Pricing a larger property for couples

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Kirigiwi

Pricing a larger property for couples

Post by Kirigiwi »

First of all this is my first post so just wanted to say hi! I've found this forum really useful.
I've just started this summer renting out my villa in Italy which sleeps 6. I've pretty much covered the summer period between guests and our own occupancy, and now trying to think ahead to attract bookings for the autumn.

I would like to attract couples not tied down by kids/summer holidays (ideal would be a pair of couples but I guess that scenario happens less often) but worry that the large size of the house might be off-putting. I'm prepared to offer significantly lower prices for just 2 people so my question is how to reflect this in my pricing: leave my rates as is and state that I offer discounts for couples, or advertise the 2 person rate with additional charges for extra guests.

At the moment I'm on Airbnb and Homeaway, this is my homeaway listing to give you an idea. http://www.homeaway.co.uk/p1759540?uni_id=3469572
Working on my own website right now!
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

we have done this for years, consequently our family gite this year & most others has been fully booked April-earlyJuly & again in September with 'couples only' - we offer them a 25-33% discount on the family rate (25% the first 2 yrs, then 33% thereafter if they leave the place clean & tidy...). Many have become regulars - 2 couples are staying with us this year for the 11th year in succession....with so many family gites around us empty this month we know there is a demand for a 'couples only' policy. We are also flexible with length of stay & arrival/departure days..
Kirigiwi

Post by Kirigiwi »

Great to hear that the market is out there, and that you're making it work for you petitbois. That is exactly the kind of thing I imagined as people tend to fall in love with our area and come back again.
I guess my question is how to attract them in the first place, given that at first glance our property might not seem suitable?
elena

Post by elena »

Hi!

We have just added a new property from May this year, a detached house sleeping 8/10 people. http://www.dordogne-holiday-villa.co.uk

We have just filled the last two weeks left in June to a couple who asked for a small discount for using only one bedroom. We have one July week left but otherwise are fully booked until 20th Sept and have quite a few bookings for only 3 or 4 people.

Next year we are planning to add a fifth bedroom and we are thinking to price for 4 rooms with a supplement for the 5th room ( or price for 5 with a reduction for using only 4, still not sure).

On your new website ( and on your adverts) you could have a couples only section where you can let people know you'd be happy to quote a price for under occupancy.

Not sure how airbnb works as we're only with OD which filter searches by number of bedrooms required but if you feel it's worth it to get more exposure you could take two ads ,one for 2 people and one for your max 6 people and price accordingly.

Your place looks gorgeous! I'm sure you'll do really well! You say it sleeps 6 but your Homeaway Ad says 8 which may not help.

Elena
Dordogne holiday cottages
Tales from our Dordogne gites
keep in touch with Les Crouquets on Facebook
follow us on pinterest
NEW!! Dordogne Holiday Villa with private pool
man who stand on side of mountain with mouth open waiting for roast duck to fly in have long wait....
tavi

Post by tavi »

Hi and welcome.

To attract couples in low season? First of all I think I would read your listing from the public page and see where you can "tweak" it to catch the attention of Autumn/winter holiday makers. Put yourself in their shoes. What would make you click on the listing?

Maybe change the lead photo from the one with the pool to something showing the view - or a cosy interior shot, fireplace?

Then you might want to include phrases like - special Autumn/Winter rates for 2-4 guests

....can you get such a phrase into your title? (you can probably come up with something better than this but you get the idea)

Can you make it the first line of your description so that it's the first thing people see. Don't make it sound desperate - sell it as a wonderful warm scenic winter house!

Yes, take away the sleeps 8 part - might make the property sound too big.

You can always change it all back come springtime.
Kirigiwi

Post by Kirigiwi »

Thanks, some really useful ideas there. I was thinking of changing the lead image too as it doesn't seem to be working well, I'm basically not getting many page views at all. I'm away from the house at the moment though so need to get back and take some more photos.

The sleeps 6/8 confusion is because there is a (comfortable) sofa bed in a separate study. Do most people include them in the overall number of sleeps? I personally am happy as a guest to chuck my kids on a sofa bed if it means I save a bit! Then again I don't want to seem misleading.

Elena it hadn't occurred to me I could do another listing on Airbnb and it would basically cost me nothing, I'll definitely get on to that.