I'm freeling grouchy

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Also, there is a big difference between under 5s for example and older children in terms of noise, wear and tear etc. Our place sleeps 8 plus we would consider accommodating 2 young children on top of this so would want to know ages in order to decide whether to take the booking if the numbers of children take the total over the 8.

There's also the issue of beds and toys, our current guests are 4 adults and two very young children, a baby and a 2 year old. The guests didn't put the ages of the children on the form although we ask for them. Like Enid I didn't follow it up because I thought they were all adults, it was just 6 names. When they arrived we didn't have the cots and highchairs, (which they wanted) ready for them, we had to get them out of the attic, dust them off and make them up, whilst they waited.

We provide boxes of toys depending on the ages of the children. I keep these in the attic and get them out and clean them up a few days before the children arrive. The current group didn't get toys because I didn't know about the children which is a shame because the toys really do go down well, particularly with younger children who are sometimes a little bit harder to keep occupied.
enid

Post by enid »

Just wanted to say that your demeanor, once again, is an inspiration.
I'm feeling a bit hard pushed to keep it up - I went to the laundry room to play with my new ironing press and one of the machines was going then they came in and filled the other one - they have washed every day - they came with dirty laundry and are leaving with clean - I know they have the right to use our machines that's what they are there for, but as Ju says they are using them to the max.

Re the booking form - I don't consider it a contract until I confirm in writing. I agree with Sarah - their ages are important to know as each age has general characteristics - I know Ihave spent all my working life with children aged 4 - 11!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I have a group in at the moment who are 4 adults, one family has five children age 7 - 15 and the other two children 4 and 7. They are the nicest, most polite children I could ever hope to meet and their parents are charming. Surely if you generalise and just reject bookings because of the number/age of the children, it is not fair to decent families like this?? Just because there are a lot of young children, it doesn't mean that they will be badly behaved. That is down to the parents.
garlic

Post by garlic »

You poor thing Enid...I used your booking form for my guests and they filled it in perfectly! I think I've been really lucky as my first guests seem so nice...They were very complementary about my house and when all the lights suddenly failed yesterday they were very understanding...probably helped that we managed to get the electrician out within 2hrs to fix them.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

You're right,but there lies the problem-unless you know the parents. I have taken 5 children/2 adults, I just wouldn't up that ratio at all ( or do I mean lower it ? ).
enid

Post by enid »

Surely if you generalise and just reject bookings because of the number/age of the children, it is not fair to decent families like this?? Just because there are a lot of young children, it doesn't mean that they will be badly behaved. That is down to the parents.
I agree - I love young children being here - but this is a huge over occupancy and I agreed it because I was told they were very young. It's not the children but the fact that I feel I have been taken advantage of that is upsetting - and now I see that they have washed a huge load of bedding that they certainly didn't need here I feel even more taken advantage of. Like Sarah I use the ages to help me furnish the tgites o fit each group- adding relevant toys and baby cups etc. Over occupancy with toddlers and babies is not the same as over occupancy with junior aged children - however good they are.

Glad the booking form worked for you Garlic and thatyour first guests are in the majority group - those that are appreciative and understanding.

Kevin bought me a cheer you up Mars bar so am just having that with a coffee :D