Advice on protecting sofas, armchairs etc.?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Mountain Goat

Advice on protecting sofas, armchairs etc.?

Post by Mountain Goat »

Next week we've got a family of 9 (7 kids running upwards from 3) arriving, and I'm not 100% looking forward to the whole experience.

Could anyone advise on protecting furniture (couldn't be worse - contemporary light beige stuff) from the onslaught?

I hit IKEA for throws etc. but they turned out to be horrible 100% plastic/polythene and had to be junked.

Last minute solution needed, unfortunately.

In hope.

Goat
enid

Post by enid »

Sorry the throws from IKEA weren't good - I have lovely throws from there. Try plain flat sheets.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Goat, you have my sympathy! We had a family in the other week whose numerous children left the (beige) furniture covered in stains from yoghurt, pens, chocolate etc. Luckily I bought a spare set of covers from Ikea, so could replace them immediately. You can get throws in most hypermarkets and shops like GPS decors - whether they remain on the sofas for the duration of the visit is another question!
Why do parents let their children eat food on the sofa - I guess they do that at home, but when there is a perfectly good dining room table it is very annoying.
I would make a point when you show them around, perhaps a little white lie that the sofa is brand new??
Bon courage!
garlic

Post by garlic »

I've seen those sort of tie on sofa covers in mag2000 some of them are awful and some are ok...does it have to be the most tasteful cover if you think it might get trashed? Also I spotted some really ok ones in Aldi recently they were about 40e and really ok one coloured with texture pattern and a reasonable weight. I was looking for something to hide the fact that our sofa is not that nice :) In the end I found a lovely vintage bedspread in emmeaus for 3e...If I'd had more time I'd have altered it to fit the sofa better but as it was it drapped over ok and really does the job...Curtains would also work
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hi Goat,sorry but without a heftier than normal security deposit I wouldn't let to a party of 7 children and 2 adults !! Even then , I don't think I would, unless maybe I knew them. I have quite a few children of my own but think that taking 7 to an upmarket self catering place is just asking for trouble !! Like Enid, I have also spent a significant amount of time professionally with the blighters as well !! Bon courage :roll:
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

A Scotchguard type spray may give some protection. I would also ask the parents to ensure that any felt tips or pens that used on the property are washable. (Ballpoint pen is notoriously difficult to shift) Then if you have stains that don't come out you'll have some comeback.
Good luck.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Sorry Goat, I didn't help did I ? :oops: I'd look for bedcovers/quilts/throws,sheets/blankets depending on size. I even got some enormous tablecloths once that actually made great throws. :wink:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I feel for you - even with adults this is a nightmare area. I (luckily) have a darkbrown suite which is a good colour as it shows very little - but even that has satins on it that has gone through the protective 'throws' I have - thank god only I notice them.

Anyway - enough rambling here are my tips;

1. Take ALL the covers off the settee cushions if you can. Then even if the cushions themselves get stained they'll never be seen. This is the best option.
Also remove the back cushions (leaving only the seat ones) and replace with cheap cushions you can throw away afterwards (or keep for another child heavy booking)

then

2. Throws; I got some 100% linen material from IKEA - dirt cheap - and had a friend sew all around the edge. I then use them as throws by tucking them in and arounf the seat cushions, then throw them over the backs. I also have small ones that will fit the arms.
Being linen its very durable, washes like a dream, dries quickly and is cool and stylish.
I think it was about £3 a metre.

I can actually whip them off the settee when guests leave and have them washed and dried and back on in time for the next guests 4 hrs later!

If you can't do either of the above then

3. Explain that ANY damage will have to be paid for as your guests expect high standards. Therefore to help them - would they like you to supply sheets/cheap throws to cover the settee. Put the onus on them.

Good luck - I too would be nervous and certainly wouldn't have accepted that booking. I have mistakenly accepted 4 kids last week in August and I'm already dreading it......you are brave!

Mouse
x
Martha

Post by Martha »

Top tips Mouse!

Our sofas are also dark brown but we are getting some throws to try and avoid the inevitable stains - though Scotchgarding is sceduled for the next visit....

Making them up out of fabric is a good idea - I have seen very few that were big enough to cover our sofas. Mother-in-law is a dab hand with a sewing machine too....

*picks up phone*

Do you find that people generally leave them in place? I was wondering if they would get used or just removed.....

oh and good luck Mountain Goat - let's hope for the best....
Last edited by Martha on Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Many thanks for all this excellent advice, and morale boosting; I need it, and I'm studying hard.

I'm out there tomorrow, via IKEA just in case they've got a solution, and this morning, in panic, I bought a very smart sewing machine @ John Lewis for home-made linen covers. Unfortunately can't make France before they arrive, so it's going to be DIY.

It's going to be bad. Our neighbour has already complained that the temporary cow is moored outside awaiting their arrival, 4 days early, for the kids' milking lessons. The animal is peaceful, but it has a 8 kilo bell around its neck which has been clanking all night.....the commune office has been on the 'phone and thick cloud is descending.

Goat
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Thanks Firebug!

usually they're left in place and with the exception of a red stain that just will not come out no matter what I do (Gatorade would you believe! I wonder what it does to your stomach!?) they've washed fine.
I do make sure they're tucked in though and tell guests that linen is better to sit on in the heat - as its cooler!!!?!

Only one guest removed them - the little girl told me they took them off as they were too nice to sit on (Duh!?!). I explained thats what they were for.

Actually one client commented that she was pleased to have a throw over the settee as everyone could relax then without worrying.
In the main its usually dirty feet stains and spilled drink.

Its a wonderfully cheap alternative to a ruined sofa (and me in tears!)

Mouse
x
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Oh Mountain Goat you made me laugh!!!!

And I think I've got it bad 'cos its August, 1000's of Italians and Spanish have descended on the island, driving etiquette is out of the window, traffic is a nightmare, I can't find a parking place for love not money, tempers are fraying everywhere, I have to book for my fav restaurants.... and if I see another sodding 'hippy' I will throw up!!!!!

The island is in its usual August meltdown but I don't have to cope with cow bells!!!!!!...and milking lessons (oh that poor cow!)

Mouse
x
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Thanks, Mouse, much appreciated. Looking on the bright side I won't have to cut the grass. They do eat grass don't they?
Goat
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Maybe not as much as you, goat !!!!!!!!
You made me giggle :wink:
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

We have got ikea sofas - fairly standard square design - the covers are black with a white circle design - very 60's hip and modern looking. Last year some guests who stayed left behind some huge black beach towels which were towelling one side and velvety the other side - I rang them but they didn't want them back.

As we'd had sun cream and baby dribble on the sofas (from the same guests) we decided that these huge beach towels would make great seat covers - they are nice and heavy weight and the towelling side seems to grip the cotton sofa covers so they don't slide off and they are comfy to sit on - and they are really easy to wash too (being towelling).

They only cover the seating cushions but the back cushions don't seem to suffer so much from staining in any case. We have found that these beach towels are just brilliant, just the right weight, they don't slump and crease and fall off like throws do.

If you have beige sofas, then perhaps a huge oatmeal beach towel would fit the bill... you could probably find some design that fits in with your colour scheme OK. Depends if you need to cover your back cushions as well.

But this solution works really well for us and has protected our sofas from the general onslaught of suncream, sand, food etc... we do still have to launder the sofa covers periodically but it's far easier to launder the beach towel covers...
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......