Over occupancy

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Pringles2014

Over occupancy

Post by Pringles2014 »

I have a bit over a problem, a guest booked our lovely new barn for 6 adults. He paid a min deposit via a website. This weekend he phoned to pay balance as there are 6 adult i pointed out that we don't take additional guests and no party's to be held at property ! He then went on to say thats its fine cos his friends are bringing a camper van ! I still haven't taken full payment but really don't want the booking now. Last summer we had a problem when 6 adults booked it and 10 turned up and spent 3 days drinking solid ! The deposit is kept by agents as booking fee. Any ideas ? Thanks
Oh life !!
JanB

Post by JanB »

I would have another conversation with him, making it clear, that due to insurance you are not able to accept his booking if he is having other visitors.

It is clear they would all be using your property for showers, cooking etc and the wear and tear not to mention extra cleaning required will be at your expense.

Some people really do have a damned cheek.

Alternatively, tell the cheeky varmint he can bring the camper van at a charge of £40 per night. His indignation might well ensure he cancels the booking anyway.

Good luck!
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!
Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere »

It's a tricky one because you can't reasonably say they aren't permitted to have any (day) visitors, and how do you define a "party" anyway? Coming in for showers etc is of course another matter!

Where will the campervan be sited? If it's in your land I think you have a very strong case for calling it over occupancy and instruct the agent to return the deposit/booking fee as it is an unsuitable booking.

Even if they're camping elsewhere I think you are well within your rights to decline a booking you don't like the sound of.

I think I shall be updating my own T&Cs now to state no camping on the grounds without the express written permission of the owner....
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

What do your T&Cs state? And these camper van friends of his - are they included in his party of 6?

We ask for the names of each member of the party, not just the lead person. We also specify

No substitutions in the make-up of the party are allowed without the express prior written permission of the owners and the owners reserve the right to refuse any additions or substitutions in the make-up of the party if they feel those alterations are such as not to be compatible with the accommodation.

If on arrival at the accommodation, your party does not consist of the named persons in this contract, the owners may delay or refuse access to the property. The owners also reserve the right to check identification of named persons, where they consider it appropriate.

and

You cannot allow anyone other than those listed in this contract to stay in the Property, nor can you change the make-up of the party during your stay in the Property, nor can you take any pets or animals into the Property. If you do so, the owners reserve the right to require you to leave the property. The owners will treat any of these circumstances as a cancellation by you of the booking.

We had to amend our basic contract some years ago due to over-occupancy and "fait accompli" changes to the group we were expecting.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

We had this some years ago.

T&C and ads now state motor homes, caravans, commercial vans are not permitted to park at the property which in the covenants they are not.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Pringles2014

Post by Pringles2014 »

Thank you all for your advice. I have sent an email saying we don't want a camper van there and that there is a camp site 2 miles away. Im now awaiting there reply . Will be updating t and c . Thanks
Oh life !!
JanB

Post by JanB »

Pringles2014 wrote:Thank you all for your advice. I have sent an email saying we don't want a camper van there and that there is a camp site 2 miles away. Im now awaiting there reply . Will be updating t and c . Thanks
Do let us know what the outcome is..... And his response!
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Even if they stay at the camp site, I wouldn't be surprised if they spend most of their time at your place and still possibly use the showers in preference to communal ones on a campsite. I think you also need to make it clear that the services and facilities at the cottage are for the named guests only. (Although it would be difficult to enforce).

I also have in my T&Cs that the maximum capacity (not occupancy) of 8 applies at all times. i.e. party of 8 may have no visitors inside the cottage at all, however a party of 4 may have 4 visitors etc. Any more than 8 people is overcrowded with far more potential for damage. It also helps eliminate parties.
Frenchlady

Post by Frenchlady »

In our early days we lived on site whilst caretaking a large property with a pool. New guests arrived one Sat ok and then along came a camper van, parked in the drive, hooked up to the elec in the house and no doubt intended to use all the facilities like showers etc in the house - and of course the pool. We phoned the owners who of course knew nothing about the extra guests and dealt with it. Had we not been on site then they probably would have known nothing about the extra guests.
Pringles2014

Post by Pringles2014 »

It always amazes me what people try to get away with ! The young man has just emailed a nice email saying he will look for a larger accommodation to include all his friends ! Thank you for all your advice.
Oh life !!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

So clearly, they did all intend to use the cottage. Lucky escape! :D
GRL

Post by GRL »

Early on we had a family staying who already had one extra child on a blow up bed. They then asked about local camp sites as their sister in law wanted to come too. We sent details but added that no other person could use the gite facilities, inside or outside in any way .. lo and behold sister in law didn't come camping. I reckon she'd have been showering in the gite etc
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

I got tough earlier this year for the first time. A couple have booked for a week in September with a dog.

Then I got an email saying the usual " daughter and husband would like to join them" - with their two year old but they'd bring their own stair gate and travel cot.
Our cottage sleeps 4 and the second bedroom is tiny, with two single beds and barely room for anything else.

So I just said no, we don't take toddlers and if the booking enquiry had been for a party of that size plus dog I wouldn't have accepted it. I offered a refund so that they could look for something else. They said that it was fine and they would stick with the original booking. I hope it doesn't backfire in some way!
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

I'm going to tag on the end of this one because it won't derail the original poster's thread as they've had a good outcome.

We had a booking for 4 recently; we were away in spain when guests arrived and my bro in law covers for me for cleaning etc when we are away and was there when guests arrived - 6 of them!

They said, oh well, we know it sleeps 6 so can you make up extra beds, which he did, but spoke to me later about it. I'm OK with 6 as that is our max occupancy but I charge per group size and it's and extra £10 per person per night above 4 - so their 4 nigth stay should have cost an extra £80.

I wrote to the guest and explained that they'd booked for 4 people and I charged accordingly but extra guests cost £10 per head, could they confirm how many nights the extras stayed so i can send a pp invoice.

I know she has opened the mail (I use an email tracker) but she hasn't replied.

I don't see why they shouldn't pay for the extras to stay - a hotel wouldn't accept it and Mos had to spend extra time making up new beds - it also costs us more in wear, tear, laundry etc so I'm a bit pissed off that she hasn't replied.

What would you do?
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I'd probably send a reminder and then state that unfortunately if the matter is not resolved in respect of the due amount you will have to initiate legal proceedings.