New to this and getting nervous

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Cymraes

New to this and getting nervous

Post by Cymraes »

Well my cottage went on with Sykes last week and is now fully booked until the middle of September which is much faster than I'd anticipated.

I have friends in there this week to make sure that I haven't overlooked anything obvious but the first "paying guests" will be there on Saturday and I'm getting some very cold feet! Reading the stories on here hasn't helped much either! If some moral support could be spared I'd be grateful.

I keep thinking of all that could possibly go wrong especially as Sykes put it on TripAdvisor!
rigmover

Post by rigmover »

you'll be fine, we have our second booking in at the moment, first one went well, we got wifi the day they arrived and had to get an aerial half way through their stay, but all was good.
donnylu

Post by donnylu »

It's natural to worry at the start but you will be fine. Unless of course you have something to be worried about !? Otherwise you will be be surprised how uncomplaining people are even it something is wrong long as its minor and you show an eagerness to resolve.
bessie

Post by bessie »

I did my first year with Sykes ,and left them simply due to pricing.They certainly get bookings I was still painting and no furniture when I got the call with first booking in a week.
It was totally new to me but my first guests were over the moon to be the first guests,wrote a lovely message in my guest book and boosted my confidence.
Only my third year ßo still lots to learn ,
Well done on the bookings.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Remember when you read the stories here, they are the difficult ones we post about. We don't talk about the 90 something per cent that go through with ease. :wink:

You'll be fine, but it's good to get the first one (or two, or three) under your belt. :D Good luck.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Thank you all- I have spent too many years working with the great British public to have many illusions left - I don't thinkI have anything to worry about but it's been a mad rush getting the cottage decorated and furnished in time (only decided to buy the cottage at the end of April) and I'm sure I've missed something!

Just hoping the wood supply was delivered today as agreed. It's difficult being 200 miles away, I think I'd be much more relaxed about it if I could just pop over!

I went with the agent this year as being so late to the market I didn't think I could get the marketing sorted out in time and they have a bigger budget than I have. I'm not sure we'll renew next year as I like the thought of being more in control of the pricing and availability and by then I should have learned a thing or two.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

BrynFfynnon wrote:I went with the agent this year as being so late to the market I didn't think I could get the marketing sorted out in time and they have a bigger budget than I have. I'm not sure we'll renew next year as I like the thought of being more in control of the pricing and availability and by then I should have learned a thing or two.
That sounds like an excellent plan and a well trodden path for many of us. Find your feet then go for lift off!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Good luck. I too remember that knot of nerves when your first few guests turn up. It does take a while for your confidence to grow....but it does.

The tip I always give is to tell your first few guests that they are the 1st, 2nd etc. And that you'd be grateful for constructuve feedback. It helps to lessen the nerves and worry that something might be/go wrong.

You've done the right thing though, having friends test it out.

Best of luck and remember there are people here with a wealth of experience all willing to help, should you ever need it!

Mousie
x
Last edited by Mouse on Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

^ What Mouse said.
Get them on your side - people do like to be asked and to feel they're able to help, and that their input is valued. If your guests know they're first in, and that you'd really appreciate any feedback and suggestions from them no matter how big or small, it changes their whole attitude to something being not quite as expected, or missing, as they already know you want things to be right; rather than complain, they can help. Complaining = feeling bad and grumpy, helping = feeling good. You then have to show yourself to be grateful for all input of course, including "an indoor swimming pool would be nice".

You have remembered the corkscrew haven't you...........? (That one kept me awake and we're on site!)
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Well done, BF - it's a steep learning curve, but much easier with LMH helpers :D
greenbarn wrote:You have remembered the corkscrew haven't you...........? (That one kept me awake and we're on site!)
And the egg slicer. And the garlic crusher (4th year and first time of being asked for one!)
Hope your kitchen knives are sharp - you might feel like wielding one if your guests are too demanding :lol: :lol:
Seriously, tell your first few guests that they are your first/second/whatever guests and they will be pleased to help. It creates the right impression with them that you care enough to worry if you've remembered everything.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Welcome to LMH. The first year is scary and the fact that you've come to this forum means you care about providing a good service. Give it a few years and you won't worry so much. In fact you might even become very cynical about the whole thing :lol:

Hope my thread about Sykes I posted yesterday doesn't scare you too much. It's something you should be thinking about over the next year perhaps.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Good luck with your first guests! You're bound to feel some nervous anticipation, but it will all go well and you will have your first positive review in the bag before you know it :)
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Thanks for the smiles you've given me!

Yes to the corkscrew ( and a bottle opener)
Yes to the garlic press ( and a cherry/olive pitter - no expense spared!)

No to the egg slicer although they do have a very nice bakestone and I've left my grandmother's recipe for Welsh Cakes! (yes there is a scales!)

I was wondering whether to come clean that they will be the first - I will now.
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

good luck, I'm sure it will all go well. Sounds like you have done your planning
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
aasta

Post by aasta »

Best of luck....it gets easier with each guest!!! :D
aasta