steep stairs

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Janeseggy

steep stairs

Post by Janeseggy »

We have an old railway terrace cottage with very steep stairs. We tell all our guests this on all the websites we advertise with, when they arrive and on the email. Make sure we say we are not suitable for under 5's and put it again on the information sheet in the cottage. No-one has had any trouble until today ! Guest fell down them. No broken bones thankfully .
The problem being this was booked through an australian agency who never told me they were a holiday company. Never reply to my emails as they had given the guest no information on the cottage or the area and where the cottage is situated and I wasnt able to make contact with them - no email or mobile number until half an hour before they arrived.
On arrival they were clearly disastifsied with where we are situated and had no idea what sort of property they were coming too. Never thought to look us up on the holidaylettings or trip advisor sites. Both are over 70. I reminded them about the stairs when I met them.
Complaining now we don't have extra rails etc.
Ideas how to handle them gratefully recieved please
Holiday Cottage owner in York
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

So these guests booked tbrough an agencyand you had no dealings with them?
If so I would offer the usual sympathy and concern but point them back to the agency. Explain their relationship is with them, whilst also getting across that you fully brief all your direct guests and so the information was there for the agency to pass on. They didn't, so not your problem.

By far the biggest problems I have encountered is when owners have taken bookings via an agency. In some cases, like yourself, they didn't actually realise until something was said (they thought it was a friend booking because of the language difficulty).

In all cases I found out that the dissatisfaction came from the inflated price they'd paid (agency had taken their cut) leading them to expect better/different from what is offered.

It is difficult to make them happy in this situation and so always direct them back to their agency and let them earn their commission.

Good luck
Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
JanB

Post by JanB »

I feel for you, it is so upsetting. How foolish of them not to bother to find out what and where your property is situated. This means they did not select your property for its lovely location and character features, so no anticipation for a wonderful stay.

We had a similar problem in our cottage which not only had a winding staircase but was also situated on a hill - a fee times we had issues from guests.

No matter how clear we made it there would always be a complaint. At first, this made me feel annoyed and upset as the last thing I wanted was to have an unhappy guest.

However, I soon decided that someone of an age where they could find difficulties with certain elements - that is the elderly, very young or anyone else with a reason to assure themselves of the suitability of the property - really need to take responsibility for their own decision. It would have been easy to ask the question before they arrived and older properties do usually present a couple of challenges when compared to a modern bungalow.

These days, I feel everyone is looking for blame. This was an accident, nothing more.

All you can do is send a sympathetic note to say you are pleased there is no lasting damage.
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!
Janeseggy

steep stairs

Post by Janeseggy »

Thank you
That is most reassuring. At least I know I am on the right track !
Much appreicated
bessie

Post by bessie »

Hi
Our cottage has steep stairs with a straight drop to the front door.like you I make a big point of the steep stairs on web site and always remind each enquiry àbout the stairs in a separate email ensuring they understand .
I state not suitable for small children and also make sure they understand even if carrying children downstairs.
At the end of the day we can only advise and only the guest can judge if they can manage I have had a 90 year old who went up the stairs faster than me.
No one likes to see anyone hurt but they either were not told correct information in their country or choose not to check details.
Upsetting for you ,smile be helpful and send a blunt email to booking company.
newtimber

Re: steep stairs

Post by newtimber »

Janeseggy wrote: Complaining now we don't have extra rails etc.
Is it not possible to fit handrails?
If you are running a business (as opposed to a casual owner renting a few weeks) you do have a duty to make reasonable alterations to make your property accessible for people with disabilities.
Unless there is some reason why this would be very difficult/expensive, I would have thought that fitting extra handrails would fall into this category.

You haven't really explained your relationship with the agency and what agreement you have signed with them and whether the guests have a contract with the agency to supply them with suitable accommodation or whether the guests have a contract with you. If the contract is with the agency, then they should go back to the agency for a refund.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I have exactly the same issues as Bessie with steep stairs and if you fall down you hit the front door. My grandson fell down right in front of me but thankfully avoided striking the door.

I make it very very clear all over my website and also the other listings that it is steep and not suitable for the elderly and infirm. I do have a handrail on one side and on the other side a rope rail but the last four steps are rope rail only. I can't put a rail on the other side or it would be impossibly narrow. I was slightly irritated by someone complaining that the rope rail was not stable enough and I should have a fixed rail. If I did, then it would have to be removed any time we wanted to take a piece of furniture upstairs. She was told it was unsuitable for the elderly and infirm and those wobbly on their legs so she knew when she booked. She also wanted a handrail on the wall of the bath but this is impossible because of the construction of the wall. There are grip rails on the bath itself. i don't feel I am discriminating against the disabled. The cottage is unsuitable for them (odd little steps here and there also and you have to step up into the shower) full stop. Those who can't manage with the way it is are best booking somewhere completely on the flat. Even if there were another fixed rail, the staircase remains steep and hazardous for some (under five bookings not accepted).

It was the agency's responsibility to give a full and proper description of your property, Jane - really strange that the guests didn't get to see one but I suppose the agency did not want to tell them how much they were adding onto your normal rates. All you can do is sympathise that the agency has fallen down in their duty. I think it is very underhand of the agency not to tell you that they were booking for clients and not for themselves/friends. They had full knowledge from your website description so they are they are totally responsible for not passing on a warning of hazards.
Janeseggy

Post by Janeseggy »

Thank you but we have handrails both sides of the stairs !

The booking was made via Holiday lettings.
We have spent time with guests and smoothed things out. As I said the agency in Australia does not respond to email ! We have moved on and thank you for all your comments. They have been reassuring and useful.
Janeseggy

Post by Janeseggy »

Thanks Felicity. I agree the cottage sadly simply is not suitable, and with the best will in the world we can't make it right . As you say the hazards are listed - we will indeed advise them to take up the issue with their agent.
tavi

Post by tavi »

So glad no-one was hurt.

I agree with everyone - send the guests a short note to express your concern/sympathy, ask them to take this up with the Agency and assure them that you will be doing so too.

Also for your own peace of mind in the future I would suggest using this experience to learn how to avoid a repeat. Maybe consider...just a few suggestions:

refuse bookings from this agency - I'm not very clear on who or what is in charge of this booking, but it sounds like any other bookings will have great potential for disaster.

continue with the agency but insist on direct contact with the guest prior to their arrival.

be more specific about the danger of the staircase//mention that handrail support is not an option in parts.

include an attractive photo of the staircase in your website showing its rustic charm

create a full access statement with measurements etc...

raise your minimum age and reduce your maximum age

Obviously this fall is not your fault, and the guests really ought to have done their homework. But it's also you that suffers if you've got a cottage full of sad and bruised elderly people. Holiday letting is hard work so it's worth taking steps to make life as easy on yourself as possible!

Good luck :)
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

tavi wrote:
include an attractive photo of the staircase in your website showing its rustic charm

create a full access statement with measurements etc...

raise your minimum age and reduce your maximum age

Some good ideas and suggestions everywhere. Unfortunately you can't reduce your maximum age as it contravenes the Equality Act on the basis of age discrimination, but there's nothing to stop you highlighting the unsuitability for anyone with mobility or balance issues. You can't raise your minimum age to more than (16 or 18? can't remember!) but that's not likely to be an issue.

The access statement is a very good idea. It will take a bit of time to produce something comprehensive, but it will then be there to point to, and for any agency to have - they'll have no excuse for not making it available to potential guests prior to booking. It needs to go into detail - how many stairs, whether it's a straight run, the depth of the treads, the height of the risers, the overall width, the floor covering, colour contrasts - and that's just the staircase! IIRC when I produced ours it was based on a model provided by Visit England, who rightfully insist on you having an access statement to achieve any level of rating with them - in other words, they see it as a basic requirement to satisfy to be operating a holiday let, along with insurance, fire risk assessment etc.

I'll see if I can dig out the model I used, meanwhile you're very welcome to look at mine for ideas here
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I have taken photographs of my staircase and it actually looks far more terrifying in the photograph than it is. In fact, somebody who came and asked about it beforehand said that she thought it would be much worse and that I must be putting people off who could manage it easily! You can't win really, can you.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Janeseggy wrote:Thank you but we have handrails both sides of the stairs !

The booking was made via Holiday lettings.
We have spent time with guests and smoothed things out. As I said the agency in Australia does not respond to email ! We have moved on and thank you for all your comments. They have been reassuring and useful.
If you are using the standard holiday lettings booking contract, then an agency cannot book it for others. Only holidaymakers can book and the bookings are not transferrable. I assume that even if you are using your own booking contract, you don't allow bookings to be transferrable.
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

I've got just two things to add to this, things you already know anyway:

First:
A steep staircase is completely OK so long as guests know about it in advance. Our property which we've been letting for 22 years has a steep and narrow staircase and we've never had a negative comment about it.

Second:
Agency bookings are bad news. This year, I have got fed up with the wrong kinds of guests, guests who won't communicate and guests with an expectation of a huge plasma TV (we boast 19 inches, but some of the books are big). These are predominantly agency guests so I have discontinued our local agent and vanished from the likes of booking.com. We may have slightly fewer guests but happier and less troublesome ones, I hope.
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

We also have a fairly steep staircase which is open at one side, but with a handrail along the opposite wall.
We once had an American guest say 'this wouldn't be allowed in the USA'.
If we get any comments from guests, I normally retort that they should see the stairs in some of the houses near the canals in Amsterdam. There, it's better to slide down the rails like on a battleship than attempt to clamber down them. :lol: