NEWBIE LOOKING FOR HELP

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
greenbarn

Re: New

Post by greenbarn »

JaneS wrote:Welcome

Have a look at http://www.pawsforawalk.co.uk.

I agree you need to be on a big listing site too. Which one? Use google to see which listing sites are on page 1 of your search result.

Good luck and best wishes

JaneS
JaneS, out of interest are you getting anything from Pawsforawalk - or Paws In Britain as they've now rebranded themselves? I haven't seen any clickthroughs from them in a long time, but used to get some traffic.
Anyone else? We all know how listing sites that work for some don't work for others.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Okay - ignore my last post. I've just done a more thorough filter on my stats and I've had 8 website hits via Paws since 1st May. That doesn't sound like a lot, but it's a fairly cheap site, and although I don't know the conversion rate from those hits (I group all the dog friendly sites I use together for stats) they're all visits from people with a particular interest that we can satisfy. The other dog friendly sites I use (and mention above) generate a lot more traffic - but that's only my experience and not necessarily a useful guide for others!
Johnson-Cottage

NEWBIE LOOKING FOR HELP

Post by Johnson-Cottage »

thanks for all of your comments. I get the idea that using one of the major players is most likely the way to go.

Can anyone help with experience of using owners direct Vs IKnow Yorkshire. Both have different levels of 'buy in' with both offering guarantees that no further charges for listings until you have 'made 5 x cost of listing'

Any feedback good or bad would be welcome.

Thanks again

Silver Fox
Silver Fox
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I used Iknow in the past - both Yorkshire and Lakes - but dropped them after a while; this would be 4 or 5 years ago when OD were still a good site. They were very persistent.
After IK underwent big changes I had another look at them but didn't like their model, as they'd be too involved in how I choose to run my own business. They seem to be trying to compete head on with the big boys while only being a small player, which is unlikely to have much success - they don't have the $Ms to spend on Google. Be wary of any "guarantees" - the small print usually says something along the lines of "there are no circumstances under which we couldn't wriggle out of coughing up."

I no longer use OD, or indeed any of the major sites so can't be of much more help. But a key point is that one person's recommendation or condemnation of a site is irrelevant - they all work for some and not for others, and nobody here has yet found the magic formula for determining if they'll work for them! So far, the only true test is to sign up, cough up, and see what happens - bearing in mind that the following year could be completely different :?

There's a lot about OD on here, less (at least recently) about IK, so maybe some current users will chip in with their experiences, but IK and OD are not a straight comparison.

Post by Guest »

:?:
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaneS

Listing sites

Post by JaneS »

I am sorry it has taken me so long to reply as some notifications of postings seem to be going into my spam folder while some to my inbox.

To answer GB's question, I have had 34 hits from Paws Abroad to my website since 3 June, but they are now trailing off. I know that two bookings I have for August through my website originated from Paws Abroad.

JaneS
brightmike

Post by brightmike »

I have improved the position of my web site by posting daily on Google Plus - a did a course with Bookings+4G It was excellent & really helped me understand how to use Google Plua
rosebud, can you say why specifically daily posting on G+ is a good idea?

I also notice on your site is says you have 15K G+ likes but only 10 likes on FB. How did you get so many G+ likes.

Hope you don't mind me asking since it seems interesting :)

p.s. we are just down the road in Brighton
Our property website can be found by looking at our profile.