Suitable reading for a nonagenarian?

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
lorca

Post by lorca »

Ah yes, 50 SOG is a load of badly written cr*p. But having spent a lot of time talking with my 93 year old FIL, I no longer assume that just because you're very old you are suddenly no longer interested in sex or politics ...or rock'n'roll :wink:

I really hope that if/when I get there I won't be forced to play bingo and watch daytime TV and read Mills and Boon and listen to Des O'Connor - while mumbling toothlessly to the 25 year old nurse that we invented Glastonbury.

Ah well
If not now, when?
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

I've just been over in the UK for a few days, visiting Ma... and there, on the bed, was her copy of 50 Shades. :lol:

She hadn't got around to starting it by the time I left so I'll await informed comment from her...
lorca wrote:I really hope that if/when I get there I won't be forced to play bingo and watch daytime TV...
No one forces you to play bingo... mainly because of the 40 or so residents, about 75% of them have dementia and can't direct their minds sufficiently to concentrate on a game like that.

But I watch more daytime tv that my mother does... all that bloody ironing...

However, she does listen to Val Doonican, Trini Lopez, Russ Conway, Manuel and his music of the Mountains, Mrs Mills... and so do those in the corridor and rooms around her... :lol:
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Normandie wrote:However, she does listen to Val Doonican, Trini Lopez, Russ Conway, Manuel and his music of the Mountains, Mrs Mills... and so do those in the corridor and rooms around her... :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

My octagenarian mother (currently away on a Saga cruise :D ) sometimes asks me for reading suggestions. However, as she mostly reads at night, she doesn't want anything scary, nor anything with blood and guts, and I think she's already read pretty well all of both Catherine Cookson's and Maeve Binchy's books. Before I recommend anything to her, I practically have to read the whole book to ascertain its suitability - and 50 Shades does not, absolutely not, fall into the suitable category :roll: :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!