I'm freeling grouchy

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
enid

I'm freeling grouchy

Post by enid »

Most of you know that we have added an annexe to our second gite thisyear so that it can be rented as a group of 4 or as a group of 8. We do have a sofa bed so there is a possibility of up to 10. It has been working well - last week we had 3 Belgian couples and their children. This actually made the occupancy 11 but 3 were in cots and the family in the other group said that the group were very quiet and that it was hard to believe they had 5 children there. They all got on very well even with a language barrier.

This week we have an English family and their French friends sharing the annexe. When she booked she said that her family was 7 - the couple, a grandma and 4 very young children- I let her book the small gite. Later she rang to ask if she could book the annexe for her French friends - yes they would be 6 but again she stressed that the children were very young. I agreed but when the booking form came she had omitted to add the ages of the children and I didn't chase it up - don't all start shouting at me as I've already been told off by Kevin.

So they arrived on Saturday - 5 adults and 8 children.I had made up the beds for 8 and all the cots etc were in place waiting to see the actual composition of the group.The children turned out to be 1 x 3 years, 1x 4 years, 2 (boys) x 8 years, 2 (boys) x 9 years, 2 x 10 years. I told her that i couyldn't provide beds and bedding for each child of this age - she had said they were so small she would top to tail them - she said she had bedding so I found extra beds. I felt cheated and not very pleased - another huge lesson learned.

Then they unloaded 11 bikes and every child started charging around on them screaming at the top of their heads - K had to tell them it wasn't suitable for bikes around the building - we have an enormous field they could ride their bikes on. The next morning they were playing baby foot close to the other gite - K asked the dad if he would help him move the babyfoot nearer to their gite as the other family were still in bed. K went off to get bread and I then had the English parents round - demanding to know the rules ( we have no set rules) declaring their children to be above reproach ( reminded me of being a primary school headmistress - all parents have children beyond reproach) and accusing us of not liking children. I managed to calm her down and the 2 families went out. Then my other guests came to tell us that someone had drawn little people all over the side of their car with a stone - later he spoke to the other father ( this is a client of ours from last year and he didn't want us to have to deal with it) - yes it was the 4 year old from the large group.Luckily his parents accepted the responsibility and the matter is sorted between them but we felt terrible for our clients.

Now they tell us they are leaving Friday morning and won't be able to clean the gite - I told her that there would be a charge from the security deposit of 60 euros - she then said that in my contract it said 30 euros for an end of stay clean and I pointed out that she had a contract for the gite and one for the annexe ( same surface area) so that was 60 euros. She thinks my contract deceptive - I said that I felt she had been decptive by not giving me the ages of the children and that if she didn't want to pay the 60 euros she had only to do the cleaning hersel - I wasn't trying to cheat het but take a fair price for the worK. I managed to stay sweet and charming - just!!!

The recent thread about maximum occupancy has really come home to me and that I must return contracts that aren't completed in full. I'm grouchy because I feel that I have managed this booking badly and in seeking to be generous have been taken for a ride.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I have to ask...just HOW did you manage to stay "sweet and charming"? I'm very impressed.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Cheer up Enid!
What a nightmare you must have had..it could have been worse..they could have booked for 2 weeks..there... doesn't that make you feel better already!
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

I do sympathise Enid. It's such a horrible feeling. We felt like this with the group we had earlier who suddenly got larger once they'd had got their underoccupation discount. I was so cross with myself for not being more careful in the way I worded things and not putting everything down in black and white right from the start.

You live and learn and I think most people have a story like this, it's all part of doing something new and exciting. Hopefully you'll have lovely guests next who'll renew your faith in what you are doing. Look on the bright side too, the 'orrible lot will be out a day early.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

You have done the right thing and kept your patience with them, well done Enid! Parties with a lot of children can be a nightmare if the kids are not supervised properly and it is so frustrating when the parents don't understand what constitutes acceptable behaviour, particularly when they are sharing the accommodation with other people.
Friday is not far away now and I'm sure the rest of your guests this year will be wonderful. Fortunately people like these are few and far between, thank goodness, or else we would all throw in the towel now!
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

..and you and Kevin can open a bottle of something nice, sit in the spa, and they'll be back in UK at their everyday jobs :lol:

Don't let 'em get to you for more than 10 minutes !! :wink: :wink:

www.thepetitmanoir
enid

Post by enid »

Aw thanks youlot- I feel a lot better now.
I have to ask...just HOW did you manage to stay "sweet and charming"?
With difficulty - but I have a lot of experience in dealing with fussy Mums

it could have been worse..they could have booked for 2 weeks..there... doesn't that make you feel better already!
yes it does - thank you.

Fraise - the Guignolet is in my hand - I'll leave the spa as it's actually raining and I have to go round to the gite side for that - but tomorrow we have our masseuse on site so I'll def be on her list.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

GO Girl !!! :-) :lol: :mrgreen: Cheers,salut,sante
Ju

Post by Ju »

It seems to me that people who push the limits of occupancy inorder to avoid paying more (ie mean soles) tend also to have other attitude problems.

The guests we have have who have pushed the occupancy by one in saying, "we really love your place it is the best we have seen, please can we stay" tend to be grateful and good guests. The ones that push the limit because they don't want to pay more tend to be problematic.

By the way, do you request the ages of children on your booking form? We ask for the ages of everyone under 18.

As Crystal said, be thankful they didn't book two weeks!
gh

Post by gh »

Well done Enid, decorum as my mother would say, if they leave without leaving the house and annex in an acceptable state take the amount from their deposit, they know you will.

We had last Christmas & New Year an 'A list Producer' from scottish tv and his family, so went out of my way to leave a Christmas Tree with gifts for all under it, their bedrooms had seasonal touches in them, then they had 6 others staying on route from the alps which we did not know about for 3 days and raided our linen cupboard for bedding and left the house in a state. We were cultivating business for MOH, which we got, as they enjoyed their stay sooo much, but he has recently asked for this year, 'oh dear sorry the house is booked perhaps next year.' Not in our lifetime will we accept his booking. Business is business :wink:

Good point Ju about ages, we ask for childrens ages, what designates a child? So from now on all ages of under 18's.

Champagne and bubbles how perfect :lol:
enid

Post by enid »

Our contract actually has a space for name and address of person booking the gite - then there is a space asking for names of other members of the party - please give ages of children. This was the bit she did not fill in and I should have chased it up.

But - our guests in the other gite asked us to go round for a drink with them this evening and we had a really lovely time. And it's Thursday tomorrow!

Kevin noticed that I had labelled this thread - I'm freeling grouchy - spelling alwys suffers when I'l stressed! I need a Christmas break at your place Johnel.
gh

Post by gh »

Ok no problem, prezzies await you, who many in your party? :lol:

Why do we do this? We have spent tons of money not forgetting about BLOOD SWEAT and TEARS, making our places the best place to holiday in, yet we still get aliens from hell!

Our belief was that we have had many a great family holiday and took bits and pieces from each rental to make ours what we would have wanted to have for our holidays. Romantic that I am, I know we have achieved this and many guests say they enjoyed our place; so if the few dont respect our place, smile and remember my upbringing...... see ya!

Would like to have the interaction with guests on site, envy you Enid, enjoy your good guests forget about the bad ones.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I agree on getting the ages of the children on the booking form, I do the same - but does it serve a purpose other than to prepare you for the fact that there may be a lot of children for one particular week? You can't very well cancel the booking on the basis that there are 9 kids and 4 adults!
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Oh , but you COULD just not accept it in the first place if the booking form arrived with 9 kids and 4 adults !! I would return the form/cheque/sweetly apologise but firmly refuse :wink:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
debk

Post by debk »

It's Thursday, Enid!

Just wanted to say that your demeanor, once again, is an inspiration. Thank you for posting... I learn a bit from every shared struggle.

So enjoy those good guests and remember that the bad ones have to go home with themselves. Justice served. :)

debk