Christmas for ten

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Racaille

Christmas for ten

Post by Racaille »

I know it's only July but I know from my own experience as a gite owner it is never too soon ...

Usually we host Xmas at our home in France but the grannies are now getting too frail to travel and I am exploring the idea of renting a large property in the UK so that we could all get together - plus a labrador and a poodle.

We could be as many as 10 adults, youngest 18, oldest 86, so we'd need a minimum of five bedrooms and a good number of bathrooms. As for location, again due to the frailty of the oldies, we'd need to be within about four hours by car from London.

Does this sound do-able? Any ideas would be welcome please :D
Riding is the art of keeping a horse between you and the ground
GRL

Post by GRL »

Why not join the dog friendly FB group and the UK/France one and ask on those.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bookholidaysdirect/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/dogfriendlyholidays/
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Good luck with that! I had to find something similar last year for my husbands 60th birthday in December.
We had 8/10 people and I wanted en-suites to all bedrooms and a downstairs loo plus walkable distance to a village and within 2 hours of St Helens (in Merseyside) as that's where family would be travelling from. I also wanted a good sized kitchen, lounge area and dining area...and all warm and well heated with open fires for atmosphere.

It took me ages to find somewhere, looking at many many websites, but eventually I found a place in Windermere.
The amount of large houses I came across that just had an unsuitable number of bathrooms was amazing. So may 5 beds/4beds with only 2 bathrooms. Also many of the rooms looked poorly heated.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Here's the thread where such accommodation was discussed. :) viewtopic.php?t=21001

I'd thoroughly recommend Annew's properties Racaille, but we had a nightmare journey down on a Friday evening starting with a broken down car, so it took us considerably longer than the four hours you want to be within. :wink: Second visit was a lot smoother. :D
Racaille

Post by Racaille »

Thanks for that Nemo - it looked fabulous but dogs not allowed and I think my mum would pine away without her aged poodle .... :cry:

Still looking .....
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Sorry I didn't notice the dogs amongst the guests! There is a photo album for group bookings in our dogfriendly facebook group. If you're on facebook join and have a nose there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/dogfriendlyholidays/ The album is called group getaways and if no joy there you can put out a request.
Racaille

Post by Racaille »

Caramba, I thought I was being early! Not so, there is not a lot of availability left. Might have to rethink the location and go further afield.

Still open to ideas. Anyone?
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

We have Cleveland House which is still available up to 27th December. Sleeps 8-10 so 2 would have to be on the sofabed which is in a second lounge downstairs. 4 bathrooms. Well equipped kitchen, large dining table, pub 90 seconds walk (husband timed it), beach 5 mins, fully enclosed garden and dog friendly. Within 4 hours driving from London and now the A11 is dualled it's even quicker!!

Details here http://www.wintertoncottages.co.uk/acco ... elandhouse
Jonathan

Re: Christmas for ten

Post by Jonathan »

Racaille wrote:I know it's only July but I know from my own experience as a gite owner it is never too soon ...

Usually we host Xmas at our home in France but the grannies are now getting too frail to travel and I am exploring the idea of renting a large property in the UK so that we could all get together - plus a labrador and a poodle.

We could be as many as 10 adults, youngest 18, oldest 86, so we'd need a minimum of five bedrooms and a good number of bathrooms. As for location, again due to the frailty of the oldies, we'd need to be within about four hours by car from London.

Does this sound do-able? Any ideas would be welcome please :D
Try the Big Cottage Company based in the Cotswolds.

Jonathan
Annew

Post by Annew »

I've just started advertising with Group accommodation .com ... seems good and I've had a few enquiries.

We can't help as we don't take dogs, but there are plenty on GA.
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!