Cancellations - arrgh!

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
FelicityA

Cancellations - arrgh!

Post by FelicityA »

6 cancellations this year (over two properties)!! I think I have had 3 cancellations in 9 years up to this year. What is going on this year??? All coming from abroad. Worse than that, one was for three weeks, one for four, 2 for 1 week each, 2 for 2 weeks and and this last one is for two weeks in September so for overseas bookings this is tight and I had to turn away a returnee recently for just that period because she found it already booked. All except one cite ill health as the reason. I had made arrangements to be away for this last booking in the middle, thinking I had a freer week than normal. Now I am unlikely to get another 2 week September booking.

I am pretty fed up of juggling the calendars (when I thought I was booked for the year, except for one week in my cottage) and sending money back. They all managed to cancel within the 2 month period, one JUST before they were due to pay.

Off to change the calendars now.......arrgh!
JanB

Post by JanB »

FelicityA, I am sending sympathy. How awful but it does seem to be a strange year, doesn't it? Bookings just do not seem to be straightforward like they used to be.

I wonder whether people do not appreciate the fact they are committed unless you can rebook the dates and maybe just think they will lose a relatively small amount with the deposit if they later cancel.

I am guessing you will be needing a nice chilled glass of something this evening!
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Thanks KC. I actually say in my agreement that the deposit is non-refundable and all of these have cancelled before making the full payment. However I have sent all the money back, save for a little bit (£30) to cover all my time and effort ( and actually I think I am worth more!) and if I have had to reduce the rent to attract replacements, I would take that out too.

I take £100 deposit but I can't feel justified in making a profit in keeping all that. The wording is just to focus people's minds. Of course the big listing sites have no such conscience, do they...

Should I be thinking my time is worth £100? One man involved me in about 50 emails about the holiday he then cancelled due to a knee operation or something and actually I gave him every penny back as he was a complete pain and I wanted to be rid of him! What do others reckon their time is worth? It takes me more than half a day to adjust the calendars, wordings on websites where I point out gaps etc. And this particular latest one has messed up a flight booking I have made on the back of her being here for two weeks.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Felicity, I sympathise with you. Get the corkscrew out!

We had 3 cancellations in our second year. At that time, we were green enough to believe every excuse we were told, so kindly agreed to carry the deposit forward to the next year's holiday. One lot never rebooked, one lot rebooked for a more expensive time of year and neither returned the booking form nor made any further payment, and the last one actually rebooked and finally got to enjoy their holiday.

However, we also now specify that the deposit (30%) is non-refundable. Pure co-incidence of course, but we've not (fingers crossed) had any cancellations since then.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
JanB

Post by JanB »

I personally would not refund the deposit, especially within only a few weeks of the dates. They are lucky to not be held for the rest.

Recently, I myself had to cancel a booking for a villa for next March and I didnt expect them to refund the £150 I had paid. My change of plans shouldn't mean they lose out.

You are very kind, and in some ways, it is a relief to get rid of some guests on the basis that is they are a pain even before they arrive, it is possibly a saving grace they are not going to be staying and a blessed relief!

Tomorrow is another day.......
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

PW in Polemi wrote:Felicity, I sympathise with you. Get the corkscrew out!
Thanks PW and KC for your thoughts. I think I going to take a sterner line in future. I have had the "We hope to come next year" scenario too.

But I don't like wine. I only like champagne! :) It will have to be a G and T as there is nothing to celebrate.
Last edited by FelicityA on Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JanB

Post by JanB »

G and T is good! Really will make things seem so much better - I like anything with bubbles.....
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Felicity, I too have suffered more cancellations in the last year than I have in 9 years. Like you, I returned all funds except for one through ABNB whereby they cancelled too late so I was able to keep the funds under ABNB's strict cancellation policy. I didn't feel that guilty. They were coming from abroad so should have had insurance and really it's swings and roundabouts. The amount I received doesn't anywhere near cover all the deposits I've returned in full over the years when I could have quite justifiably withheld amounts for damage etc.

It's especially annoying when a cancellation messes up your own plans. :cry:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Sending commiserations. These things do seem to go in a run, don't they? Enjoy your G & T. :wink:
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I think they are all getting used to the 'book on a whim cancel with no comebacks scenario' of booking.com and airbnb where people have lax cancellation policies and you can change your mind very very close to the arrival time? It is all going the way of the hotel model, many of whom have those sorts of terms. And who can blame them....?!
annedab

Post by annedab »

I wouldn't refund the deposit either. If you say deposits are non-refundable then they are non-refundable. As several people have pointed out, a cancelled booking impacts on all sorts of things for us as owners. No reason for guests to think about that, why should they.....but nevertheless it does have a knock-on effect in all sorts of ways. We had an enquiry from someone for a 2 week booking this summer - they had been referred to us by people who have stayed the past two years so that was nice! - however, after initially deciding on two weeks in the gite, they have decided to stay a week in the gite and then move to the safari tent for the second week. From their point of view they are still staying 2 weeks so not really an issue. Unfortunately for us, the safari tent is managed by another company so we have gone from 2 weeks rental to one week plus just the changeover fee for the tent :roll: As, like many of you, we have more than one property, the amount of juggling involved to make changeovers feasible and us being selfish enough to want to have a little bit of a life in the summer as well........well, that has a cost, and however "nice" we want to be, we don't work for free, otherwise we would all be letting people stay in our properties for nothing :wink:

Oh dear, I am definitely Mrs Grumpy Trousers this week, but it does help to be able to see some alternative points of view here 8)
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
Isy

Post by Isy »

Sorry about the news FelicityA.
Hope you get the dates booked again and manage to get some time for yourself.
In our T&C, it stipulates "deposit non refundable" so like the others, I would not refund the deposit.
Did you try to contact the returnee and see if she s still looking for a place to holiday?
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger !
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Yes, Isy, I did as she had already booked the only space I had which was a 5 day (unusual) gap in September. Unfortunately, she has already booked her flight to fit in with that so can not have the full week she wanted (probably made other plans to go and stay elsewhere for the remaining 9 days) but she appreciated being told so Brownie points to me for that! At least she is filling an awkward gap and it would have been difficult for me to have that gap open up again, whereas the cancellation is Saturday to Saturday week making it easier to sell. I expect it will get filled but it is just more work!

I have definitely decided, based on advice here, that unless they have a huge sob story that I believe I am no longer going to be Mrs Nice about returning deposits. I returned most of someone's recently (she didn't give a reason except that one of the party was 'unable to travel') by PayPal and told them by separate email. No answer and it sat there. So I told them again and they said, sorry but they were sailing in the Greek Islands and they would get back to me. Three weeks later and I emailed today to say I would cancel the payment in a week as it was unclaimed and she said she was still sailing in Greece for another THREE weeks and could I cancel it and refund again in July. I cancelled and I think I might forget in July and let's hope they don't remind me! :roll:
Isy

Post by Isy »

FelicityA, in my humble experience sadly it does not pay to be Mrs Nice. I used to be one too but I learned the hard way.... and anytime I feel weak I keep reminding myself that I run a business full stop. Don't get me wrong I would go the extra miles for our guests but there is a limit where I have for my own mental health to draw the line. Question is where do you draw the line. Only you can answer.
Good luck and stay stong!
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger !
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

We have had 3 cancellations on the same property this week.

We have not refunded the £150 holding deposit.

Hold firm on your booking conditions.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.