Advice on protecting sofas, armchairs etc.?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Agree that it's the ratio of ankle-biters to adults which causes the damage when it occurs. We have a mum, dad and five kids at the house now,(ages 10 - 17) so that will be interesting. The worst mess experienced to date was from a family of 3 generations, the 5 children of whom were all under 5 or 6. I had visions of the mums, dads and grannies relaxing by the pool, none taking responsibility for what the kids were up to inside. The adult mess was just as bad - they clearly didn't care. We have cream sofas (knew it was a mistake even as I was ordering them), and something as simple as kids sitting in wet swimming costumes creates marks in no time. One of them must have had a bad cold too, and I had to remove evidence of that with the back of a knife!

This year I joined the throw brigade - IKEA cream ones - Goat, they were actually quite nice - they are folded and pointedly placed on the arms of the sofas, so our October visit will reveal whether they've been used or not; if not, I'll have to ensure they are actually covering the sofas next year.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Ju

Post by Ju »

Jane

I would be very surprised if anyone has used the throws, except perhaps as something to sit on the floor, or use as a picnic rug, or make a tent out of.

The only thing I have found that works is properly fitted loose covers, or leather sofas! (though I don't think cream leather would be a good idea either)

Ju
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Ju wrote:Jane, I would be very surprised if anyone has used the throws, except perhaps as something to sit on the floor, or use as a picnic rug, or make a tent out of.
Let's hope you're wrong Ju! Forgot to say that we have also taken the precaution of buying a spare set of covers for the armchairs and sofas, but since they are a hassle to launder and get crease free again, the hope was that the throws would reduce the frequency with which we'd need to swap covers. All will be revealed in a few weeks' time!
Ju

Post by Ju »

I know what you mean about the spare sets, I changed ours over last week, but I'm too busy washing the rest of the linen to get the dirty ones cleaned. I'm hoping this set will last until the end of the season (seven weeks left).

To be fair I don't often need to change them, so I can't really complain. I do have a big heavy throw in one of the other properties which is never (touch wood) soiled. It is a very heavy tapestry one in dark colours so stands up to the wear very well. My best sofa is undoubtably my red leather one, which still looks brand new. Shame really I'd really like it in my house but the only chance of that is if it gets stained!

Fingers crossed you won't have any stains.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I bought some suedette throws in tasteful beige for my sofas from Matalan.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Thanks Ju! Matalan sounds like a good place to check out Helen - I think Enid also mentioned she's a fan.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Jane, they're just the right shade to stay looking cleaner for longer. I have two fleece ones that we use ourselves when we take the dog, as shes prone to lounging on the sofa when we're not looking.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

...and slinking off as soon as you enter the room - we had one of those too!!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Just to finish this one off, re covers etc. being stuck in UK I tried Laura Ashley (permanent sale), IKEA (only 100% polysomething in our branch which was a pain), Next, Debenham's and Habitat.

Habitat were great - gigantic, thick, cotton throws reduced from over £50 to £16, plus stacks of pastel sheets which they were giving away for a fiver.

Need a sympathetic check-in person re excess baggage now...

Goat
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Just turn on the charm, Goat!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Or *cough* say you're a Lord.
Brooke
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Nice one Brooke - or Goat could get his brickie to do the necessary!