List of complaints a mile long from our latest guests

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Sara

List of complaints a mile long from our latest guests

Post by Sara »

Hello everyone

We are new to this business and are ecstatic to have got 20 weeks booked in our first season. So far, we have had a few problems with appliances failing but apart from that the visitors book is filled with wonderful comments about the villa, contents, pool and views. BUT, the family that just left has filled two whole pages of our visitors book with complaints. As I leave a separate questionnaire to be filled in with a rating grid for each service and a section for comments I would have thought that this would be the place for a barrage of criticism about the property.

In essence they feel misled as I did not tell them that there are three half built villas down the hill. These do not obstruct the view but, yes, you can see them and yes, from time to time there are some workers there. These villas were started two months after their booking but I see now that I should perhaps have told them. They also compained about lack of supplies. I leave washing liquid, dishwasher tablets, washing machine liquid and toilet roll. There is also water and wine placed in the villa on their arrival. I must say that the caretaker forgot to put kitchen roll this time so that is another complaint I accept. These guests have listed all the things they expect to be there - oil, vinegar, herbs, ketchup, mayoinnaise and made the point that they have left all these things at the villa. Personally, I would never leave anything opened in the fridge, it seems very unhygenic. What do you think?

What do you leave at your properties for guests' arrival?

I would have been happy to reimburse them for having to buy cling film and kitchen roll but the fact that they have written so much criticism in our Visitors Book just makes me angry and I feel like offering nothing.

Anyway, I've made myself more grumpy writing this so am off to have a cup of tea!!

Sara
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Sara- what were their expectations? Did you actually claim to leave them all this stuff? If not, then they were lucky that you left them as much as you did! Is it a cultural thing? What nationality are they ? I certainly don't leave cling film !! I leave all teh other things you mention but only as a sort of surprise, I don't advertise the fact . If your visitor book is full of lovely comments then this attack sounds fishy !!
enid

Post by enid »

If your visitor book is full of lovely comments then this attack sounds fishy !!
My feelings exactly - and why didn't they bring these things up during the week with your caretaker.?We've just said goodbye to guests who took and expected more but as they are way out of synch with all our other guests behaviour and feed back we're just going to let them go without letting them get to us and I think you should do the same.

Well done on such a good start to your business :D
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I've just looked at your website Sara (lovely place!) and I don't think you are raising expectations.

I thought exactly what Fraise has mentioned - a cultural difference perhaps.

I wouldn't leave the items they were expecting unless a previous occupant had left some (e.g oil, balsamic vinegar, foil etc) but nothing that was an open jar - as you say, hygiene is an issue.

On the building work side of things - this is a problem here as well. Even though we live in a small village that hasn't been touched in years 1 month before we started renting the council decide to put in footpaths!
I decided to leave mentioning it (as it was a distant noise) and apologise when people arrived. They were all fine about it and thankfully it only effected our first 2 bookings.
IMO - if the building works are close by then its right to mention them but for them to complain about unfinished buildings spoiling the view is unreasonable when holidaying in a progressive country like greece (...the african plains perhaps!?)
If a completely natural view is what they wanted then the onus was on them to ask.

Take heart from your successful visits and file this away under unreasonable requests. I wouldn't be tempted to refund them anything. And they obviously knew they were ruining your visitors book - so for me that was a childish act of malice - gives a clue perhaps to the type of people they were?

Mouse
x
Vally

Post by Vally »

I know I have said before that expectations appear to be different abroad for " self-catering" but the essence is still the same it is "self-catering" not serviced accommodation.
In my cottages I leave washing up liquid, washing machine tablets, all cleaning stuff in "wipes" form , I do not expect them to spring clean but I do expect it to be left clean and tidy, Kitchen roll, toilet rolls and spare light bulbs, as well as a plant /flowers and a welcome basket with eggs, milk (bread sometimes) cereal, jams, yoghurts, biscuits, butter and of course a bottle of mineral water ( we have our own mineral springs which are bottled commercially and sold worldwide).
anything folk have left , olive oil, salt and pepper etc, I bin, I would not want to use someones leftovers and I wouldn't leave them for my guests.
we also leave bathroom toiletries but this is because we use them in the hotel and its a cheap "added value" item.
Sara

Post by Sara »

Thanks for your comments.

The guests were BRITISH. I must say that the only people to complain have been British. We have had Americans, French, Swedes, Fins, Dutch without a hitch.

I think our guests were unlucky this week as there was some building noise going on but it certainly wasn't excessive. I now plan to make sure that there is always a supply of oil, kitchne roll, etc but am happy that you agree that the comments in the visitors book were unnecessary. I get very personlly involved with the villa even though we are not on site and I hate to think that guests don't have a wonderful time, especially as they are paying a lot of money.

I do plan to add a bit extra to the security deposit when I return it to cover the costs of the basic supplies they had to buy. Hopefully, that will stop them coming back for further refunds which I certainly do not plan on offering.

Sara
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Some people are just so objectionable!

If all those things they expected were so important to the enjoyment of their holiday, then they should have enquired about them before booking. It's far too much to expect!

As for building work, unless it's right outside and the noise is obtrusive, then you needn't have mentioned it. Building work is going on just about everywhere these days and if they wished to avoid it, again they should have mentioned this when booking.

The kind of people who would spoil a guest book full of nice comments are certainly not people to worry about. That was very nasty of them. However as all your comments have been good ones, I'm sure other guests will realise that this comment was left by someone petty. After all how many people actually expect herbs and mayo?

In our apartment I leave all cleaning materials in the hope that they will be used. I also leave tin foil, with a clean piece lining the oven, again another hint. I also leave bin bags and disposal bags for sanitary products. If I had a dishwasher I would leave tablets, but I don't leave washing powder. I see washing their clothes as their responsibility.
Foodwise, I leave croissants, bread, jam, butter, two savouries, from ham, eggs, cheese or pate. Tomatoes, cucumber, fruit and a small bar of chocolate per person. I also leave individually wrapped sugar, sweeteners, a small box of tea bags, small jar of coffee,sachets of hot chocolate, water, juice, red wine, white wine and a couple of cans of beer. There is also salt and pepper which I refill. At the moment there are also sachets of oil, mayo, vinegar andd ketchup, but that is only because I have managed to collect these when I have been out and about. Having written all that I can now see why my husband and friends tell my I leave too much!! I have to stress though that I would never expect to have all those things provided for me. I only do it because I once stayed somewhere (only once) with an excellent welcome pack and I was really delighted and impressed with it. My guests do comment on the standard of the welcome pack and I think that goes to show that they hadn't expected too much. Your guests expected far too much!
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Sara I shouldn't worry about the negative comments these guest have made and don't let it knock your confidence! Their expectations of a self-catering holiday is certainly very high!! :lol:

We have been on many self-catering holidays and I would not expect to find any of the things your guests have listed, especially mayonaise!! Personally I think people like these set out to complain from the onset. We had a family from hell (luckily the only bad experience we've had in 3 years of renting) who complained about everything including that the welcome pack was not to their taste!! They were celebrating a special anniversay and we left them 2 bottles of expensive Cava in the fridge (which got drunk). They too left us a 2 page 'note' listing all their petty complaints (wonder whether it's the same family!!). I'd bin the 2 pages of complaints..that's what I did with ours!

All our other guests have left us nice thank you notes in our guest book and have commented that the welcome pack was very much appreciated.

We provide bread, butter, 1lt milk, 1 lt lemonade, 2lt mineral water, jar of jam, 1lt San Miguel, 1lt Sangria, tea, coffee and sugar. We leave soap and toilet rolls in the bathrooms and there is a herb rack and salt and pepper in the kitchen, but no other condiments. I don't provide soap powder for the washing machine but leave a 'starter' cleaning pack in the kitchen. To me that is more than enough to get people started on a self-catering holiday.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Sara,

In my experience no matter how good your accommodation is and no matter how well equipped it is there will always be someone who finds it obligatory to “whinge� about something.

Most of our clients are just the opposite. They are often amazed at what is included. They often say “this kitchen is better equipped than mine at home�. Nobody “at home� supplies them with free oil, vinegar, herbs, ketchup or mayonnaise and they don’t expect them here.

Don't let it disturb you. If they are as anti as they say they will not be back. If they want a refund (unlikely) tell them in the nicest possible way to “get lost�.

“Le client est roi?� Only when he is right.

Alan
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I think they were expecting a bit too much. Kitchen roll maybe but not the other condiments. I supply salt, black pepper, vinegar and have a bottle of oil. I always remove half jars of jam, mayo etc. I wouldn't like someone elses toast crumbs hanging about in my food.

I wouldn't refund them anything as it may leave the door open for them to get stroppier! Is there anyway you can remove the pages from the book? Sometimes if folk see a criticism they jump on the bandwagon with their own tiny niggles!
enid

Post by enid »

I wouldn't refund them anything as it may leave the door open for them to get stroppier!
I agree - offering extra to their security deposit would adlmit culpability - and these clients soun, just the type to use that as a basis for further complaint.

I would just send back their deposit - apologise for anything that wasn't there but point out that all these things are extras anyway to a self - catering holiday and are a goodwill gesture on your part. I would also point out that as they saw from the guest book their opinion was not one that was shared by previous guests but thank them anyway for their feedback and say that you will take their comments into account in any forward planning for your property.

Then I would write my own comment under theirs in the guest book
Sara

Post by Sara »

Great advice, Enid, thank you!!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

We leave a bottle of wine, a couple of loo rolls, and add a note to the welcome instructions that say there are a few thing in the larder that they are wlecome to use, and as a courtesy to the next guests could they please replace them. In winter if the weather is bad, guests can arrive very late after the restaurants have finished serving, so we've left a jar of cassoulet, or some confit of duck , and a jar of haricots verts as well as a bag of rice.
We (or rather our friends) throw out any open jars from the fridge and cupboard, but leave the oil, vinegar and salt and pepper. I think it would be a dreadful waste to throw these away. When I left in June the larder was quite well stocked with rice, pasta, and a couple of jars of pasta sauce too. We also had a box of instant mash left by a previous guest. It is a good remedy for an upset stomach.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Agreed, Sara, don't refund them any extra. Just refund the deposit (but not until you are completely certain that they didn't do any kind of hidden damage) and be polite.

Enid's point that what you do offer is a bonus is a good one. We stayed last year at a gorgeous villa in Italy and had a wonderful time despite having to go to the store to buy our own dishwashing liquid, laundry detergent, toilet paper, paper towels, salt, pepper, water, everything! The villa provided nothing that was consumable but one starter roll of toilet paper (for four people). And yet it was gorgeous and very well-maintained, so it was clearly just a matter of different standards.

All this is just to reassure you (as others have) that these people are pretty nasty.

I would be very tempted to remove the pages from my visitors' book, but that might feel a bit dishonest -- depending on how ridiculous the comments are. I like Enid's idea of adding counter-comments below theirs, but what to write? Something very classy and polite that lets your future clients draw their own conclusion about those nasty clients, I suppose.
Brooke
enid

Post by enid »

I like Enid's idea of adding counter-comments below theirs, but what to write?
Perhaps something like this:

Some owners would have removed the above comments from the guest book but here at... we are interested in the opinion of all our guests. As you can see from previous entries these comments are unusual and we are pleased that the majority of our guests have enjoyed their stay and the extras that we provide.