No Idea What I've Done!

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Casscat

No Idea What I've Done!

Post by Casscat »

I seem to have committed something bordering on murder to my computer and I'm really not sure how to remedy things. I've been away for two weeks and when I returned home I had strange error messages on my desktop relating to Adobe, my TomTom Go sat nav app and the touch portal for my PC. I ignored them but then had major problems getting my new camera to link via wifi to my computer so I figured something strange had gone on with recent updates and decided to set a system restore to a point just prior to going on holiday. I did this, but unfortunately nothing is now working on my computer - nearly all my desktop icons have converted to Adobe Acrobat logos and I can't even open a browser window. I can't get into the system to try another restore point so I really seem to have bu99ered the whole thing big time. What have I done and can I salvage matters? :cry:
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

A nightmare scenario Casscat. I just hope there is someone on here who can tell you in what direction you should go. I think there will be.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Sounds like all your file associations have been messed up and it's matching up .lnk with Adobe.

Scroll down to last post and try the MS support solution.

http://www.overclock.net/t/816105/solve ... obe-reader
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

If you have Windows 7, Casscat, one of Adobe's solutions might work for you:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/appl ... robat.html
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

If you can't solve it yourself, I can recommend a firm who can fix it virtually - assuming it's possible for them to gain access. Local to me, but in the case of virtual fixing it doesn't matter where they are!
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Thanks for your responses guys :) I will have a fiddle around tonight (surely I cannot make things any worse!) but I also have a techie booked to come tomorrow evening if I cannot resolve the current issue myself.

One further question. I note that the 'fixes' linked to include opening zipped files. I was trying to install some software to allow me to send my photos wirelessly from my new camera to my desktop but when the zipped file needed to be opened I got a message saying that my free trial of Winzip had ended and I'd have to pay thirty-odd quid for a full subscription :? Is this usual?
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Er ... no, I don't think so, unless you're using installed software to open them rather than Windoze. I've always been able to open zipped files from within Windoze, whichever version, without installing anything.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Definitely won't open zipped files. When I decline the invitation to pay for Winzip I cannot open the compressed file at all.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Ooh er - not looking good Cass. All I can suggest is that if you can, back up everything in sight tonight!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Winzip is not free but without it, Windows 7 will also handle zip files.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

kevsboredagain wrote:Winzip is not free but without it, Windows 7 will also handle zip files.
I think this lack of ability to open is linked to whatever was affecting my PC even before the doomed system restore. I think I will have to run with the tech guy who is coming tomorrow to sort out all my gremlins. I have also been thinking about a new PC as mine is knocking on a bit (four plus years old). In fact I promised myself a new system if I got the job in Spain and then revised it to 'once I have sold my flat'...
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Sounds like it's nearly dead. I'll give you 10 quid for it :wink:
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

kevsboredagain wrote:Sounds like it's nearly dead. I'll give you 10 quid for it :wink:
Right this second I'm tempted to take you up on that! :mrgreen:
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Find yourself a tech guy or someone willing to make a remote connection. I highly recommend the free Teamviewer for that. Your problems sound very minor.

I should start a small business fixing PCs by remote connection :idea: My wife's family keep me pretty business breaking them all the time.
pambon

Post by pambon »

Just seen this thread and for any dummy like me Team Viewer is a godsend! My IT guy downloaded for me some years ago and he has resolved many little problems with it.

When I had a problem with Skype they also used it with my permission.