Property key rings ( fobs )

Services offered by owners that are relevant to the business of rentals.
Zur Alten Weinkelter

Property key rings ( fobs )

Post by Zur Alten Weinkelter »

Hi about 14 months ago i had some key rings ( fobs ) made at craft fair for my apartments they were carved in wood ,but sadly they are not really going to last another season so its time to start looking for some that are a bit more robust
so they all need replacing i have 4 apartments and i do not want to have the same ones re made
all i had engraved on the wood ones was the name of the apartment as i was in 2 minds if to include the name and details of the property as if found ( if mislaid ) by a someone they could trace the keys back and enter the property
so i am asking for suggestions does anyone get any personalised key fobs made for their property(ies) and what would they get engraved or written on them ( would they include the property address or details ) and they have to withstand guests chucking them about as i do not want to repeat the purchase every season
but i do not want the small plastic coloured fobs but something a bit more stylish :)
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Much rather keep mine small, cheap and anonymous. If you go for something fancy, then I'd make it small as nothing more annoying having a large key fob to carry around all day in your pocket.

I guess a mobile phone number on them would be ok for security.

I'm actually thinking of making mine key clips instead of fobs as they would be far more practical. When I go snowboarding, I clip my keys inside my jacket so no chance of losing them. I do the same when traveling.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

We have just small plastic ones on with a mobile no. We post ours out so can't have anythinf heavy.
Zur Alten Weinkelter

the 1st year when we bought the property we had the small coloured plastic ones the ones you get when you get keys cut , but as we are always on site i do not need to post them so i thought i would go for something a little more robust i also issue lanyard's so they can hang the keys around their necks if our walking for the day these have the house name but nothing else for security it was always an issue what to write on the fob so maybe i will stick to just the apartment/room name , i have seen some acrylic ones that you can get engraved as compared to the metal ones you get in large hotels which are heavy
i am just checking prices and reviews i can not think of another idea's unless anyone has any more suggestions
cysgod y coed

Post by cysgod y coed »

I had mine done from e bay. Lots of choice and cheap.
If you can keep your head when all around you are panicking.......you have probably not seen the whole picture.
gh

Post by gh »

We use champagne corks for our key rings. Not sure how to post a pic, guests love them.

Free with a bottle of champagne:-)
Zur Alten Weinkelter

thanks gh
i thought about wine corks as we are in a wine region but i like them with the apartment name on them to avoid confusion so not sure about personalisation bit and if they would break in time
maybe consult a brownie who did well at handicrafts :lol:
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Dog tags?
We had some made up for our guests from a seller on ebay that are laser engraved on stainless steel and look really good, and should be much harder wearing than the normal plated brass things. Not cheap as these things go, but good quality.
holidayloverxx

Post by holidayloverxx »

dog tag with phone number attached to a lanyard
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

We have some quite substantial, but pocket-sized metal fobs embossed with a chamois. So personalised but still anonymous.
Zur Alten Weinkelter

well the jury is out at the moment i have been thinking about the wine ( champagne )cork idea but not sure if they will be robust enough to last , the dog tags is an idea ,but i have someone quoting me on e bay for me metal ones engraved but pebble size so not to big like the professional hotel ones
and i have in mind some new lanyards to go with them

still i have sometime until next season to organise
but as the existing wooden ones are hanging on by the skin of their teeth for this season
you really have to think differently when it comes to guests
i have one pair of guests that stay with us every year same apartment etc .. but they always break or damage something nothing expensive to charge a breakage charge but still annoying
and they always know better :roll:
GRL

Post by GRL »

I had guests crochet some for me - large and bright but easy to fold up into a bag/pocket.
pambon

Post by pambon »

Just seen this topic; so what did you go for ZAW?

When I visited Kew Gardens some years back I bought several of their keys rings which are simply a piece of light wood weighing next to nothing about 5cm x 2cm with the word Home written on them. I purchased one for myself on which I have placed all the original rental keys, with Office written on it.

Yes, it's a little bulky perhaps but weighs less than a butterfly and I can be sure that guests won't loose or forget them someplace or take them home on departure!
Zur Alten Weinkelter

Pambon

I am still deciding but I have a few quotes out for small metal ones as the current hand carved wood ones are still in use (just) for this season it is amazing what guests have done to the wood ones which I thought would last
pambon

Post by pambon »

Yep, mine too are beginning to look a little worn so I may ask a local carpenter to use some left over wood to make a couple more when they eventually give up the ghost!