£'s or €'s??

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
limousin-cottage

£'s or €'s??

Post by limousin-cottage »

Just wondering what your thoughts are on whether it is best to list in £1's or €'s?? I always listed in euros, being resident in France, but decided to change to £1's a few months ago, when the exchange rate became very favourable for UK guests. Not sure whether I did right or not.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Not quite sure what your reasoning was behind changing to sterling now the exchange rate is more favourable? Does this mean you've increased all your prices? I price in euros, have always done so and will continue to do so. Most people who book here can work out what the equivalent exchange rate is for them. And I don't just have UK guests, also French, Dutch, Belgian, Irish as well as international, so keeping to one currency, euros, makes more sense.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Do you know any other business in France which advertises in £s?

There are widgets available that can change the prices on your website to any currency with the click of a button but if in the EU I can't see any reason to have prices fixed in £s, unless you ONLY advertise in the UK and ONLY accept UK guests.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Nearly all our clients are British and so I decided to price in £'s so they could easily budget without contending with a fluctuating exchange rate.
This also means that ours prices have stayed consistent.

It causes us no hassle as we have a UK account where the money goes and then we transfer over what we need when the exchange rate is favourable.

Horses for courses

Mousie
x
Last edited by Mouse on Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

kevsboredagain wrote:Do you know any other business in France which advertises in £s?.
I don't off hand know the name of such a business, but if their customer base was predominantly British, then I may expect them to price in GBP.

+1 Mousie
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

e-richard wrote: if their customer base was predominantly British, then I may expect them to price in GBP.
but the person asking has a website in English, French and German so I assume this would not be the case
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

kevsboredagain wrote:..but the person asking has a website in English, French and German so I assume this would not be the case
Ooooh, Kevin, you are so much more diligent than I. I did not think to check. :wink:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Mouse wrote:Nearly all our clients are British and so I decided to price in £'s so they could easily budget without contending with a fluctuating exchange rate.
This also means that ours prices have stayed consistent.

It causes us no hassle as we have a UK account where the money goes and then we transfer over what we need when the exchange rate is favourable.

Horses for courses

Mousie
x
+1 - Horses for courses.

We price in GB pounds for the same reason and deal with UK bank transfer payments to our UK bank account the same way as Mouse. 99% of our guests are from the UK, so it is the easy way for them. We don't object to someone wanting to pay the Euro equivalent, and then the transfer would be to our Euro bank account in Greece, but it hardly ever happens.

Who knows, next month the alternative to sterling could be drachmas!
limousin-cottage

Sorry for the delay in coming back peeps. I think the reasoning behind changing my prices on my HL listing was that I saw a lot of other holiday lets in France were also in £'s. As prospective customers often seem to be blind when it comes to reading details on listings :roll: I just thought it made mine stand out as more expensive in euros lol. All I did at the time was work out the weekly rate at the current exchange rate. It's interesting to read what everyone else does. I have since changed it back to euros, don't ask me why as I can't really work out if it made any difference to enquiries or bookings. :oops:
limousin-cottage

My customer base is 90% British.
chipiechoo

Post by chipiechoo »

We have only ever displayed our prices in euros, though OD show a headline price in GBP.
We do sometimes accept a deposit in GBP but the balance must always be in euros.
This is where we live, declare our income and pay taxes so GBP just means we have to show the exchange of sterling which we got months earlier at sometimes an over valued rate. A no brainer really living in France and receiving income in GBP.
But, each to their own. And yes at the moment our prices do look somewhat cheap in GBP but it isn't bringing any additional bookings.
pambon

Post by pambon »

My rates are shown in Euro.

However, according to the exchange rate of the day I am happy to let guests know what they can pay in pounds into my forex account (have no UK bank account now) and give them a choice of paying either in pounds into my forex account or euros into my Italian account.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

I used to set my price in Euro and guests could pay the USD equivalent if they preferred at the current exchange rate. I have, however, just switched over to rates in USD but will crept the current Euro equivalent ;-) I live in the US as do most of my guests & I would recieve significantly less per week if I stuck with the old rates now that the dollar is strong. Of course, I also hadn't changed/upped rates in NINE years so going from 385e to $497 as not a big jump. We'll see how it goes. In general, my guests always pay in usd anyway. I only get a handful of EU guests for the Italy house.
pambon

Post by pambon »

Hi Musetta, good to see you back again! Long time no hear!
Hope the $ have been rolling in!