Extra guests

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Jules

Extra guests

Post by Jules »

We have an occupancy of 5. Family currently staying booked for 4 and then when they arrived asked if a family of 3 could stay overnight for one night. I politely said no. The extra guests then rang me to see if I knew of somewhere they could stay and I gave them information about B&Bs and hotels that may accommodate them for one night. So last night what do we see extra car in drive and it was still there this morning. After 15 years doing this, history tells me that people who take liberties leave the property in a state. Has anyone any suggestions how I manage this situation.
tavi

Post by tavi »

Difficult one,

before accusing them you need to be certain the extra guests stayed there, and didn't just leave their car for free parking?

Do you take a damage deposit? How many beds were made up? Did they get a discount for sleeping only 4 not 5?

I'd say something like "were Mr & Mrs Vagrant unable to find a B&B - it's just I noticed their car still there?" Then wait for them to confess, or present them with a bill. No point in falling out with them.
Jules

Post by Jules »

Thanks for advice. They definitely stayed. I hate confrontation so I will take your advice and wait and see if they volunteer anything. We live next door. No discount offered as occupancy is 4/5 and no damages deposit - we gave up on that years ago as it is so difficult to implement. We have been so hospitable, which is normal for us. They have borrowed all the surf boards we have and we have lent them all the wetsuits we have. However, I notice they are all strewn around outside. Oh well the life of an owner.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

The word "disrespectful" springs to mind.
:roll:

If it were me I might be tempted to ask if they've finished with the wetsuits etc and if so take these items back.

Tavi's idea is good but without a way of taking an extra charge it's difficult to know what to suggest.
Fleur
tavi

Post by tavi »

So, you could say that they were entitled to one extra guest based on paying for occupancy up to 5? Why not have a think about how much you'd like them to pay for the other two.

If I were you I'd contrive to be around when the "extras" leave - giving cheery waves and big smiles so they know you know! Then pop in with your bill.

I only sleep 2 ABSOLUTE MAX, but last year a couple asked if their 20 yr old daughter from overseas could stay for a couple of nights before flying back to London. We have a sofa-bed (which is not advertised).

I charged for bedlinen/towels and a bit to cover extra utilities used..etc.

I also charge a damage deposit - I'm convinced it focuses people's minds a little.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

This is a scenario I hate too, especially being on site and seeing it happening. It happened not long ago when I had 10 in my sleeps 8 cottage for one night. They also had asked permission and I had said no, so that makes it all the more annoying and I hate confrontation too. I did bill them for the extra two guests for one night and they paid up. They reckoned that late at night two of them found themselves with no where to go! I offer under occupancy discounts so I do make it absolutely clear that the price will increase if more subsequently stay. My T&Cs also make it clear that if they go over my max. occupancy then they will be charged x per night (which works out more than my standard pppn pro rata price) and the whole party will be required to leave. Since I added this term, the incidences have decreased. If you are 100% sure they stayed then I think you have to bill them. If they just get away with it they will think it is perfectly acceptable and will do it the next time. After all, they are taking something they are not entitled to. Be brave; good luck.
Jules

Post by Jules »

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will see what is forthcoming if anything and if not hand them a bill as advised. I am also tempted to ask for £100 damages deposit in cash as we are so worried about the property.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Presuming you didn't give an under occupancy discount, I would only charge for the extra two beyond your normal price. That way, it shows that you are being firm but fair.

My minimum under occupancy charge is for 6 guests, so if 4 booked and 6 stayed I would turn a blind eye, but over occupancy is a totally different matter and a strict no for me.
If undeclared additional guests stay for more than one night though, I would always go and ask for the names to be added to the rental agreement.

They know they are in the wrong, having already asked and been told no. I suspect they take the view "let's just do it and see if she says anything" in the vain hope of possibly getting away with it. When I presented the bill to my guests they were extremely apologetic and paid up without question.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

I would be tempted to confront the renters. Tell them they are not to have others staying over. Even if they are not using extra beds, bedding then they are probably dossing down on sofas and using the bathroom / water supply etc.

You could say that for your insurance policy to be valid you must have names of everyone who stays.

Definitely reclaim those wetsuits etc. I am sure you must need them for your own immediate use :wink:
Fleur
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

I always find it best to draw to guests attention during pre-booking communications - 'insurers terms insist only the persons named on the booking form can occupy the property' anything over that amount is considered a breach unless agreed in advance or etc etc apply.
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
Jules

Post by Jules »

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I thought my Ts and Cs were pretty belt and braces but just added a few more! Will see if they voluntarily own up this evening. If not I will present them with a bill.
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

Jules, sorry to hear this. I've had the odd disrespectful guest but soon got over it, they are off next week & you don't ever have to see them again.

I had a nice pen disappear 3 weeks ago, the lady said she had never seen it. I prepared the villa myself & cleaned it after, sadly there are some people who have a distorted view of reality....

You soon forget the bad ones, the next ones are always better.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Any news???
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com