Minimum lenght for a pool

For anything to do with the garden and pool
NonnaGiulietta

Minimum lenght for a pool

Post by NonnaGiulietta »

Forgive me for this unorthodox question, but I cannot find anyone who can answer me, all the vendors start from an opposite approach. And to be honest, the question is not about a swimming pool for guests, but one for personal use, that's me and my wife. We are not swimming aficionados, we like just to wallow into the water for a bit of refreshment (in any case, the pool will be equipped with a countercurrent swimming device). The depth will be 4.5 feet, based on the height of my wife, and this is the only established point. I would be oriented towards a width of 7.5 feet, I think it's enough, while I'm torn about the length. Would be 18 feet enough to dive from the edge without hitting the head on the opposite edge? Should you have experience of swimming pools, please can you help me? But remember, for reasons that it would take too long to explain, for us less is more. Thanks.
Nonna Giulietta Apartment
NG on Facebook

God gave us the gift of speech, but has taken from us that of silence (Sergio Bolgeri, painter)
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Many homes have what they call "splash pools" which can be fairly small and you would not normally dive into it.

I wouldn't want to be diving into a short pool only 4.5 feet deep. Without the diving requirement, even 10 feet would be enough.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I would start by considering how big a pool your available space can accommodate and how big a pool your budget can accommodate! Small spaces can cheerfully host splash pools but for proper swimming the bigger the better. Diving is also about depth though and 4.5ft is not adequate unless you have fairly comprehensive private medical insurance :mrgreen:
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

I am not a pool expert, but here are some of my thoughts.

If you're more interested in lolling around and cooling off in the pool, rather than swimming for exercise, then a small pool is fine. I've just done a Google and basic swimming lanes (not Olympic standard!) are from 2.5m - which would be a little under 8.25 feet. So unless you're determined to swim together side by side, 7.5 feet should be manageable.

As regards the depth, if that's the measurement from top of water to bottom of pool, it's a good depth for not banging feet while swimming! However, I would have thought that your proposed depth of 4.5ft seems rather shallow for diving - unless you are an expert shallow diver, you risk injury to head or spine.

The shallow end of our pool is about 4.5ft (in the water, not top edge of pool to bottom of pool) and OH is quite good at shallow diving but even he doesn't dive into the shallows, but into the "getting deeper" bit - and preferably directly into the (very) deep end.

As for your query about the length being long enough to dive - try working it out as a mathematical equation, using a piece of string and a piece of paper. On the paper, mark A being where you dive from, and B as the far end of the pool, i.e. 18 feet away.

Now your bit of string is how far you travel when you dive. So you lay it on the paper with one end at A, then draw out a shallow curve representing a shallow dive and mark where the end of the string comes in relation to B.

Next, start the string at A again but do an angled dive as if into deeper water, and see that the end of your string will not reach as close to B as it does with the shallow dive. Shallow dives travel further lengthwise - ever watched Olympic divers? They dive deep and come up near their entry point. A shallow dive takes the swimmer much further down the length of the pool.

However, all these are only comments - only you know your abilities, your requirements, the space (and money) available.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!