2 Repeat Guests Banned

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
apexblue

2 Repeat Guests Banned

Post by apexblue »

1. urine soaked fabric sofa and smoking - this guest had stayed 3 times.

2. carpet stained and won't come out, hole in wall and filthy - this guest had stayed 4 times.

Repeats no deposit. What irritates is no forewarning so we can get this sorted on the same day.

Have sent emails stating no further bookings will be taken.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

OMG! I hope they paid a damages deposit which you've not refunded. What on earth possessed them to cause so much damage?
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Disgraceful. It makes you wonder how some guests that started off ok manage to get progressively worse.
Urine soaked sofa is a nightmare (and how did it happen!?)...plus a hole in the wall!? Neither an easy fix.

I would doubt they would give you a heads up about damage like that...I wouldn't be surprised if they did a moonlight flit. Disgusting.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Bunny

Re: 2 Repeat Guests Banned

Post by Bunny »

apexblue wrote:1. urine soaked fabric sofa and smoking - this guest had stayed 3 times.

2. carpet stained and won't come out, hole in wall and filthy - this guest had stayed 4 times.

Repeats no deposit. What irritates is no forewarning so we can get this sorted on the same day.

Have sent emails stating no further bookings will be taken.
Yuk. Dare I ask how you get a urine soaked sofa. Old and incontinent or young children? Either way it should have been perfectly preventable.

And how do you make a hole in the wall. Were they drunk do you think?

I wouldn't have them back either.

I still take deposits for repeat guests without fail. You just never know....
tavi

Post by tavi »

Many sympathies. Hope you get it sorted. Can you bill them anyway?

I also don't take a damage deposit from repeat guests and I must confess I get a faint feeling they're very slightly less "on best behaviour" when that's the case.

Though never had damage like yours.
mi casa

Post by mi casa »

How horrible for you and what disgraceful behaviour. Really I cannot understand how some people treat someone else's property. Urine sofa (could be had too much to drink, still no excuse) but how the hell did they put a hole in the wall. You were right Apexblue to ban them. I still take a BD from repeat guests and its never a problem -after all they get it back if no damage.
Would love to retire but can't so will have to keep doing the lottery!
JanB

Post by JanB »

Sending sympathy as I can imagine it was so upsetting even to have to tell them they wont be welcome again. I don't blame you but how dreadful.

It just feels as though they had a lack of respect. We can all make unintended damage but it is surely just a combination of honesty and good manners to let the owner know, not to mention sensible so it can be fixed prior to next guests.

Onwards and upwards.... With forced smile! Hope you are treating yourself to a nice glass of something this evening.
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Even if they have not paid a damage deposit I would be inclined to write and tell them how shocked you are at the damage they did and the awful state of your place when they left.

There's probably no need to mention that they are not welcome to return.
Fleur
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

The issue of a damage deposit is not particularly relevant - it probably wouldn't cover the costs anyway. It sounds as though the damage was due to irresponsible behaviour rather than a simple accident(s), and you are of course perfectly entitled to send them an itemised bill for the damage, and pursue payment through the SCC.
cysgod y coed

Post by cysgod y coed »

What ghastly guests.
If you can keep your head when all around you are panicking.......you have probably not seen the whole picture.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

What a nightmare - sending sympathies. :(
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
JaneV

Post by JaneV »

How awful!

Not being on site, I always take a damage deposit, despite having quite a lot of repeat bookings. I think you just never know and guests who were perfectly behaved the first time, might not be so when something goes wrong.
aasta

Post by aasta »

:shock:
aasta
minxx

Post by minxx »

Sympathies, we've had urine soaked carpet and drawers (but not sofa) and used sanitary items hidden under beds/drawers.

For each booking I keep a log of any problems found after their departure, we then know whether to allow them back, but then repeat bookers never guarantees good behaviour, we too had stopped taking damage deposits for repeat bookers, but have since reinstated it, no ones ever questioned it.

If they don't pay up for the damage I'd suggest you pay a visit to their home and repay the favour, see how they like it! :D
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I really am appalled at how some people behave. I honestly cannot get my head around it. At no point in my adult life have I ever abused someone's home. When renting I have always corrected damage - I once broke a glass in Turkey but managed to find its identical twin in town so bought it, and during the same holiday I discovered for the first time how Riemann P20 sun cream stains towels yellow so I went out and bought replacements to the same quality (in Turkey towels are excellent quality even on the market stalls!) I would not have walked away leaving anything I could not replace without admitting to it. But then again I haven't pi$$ed on a sofa since I was about three months old.