to the kids, even if they throw stones at your animals ...

Actually most kids are lovely, but there are always a few who aren't. Animal feeding is the highlight of most under 10's holiday here and makes people rebook year after year. It also has the advantage of making you "available" to everyone at a specified time, which mostly stops people calling at the door at all moments in the day.

I know nothing about Alpacas, but would be wary about them getting too used to being hand-fed - goats (even pigmys) can get quite boystrous even if they can't bite. Pigs are an absolute nightmare, because they shove people in the back of the knees and also bite (even if it is lovingly and in play!)
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Ladyaga has alpacas doesn't she? You could do worse than contact her for info about what it takes to have llama-esque creatures on your turf! I'm afraid all this puts me in mind of this....Llama Song - you have been warned
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

Hi

I am not a great animal lover - so would be put off by animals on site as part of a holiday. I do recall a holiday many years ago in Gozo, we stayed in a fab villa. Next door the owners keep sheep and the smell was pretty over powering at times. I would consider the location of the animals in relation to the accommodation.
pete

Post by pete »

i was warned
:oops: :P
Ladyaga

Post by Ladyaga »

I do have Alpacas and the guests love them, we make a point of a set time to have the guests come and feed them, which is the highlight of the week in some of the children's eyes, your welcome to pm.
there is none so queer as folk
Laura B

Post by Laura B »

Thanks for that Ladygaga, actually since the original post we have our 4 new residents, and they are quite a hit with the guests. But I am going to take your advice and have a set time for feeding etc. Apart from anything else I don't want the animals pestered day and night!