Owner's dogs - how to feature them.

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Martha

Owner's dogs - how to feature them.

Post by Martha »

Exciting times chez nous as we are going to be full time next door in the little chalet from early July as we are collecting our puppy Daphne en route! Of course you want a picture and here you are

She is an Italian Spinone and will probably look something like her great-aunt, sniffing my ear here:

She's unlikely to be a barker, they are not a noisy breed, are very laid back dogs and not inclined to cannon out and jump on you. Hopefully she will be very well mannered! She won't generally be allowed in the big chalet at all during the letting season.

We've had a couple of threads about owner's dogs but I wanted to discuss something a bit separate...how to word this on the site.

- We don't usually accept dogs and probably will continue not to. (sadly there's been too many bad experiences, especially with the garden). We don't say anything about this on the site at present, as occasionally I will allow it (e.g. I allowed one at the end of this season as there's no-one coming in after them)

- I know some people don't like dogs, and some are allergic to them.

- Of course, conversely, many people love dogs and it would be a plus.

I was thinking of making a bigger "about us" page on the site, since we are going to meet our guests more and be next door, anyway.

I thought I'd add a picture and a bit about her, something along the lines of
"Come round and say hello to Daphne if you like dogs - she's gentle, well-trained, and always happy to meet new friends. Allergy information about the chalet can be found here (link). "
The link can go to a complete allergy info page detailing that she doesn't have access to the main chalet, but that we are happy to do an extra deep clean if informed in advance of an allergy. (I do have some allergy info already on the site, in the Accessibility section, but plan to move it to its own page)

I think dog announcements should be kept neutral (there will be plenty of room on the blog for those who would like to know more!) I think it's important not to put off those who don't like dogs or have allergies to them. Also it would be useful to know in advance if, for instance, a child didn't like dogs. I'd rather know that it was an issue and keep a very close eye on her that week, than have people getting upset. They are calm dogs, and not threatening at all in appearance, but quite big.

Or am I just overthinking this, and I should just bring it up in conversation in the welcome meeting? There's no need for anyone to encounter her at all if they don't want to.

What do you do? And do you think I should let our summer bookings know?
Thanks! :)
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Bunny

Re: Owner's dogs - how to feature them.

Post by Bunny »

Martha wrote: Or am I just overthinking this, and I should just bring it up in conversation in the welcome meeting? There's no need for anyone to encounter her at all if they don't want to.

And do you think I should let our summer bookings know?
Thanks! :)
No, I don't think you are over thinking this. I agree with everything you have said. You definitely need to be upfront that there is a dog on site. I have had several guests arrive and then want reassurance before they come in the gate that there is not a dog on site. I don't think it's acceptable to just mention it at the welcome meeting unless the dog is completely fenced in separately and away from them. I know that I have had guests who would not have booked if I accepted dogs so personally I would let the summer bookings know, if it were me. Unless of course, you can absolutely guarantee no contact with the dog and it is effectively no different from a neighbour having a dog.
Martha

Post by Martha »

Thanks for the input :)
Well - I pretty much could guarantee that, if necessary. But I'd prefer to be clear about it. I have a very good friend who is severely allergic to dogs and even standing next to someone who has been petting one hours ago can set her off. (I'm going to have to shower and change before visiting her from now on, which is a shame - on the plus side she'll be a good tester to make sure the main chalet remains clear of stray hairs!)
And, as you say, some people are very scared of them.

I think it's awkward for those people - many people don't want to say: "I'm scared of dogs", or "I don't like dogs" to someone who clearly does.

I was actually thinking of adding a checkbox to the booking form. Something like:

We have a quiet, gentle and friendly dog (link to more info/link to allergies page) but we completely understand if you prefer not to encounter her. Please tick here if this is your preference.

So it's kept completely clear and neutral, they don't need to consider the phrasing at all.

NB we don't market the place as allergy free, rather the reverse as we have all kinds of allergens in the house, but I am clear about them.
Last edited by Martha on Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I once had a guests who was also terrified of cats and I could tell she was embarrassed to ask about it. I think your tick box is an unusual approach but it could work and shows that you are caring and consider everyone's preferences. I think I would add after "if you prefer not to encounter her" - "(which can be guaranteed)". Just because I know some people have a real fear of dogs and may not come if there was any doubt or risk.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

What about a checkbox for people who have a fear of gangs of cushions? :wink:

BTW, we've just had previous guests book to come again with their Spinone - soft as a brush, but that pup is something else again.
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

I think you're over-thinking it. :oops:

We don't accept dogs because we have other animals - the cats, our own dog, (outdoor, non-meat) rabbits, chickens, sheep... we don't want to manage dogs in the house as well as their owners. One or the other but not both. :twisted:

There are photos of the dog and a cat or two on our website. This is deliberate. I emphasise in the Ts&Cs that the pets are not allowed in the guest accommodation at all, even if guests want to take them there. And that's it.

The dog sometimes trots up the stairs to say hello to guests on arrival and I immediately say are you okay with dogs or would you like me to send her away... and those who are comfortable instantly make a fuss of her and those who don't like dogs can be spotted immediately and I send her back down the stairs.

So I don't labour the point pre-arrival or even on arrival and often, until they see her being walked, guests don't even realise we have a dog. Some (most) guests will go out of their way to meet your Daphne... who is absolutely gorgeous! - we need more and regular photos! - and others won't.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

I agree with Normandie's spot on advice - there's no need to make a feature of your dog (which could put some of your less doggy guests off) and as long as you're not one of those people who thinks that because you love your dog, everyone loves your dog (you don't sound like one!), then you should be fine. Sure, some people don't like/are scared of dogs, but in my experience, only the very neurotic /attention - seeking individuals will continue to kick up a fuss after a pet's been removed from their immediate vicinity by a sensitive owner.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Griffon Korthals?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

We had a Spinone called Boswell, who sadly died from old age last year. He was a truly delightful dog and we miss him every day. He was a soft and friendly character and did great front of house duties for us.

We always made it abundantly clear in our literature that we lived on site and had three dogs. Our garden was fenced and gated and the dogs were only allowed out under our supervision and kept away from the gites, pool and play areas. This way, it was possible for those guests who wished to meet and maybe walk our dogs to do so - it also reassured other guests who didn't like or were afraid of dogs that they need have no contact with them.

In ten seasons, the only problem we had was when an adult guest lacking in common sense climbed over the locked and 'no entry - dogs' signposted gate into our garden whilst we were out and got bitten on the ankle by our terrier for his foolishness (this is the same terrier who loved small children and would happily allow them to pull his tail and ears). Dogs, in my experience, usually defer to their owners whilst they're around, but may take responsibility for security when you're not.
Jim
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Oh Martha, I'm in love :lol:

And I'm with Normandie and the 'overthinking' brigade ... we have a dog (we had two until last year) and although I make some reference to him on our website I don't make a big thing of it. We find that if guests love him - which most do - he loves them back, but if they're indifferent, so's he. In fact it's interesting, because he's often the first to greet the new arrivals ... unless they're non-doggy people, in which case he doesn't do his usual welcome routine ... how does he know, when he's never met them before, I wonder?

He's not allowed in the guest accommodation (though I know some guests do sneak him in sometimes!), and we find it all works well, in spite of not having fences.

We do take four legged guests as well, so people who are completely anti-dog or dog-allergic probably wouldn't book.

You'll be fine, I'm sure - and Daphne's going to grow up around guests so she'll be used to it in the blink of an eye.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Gorgeous dog!

But I too think you're over thinking it. I don't really get this allergy or fear of dogs, cats, rabbits, spiders, cushions thing (ok, the cushions do worry me a tad in a low light scenario).

We are on site with dogs and cats and ferals.....but none bother the guests, unless they try, and the dog is completely seperate.
I never mention anything....and have had the odd person who has a cat allergy (when I mention my neighbours cat likes to lounge on the seat cushions if not propped up) but, oddly they've never suffered any reaction.

I mean how far do you take these things? Fear of the colour orange? (Whixh is my own personal phobia :lol: )

Relaxed Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Whilst I agree that a tick box is 'over thinking it', I do think it is vital, as on site owners, that we make it clear that we have animals on site. I've always listed what animals we have. It is not what we mention, it is what we don't mention that causes us problems. If mentioning my animals puts some people off then that's a good thing; I don't want unhappy guests. In my experience people with a genuine phobia of dogs or an allergy would be ill at ease just knowing there was a dog on site whether it was locked away or not, so I'd rather they didn't book (not that I currently have a dog). I know someone who simply wouldn't 'trust' that the dog couldn't get to them and would want to leave. All of our guests have different needs, often which we know nothing of, so I would consider the presence of animals just as much a material fact, as how many steps lead up to a property etc. Judging from the amount of comments I've had from my guests about dogs, there's a surprising amount of people out there who prefer to avoid them.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Is it unreasonable to expect that a guest with a true phobia of anything would check in advance if something was going to affect them seriously? We leave a loaf of bread from a local bakery for guests - should we attach warnings re nut allergies, gluten intolerance etc etc, and if we don't are we really failing in our responsibilities? Domestic pets are a reality everywhere so the risk for a phobic guest booking a place in proximity to one is high, and they must realise this. On the other hand, keeping a tiger as a pet is fairly rare and it would be unreasonable to expect guests to check in advance, but it might spoil their holiday if the tiger ate one of their children. (Okay, eating guests' children could also be a USP, but you'd need a watertight disclaimer :wink: )

It's a tricky path with some very slippery slopes.

However, if I saw Daphne on your website that could be the clincher for booking your place!

We did come across something like this at a B&B we booked in France. The owner had a photo of her two Goldies (with names) and made a point of mentioning that the dogs welcome arriving guests - fairly inevitable with a B&B unless you can construct a completely separate guest environment I suppose. It was sufficiently prominent that anyone with a problem could see what was in store, and choose to ask or look elsewhere - their responsibility and their choice.
Fifi

Post by Fifi »

I just put a sentence in my enquiry response saying I have two very soppy Labradors and I hope it is not a problem - seems to work! And if someone wants to bring their dog, along with all the usual caveats about not leaving them home alone, poo picking, voluntary contribution to the SPA, etc etc, I make it clear that there are two dogs here already, so visiting dogs must be friendly and calm. What usually happens is the halfwits do the canine meet and greet (aka much bottom sniffing), and then they and visiting dogs hare off and that's them sorted for the week ..... Oh and this picture is sent on request .....
People who arrive after 10pm, shouldn't expect a hug.....
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

greenbarn wrote:Is it unreasonable to expect that a guest with a true phobia of anything would check in advance if something was going to affect them seriously?
One would hope that they would. I do get quite a few business lets out of season whereby it has been booked by someone at HQ who is not even staying and the employees are just told when and where to turn up. The woman who was afraid of cats was exactly this scenario and wouldn't even get out of the car until I assured her I didn't have a cat. I have a friend who is terrified of birds. So, I mention my free range chickens. Apparently, it's the wings - she can't stand anything that flaps!

This may shock you even more and slightly going off tangent but I even mention who lives on site. My only daughter is a young adult now. Adults who want a child free week can be rest assured that's what they'll get, whilst families with children who want a more sociable experience with other children to play with know that there will be no playmates here for them.

I can't see the harm in providing as much information as possible as to exactly what sort of property they are booking in order to match guests to the experience as much as possible.