Ignorance is not bliss

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Mountain Goat

Ignorance is not bliss

Post by Mountain Goat »

Is there anyone out there who could PM me about the special requirements for a Jewish Orthodox family regarding accommodation and catering? i.e. have to admit that I am almost totally clueless.

Points of interest include cooking and container requirements, cutlery, utensils, Kosher food sources, cleaning etc.

It would be much appreciated.

Goat
gh

Post by gh »

If they were 'froom' (ultra orthodox) they would have asked if you provide for them. Have they asked?
The most important thing for them is that they have separate crockery, cutlery and cooking utencils for meat and fish/dairy produce, not to be stored together or washed together.
Accomodation is not a problem.

From our soon to be son-in-law Adam. If you need further Goat just ask.

Best to post this reply for info for all.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Crikey- I've never thought about any of this :?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Goat, did you get the booking from the Israeli travel site then?
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

johnel, thanks. They must be ultra-ultra - I'm discovering it's quite a bit more than this. TV banned. Milk has to come out of the cow direct. PM follows later.

HelenB - actually no.

Paolo - is there no chance of a private forum to discuss this? (monthly nag)..

Goat
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Goat, if they were ultra-ultra, then I'm afraid, I doubt they woulld be booking with you -(no offence intended). They would want to be sure that the premises had been kept in a fully orthodox manner (for example, all crockery/cutlery for meat had never seen any dairy products. Separate storage and separate washing facilities for meat and dairy).

My point is that if they are ultra orthodox, then they would typically want to know that your premises were kept that way too, and they would probably want some reference from your local Rabbi.

Below the ultra-ultra as you call it, there are many grades of orthodoxy, and the extent to which they observe all the rules may vary and may be less stringent. Its probably worth discussing their specific requirements with them, telling them openly of your naivity and offering to be helpful. They will either be specific on their requirements and help you through this, or they will politely decline the booking.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Goat i still fail to see the necessity of a private forum. As long as we dont name anyone they remain anonymous.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Whilst I have no intention of discriminating against minority groups I am not prepared to go out of my way to cater for their peculiarities.

I could modify my premises to meet the requirements of the disabled but I won’t – the expense is not justified.

I could re-equip my kitchens to satisfy the ultra-orthodox Jew but I won’t – the expense and the doubling of storage space are not justified.

If my properties are not suitable for certain minorities they can go elsewhere. Like me, they have the benefit of choice.

In seven seasons I’ve only once had a disabled person staying with me. He was paralysed from the waist down and accepted his disability as a challenge to be met. He came from the UK in his own aeroplane. Nothing grand; just a little two-seater with a bit of luggage space. Instead of expecting me to modify all door-openings he arrived with a narrow track wheel-chair on which he could almost play tunes. He was truly “otherwise enabled� and a delight to have as a guest.

Alan
enid

Post by enid »

I agree with Alan - it is impossible to cater for every group. We aren't really suitable for the disabled because we are on a slope and have a gravel path. We love having babies and have some equipment but we haven't set ourselves up to be particularly for young children like Ju for example so we don't have all the works.

We are, of course, willing to add anything reasonable to the gites to make our guests' holiday more enjoyable especially if it is something that would benefit future guests too.

If your needs get as specific as this group I am sure that you can find holiday lets that cater specifically for you.
Ju

Post by Ju »

I may be wrong, but I think you would need two fridges to keep an orthodox jew within their rules. Certainly two lots of everything, stored seperately. I once heard that many orthodox jews will accept a trip trough the dishwasher on an intense cycle as "cleansing" the crockery, but you would need to check. I'm sure there must be a website somewhere.

We had friends who were orthodox, and they had a helpline number to ring and check with a rabbi (sp?) anything they weren't sure of.

I must admit it would be further than I would be prepared to go for a protential guest, but their are lots of degree of orthodoxy so without asking them it would be difficult to know.

Ju

Ju
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I do appreciate all your posts, some of which are being replied to by PM.

HelenB - I feel there is a lot to learn from these guests, and I do feel they are justified in having complete privacy; I would hate it if my holiday stay was being discussed on a public forum (and it is public - give it 3-4 days and the whole of this thread will be available via Google).

I will try and accommodate anyone within reason, but on this occasion I was caught out by the short notice of special requirements, none of which I expected.

So, I will go ahead with PMs, and perhaps later we can pool advice etc.

Anyway, if I had followed Joanna's advice......

Threadcreep
Alan - I am fascinated by your mention of the disabled pilot. Would really like to know how he handled emergencies without the use of his legs (rudder etc.) - was the aircraft specially modified for him? Did he have a copilot with him? Do you know which aircraft type it was?

Goat
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
levelsteps

Post by levelsteps »

Ju wrote: but their are lots of degree of orthodoxy
A friend of mine from Australia visited my wife and I when we lived in the UK. He is an Orthodox Jew and had no problem with our single kitchen and one frying pan fits all, etc.

Before he arrived I enquired if there was anything 'special' or 'different' that he may need. His reply was "no bacon for breakfast, and no bloody Pom warm beer at night".

End of problem!
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

We first started renting out our cottage about 5 years ago and it was Christmas we put a christmas tree up with some lights on etc, the first enquiry we had were very happy to find somewhere available and booked immediately as they couldn't find anywhere to stay at this time of year, anyway we had a call from them on Boxing day to say the kitchen sink was blocked !! I rang a friend who is a plumber and he went with me to check it out, ( in fact he said I had done him a favour as he was supposed to be going to the mother-in -laws) when we arrived I noticed the family were Jewish, they made us a coffee and were a very nice family, kids running about music blasting on the hi-fi, just like our family.

They had also brought all their own pots and pans,utensils, polystyrene cups etc, we left them a couple of bottles of wine which thet didn't drink as all their food was Kosher.

I thought !! wouldn't it be great if everyone brought their own pots and pans and things.......
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

That's exactly what a self-catering holiday is about!!

I think that if Jewish Othordox were booking a 'non kosher' self-catering holiday apartment/villa, then it is easier for them to bring their own utensils etc. and I certainly wouldn't mind if they brought their own cups, pots and pans!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I'm working on early ski season enquiries - trying to trace a rumoured Rabi in Montreux, who's willing to come and do a pre-rental check-up on our place for an interested party.

I can't quite conjure up the image of him speeding into our village on his SnowCatâ„¢, scattering neon pink reindeer on his vital mission....but hey - that's business. 8)

Goat