One pillow or two?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Mouse

One pillow or two?

Post by Mouse »

My two greatest decisions when preparing the house for rental last year were;
Bath towels or bath sheets?
and
One pillow or two?

The decision on the towels was made for me when I bought the bales (although I still feel mean having only bath towels)
And I decided to go for only one pillow (cheaper option)
However this year I upped the pillow stakes and went for four pillows on the double beds (two each) but have stuck with a single on the single beds.
They are nice medium density pillows and having only one saves me washing/ironing another 4 pillowcases....but I wondered what other people do? Am I being mean?

Also do you have soft, hard or medium pillows? I'm gradually getting rid of my soft ones as they look so 'unplumped' on the beds.

Mouse
x
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

Are you mean only having bath towels - no, I think the smaller ones tend to get used for just about everything - bath mats, mopping up cloths, dishcloths... I'm thinking about only supplying bath towels ( or as per towel thread, maybe none at all....)

Mouse, I think your standards are very high, your house sounds better than a hotel!!! But people are not paying hotel prices!!

I can't imagine anyone complaining because they only have one pillow and those who don't like more than one will only chuck the spares on the floor or something so you could end up with them spoiled. I think I have one spare pillow for anyone who wants two but any others want more than one they will have to fight it out among themselves....

We have been renting for a couple of years now and no one has complained about pillows. I think in rental houses people don't expect hotel standards. They expect a nice clean house and nice clean linen but you just can't cater for everybody's everything.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Ah. This probably depends who your market is. I AM trying to provide hotel standards. I provide 2 pillows on the single bed, 4 on the doubles.All quite plumptious ones, none too small or lumpy. That's why I provide the towel bales ( these towels just creep in everywhere !), toiletries in the bathrooms,flowers in the rooms etc. Horses for courses. :lol:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
gh

Post by gh »

We also supply two pillows for the single beds and 4 for the double ones. There is also a spare pillow in each room, as I like to read in bed propted up :lol: went for medium ones and washable. Have a few spare ones in the linen cupboard and our cleaner changes any 'dodgy' looking ones at change-overs.

Again Ikea do a wide range of all types for all budgets. Thinking of getting French stlye ones when they need replacing, personally I think they give more support.
Martha

Post by Martha »

I must say, I like two so I can read propped up, as well.

I think the suggestion of putting the spare in the cupboard is a good one too - I always find it reassuring to have an extra blanket and pillow available, even if I don't use them...
enid

Post by enid »

2 on each single bed plus a bolster - 4 on the double plus a bolster - I like that propped up possibility too - if guests don't they can throw off the ones they don't need.

Plumptious - there's a word to add to my vocab :D
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

We also provide two pillows per person. I personally like to sleep on rather flat pillows, but I like to have a big fluffy pillow to "hug" when I sleep on my side. So the pillows at the house are a sort of mix-and-match variety of height and fluffiness.

As for towels, we have both the standard size bath towels and the enormous bath sheets, one of each for everyone. I had always figured bigger is better, but my Dad and my aunt both said they prefer smaller bath towels that don't touch the wet floor when they're drying off. To each his own!

All these extras make a lot of laundry, but these differences make for repeat bookings and help justify our rental price (not outrageous, but at the higher end of properties in our area).
Brooke
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

My heart always sinks if I only get one pillow on my side of the bed.I end up sleeping (badly) with it folded up, or trying to pinch my husband's if he gets up for the loo.
I always provide 4 for the double bed in the apartment, two synthetic and two feather. If we have children on the sofa bed I just give one per child, as it's not good for children to have 2 ( or so I have been told). I always have spares in the house in case we are asked for more.
I do tend to buy cheap pillows though, as I like to be able to throw them away as soon as they start to get grotty. I've never managed to sucessfully wash a pillow ( even expensive ones), so I like to be able to repace them frequently.I would love to be able to launder them though, as I get attached to mine and hate changing them.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Ours are bamboo fibre (I think), hubby is allergic to down and feathers, and they are reall plump and springy. There are four on the double bed, and the sofabeds have one per person, but they are really thick, as myself and son wouldn't dream of sleeping with just one at home, and frequently i throw the second one onto the floor. I haven't the room for any more. EDIT- I know we are all caring owners here, but I have had to go ans buy pillows on one of our holidays before because my husband wheezes with feather pillows. It hadn't occured to either of us to mention it when booking, as my parents only bought synthetic ones for similar reasons. He does seem to be OK with pure down ones though. I don't think the pillows in question had been changed for a long time, and it was an old house, and a bit dusty inplaces (it was a cave!!!).
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Thanks everyone - I think two pillows is the way to go then (and it looks a bit more luxurious I suppose when you see the bed made up).
I hadn't considered the reading aspect! And I love reading in bed...so thanks for pointing that out.

I would have replied earlier but our little cat who doesn't normally go further than the front gate is missing and I've been looking for her all night.
I've just returned from putting posters into peoples mailboxes and sticking them on the lane.

Heres hoping she's OK

Mouse (who's very worried)
x
enid

Post by enid »

Heres hoping she's OK
I hope so too - let us know
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Enid - we got her back!

I put posters through the doors/post boxes of the holiday homes on our lane and some lovely german holidaymakers nextdoor rang to say she was stuck up their tree!

They must have looked especially as she was hard to see (too many leaves). Obviously she'd been there all night as I missed her about 10ish.

Odd thing was both of us had walked past that garden shouting her name at least 3 times - but unlike our two siamese (who hold conversations - loudly) she's very quiet and didn't make herself known.

Gosh I am SO relieved I am going out to get a celebratory cream cake from the patisserie!

Mouse
x
enid

Post by enid »

I am going out to get a celebratory cream cake from the patisserie!
That's such good news - worth 2 cream cakes I feel ) I'm having a celebratory mars bar - thanks for giving me an excuse :D
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Ooh Helen! I wish you'd said.

I have feather and synthetic pillows, but tend to put out the feather ones because that's what I prefer. I think from now on I will make a point of asking people which they prefer when they book.
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

So pleased you got her back Mouse :D