What is wrong with some people?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
alcooper

what is wrong with some people

Post by alcooper »

I agree completely - the small family unit of parents/children is nearly always OK - but the larger multi-family groups are the worst - the trouble is that they make a mess and no-one wants to clear up after everyone else so no-one does and they leave it all for us to do!
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

What a horrible day for you Anglodutch and I know that feeling of relief when you get the " sorry we won't be there on time" message!

Sympathies! So depressing when you have a litany of damage, especially the kind you can't just go and buy a replacement for in the shops, like marks and structural damage.

I used to have a 3pm arrival time but even though my cottage only sleeps 4 I found I could not get it fully ready after messy people in just five hours so I now have six and can breathe. If I am ready early, I text them in case they are already in the area.have you thought about giving yourself another hour for the 'just in case' times?
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

What a rotten changeover for you, AngloDutch - and how fortunate the flight was delayed!

As FelicityA suggests, how about changing your check-in time? Even 1 hour extra is a big help. And maybe revisit your T&Cs to ensure they are clear and specific, particularly your departure instructions.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Ye Gods. Just caught up on this thread. How do you keep your cool? I think not being an onsite owner has definite benefits. I do hope the rest of your summer guests behave better.

We have a 6hr window for cleaning 10-4. Rarely need all of it but there just in case. I always take a mobile no. and usually call/text guests about 2pm to say they can go in early. This way they think they have got a bonus!
pambon

Post by pambon »

I too have just seen this thread and must compliment you on your calm and cool attitude.

In this heat (over 40C) I would have been anything but cool

:wink:
AngloDutch

Re: what is wrong with some people

Post by AngloDutch »

alcooper wrote:I agree completely - the small family unit of parents/children is nearly always OK - but the larger multi-family groups are the worst - the trouble is that they make a mess and no-one wants to clear up after everyone else so no-one does and they leave it all for us to do!
Precisely, and quite often it seems that these large groups never seem to have time to clear up as well!
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

FelicityA wrote:What a horrible day for you Anglodutch and I know that feeling of relief when you get the " sorry we won't be there on time" message!

Sympathies! So depressing when you have a litany of damage, especially the kind you can't just go and buy a replacement for in the shops, like marks and structural damage.

I used to have a 3pm arrival time but even though my cottage only sleeps 4 I found I could not get it fully ready after messy people in just five hours so I now have six and can breathe. If I am ready early, I text them in case they are already in the area.have you thought about giving yourself another hour for the 'just in case' times?
Thanks, Felicity.

If the incoming guests had not been delayed then I think we would have just done the best we could. The skirting board, painting and the mess in the toy cupboard would have been gradually seen to, during the next changeover, or at the end of August when we have no bookings.

We say, checkout BEFORE 10.00, but just how many people leave at say, 09.00? It seems that because they've paid till 10.00, then they want every last minute.

In a previous thread I mentioned how our Dutch guests often start making coffee at 10.00, because they won't leave without a mid-morning drink and won't make coffee before 10.00, because it is then too early!

We state check-in after 16.00 which SHOULD give us 6 hours. But if the outgoing guests take half an hour more to leave and you've got a family with young children that has landed at Schiphol on a 05.30 flight from the USA, who you know want to arrive as soon as possible, it causes so much extra pressure.

We normally won't let anyone in if we're not ready for them, but sometimes you are forced to think whether the guests would rather have us wash down the floors for them (would take at least another hour, including time for it to dry), or allow them to finally check-in and go to sleep as fast as possible, as they're completely exhausted.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Phew, what a tale of horror! It sounds like a lifetime's worth of crap guests crammed into one visit. Sounding sympathetic to your incoming guests about their flight problems must have been really tough, but great that you were able to then present the place as you'd want.

Very tempting to compile a "Holiday Memories" photo album for the departed guests, with a suggestion for their next holiday included - perhaps a photo of a large rubbish tip "Where we're sure you'll feel at home." :twisted:

Onward and upward and nil illegitimi carborundum.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Glad you are through that one anglo!

We had a similar experience a few weeks back.....and the incoming guests flight was delayed an hour. We were jumping with joy too as it made it possible for us to get everything done that needed to be just as they were pulling up outside.

Karma!

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

What a nightmare! Amazed you kept your cool... not sure I would have been quite so diplomatic.

May these 'guests' never leave Denmark again...
pambon

Post by pambon »

gitemontjoly wrote:
Am also amazed that this has been done by a Danish family. Usually the Scandinavians are very correct; at least my expereince in both renting out to them, visiting Denmark and having various Scandinavian friends. Couldn't be more correct..
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

PW in Polemi wrote:What a rotten changeover for you, AngloDutch - and how fortunate the flight was delayed!

As FelicityA suggests, how about changing your check-in time? Even 1 hour extra is a big help. And maybe revisit your T&Cs to ensure they are clear and specific, particularly your departure instructions.
Thanks, PW, yes, good old Icelandair. So many Americans seem to fly with them because they are the cheapest yet they hardly ever get to take their original connection on their way here!

I updated our 'Important Information' folder yesterday because I wanted to stress how important it is not to leave a parasol open the whole night!
I went and highlighted certain text that I wanted them to specifically read, but then decided to put it in italics, as people are of course on holiday and you don't want them to think they have come to some sort of military camp!

Helping us by following the recycling instructions (we don't want to get a EUR 100 fine because of them!), adhering to departure times, stripping beds and asking them to be considerate and respectful of our property is all we really ask!
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

pambon wrote:
gitemontjoly wrote:
Am also amazed that this has been done by a Danish family. Usually the Scandinavians are very correct; at least my expereince in both renting out to them, visiting Denmark and having various Scandinavian friends. Couldn't be more correct..
That's what amazed us too, pambon. But they were camping in the days before they came down to us, and we had the feeling that they didn't have much money at all. This was pretty much confirmed by the brands of food they had been buying in the supermarket. We buy 'Euroshopper' brands but we don't buy EVERYTHING with a white label!

They were eating extremely cheaply whilst here. On the last night, they said that it is the two families' tradition to have a last special meal, including a bottle of wine - but it was our wine from the welcome pack that they were drinking!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

pambon wrote:
gitemontjoly wrote:
I used to think that, then some years ago on holiday at a beautiful estalagem near Cascais there was a large Swedish group staying and the disgusting mess (and noise) these people created, particularly around their al-fresco breakfast table was indescribable. If they had been English I would have died from shame. As it was, I just amended my national stereotypes quite dramatically.
(NB, to redress the balance, we had a Swedish family staying chez nous, who were no trouble and in fact great fun and quite delightful).

Molière
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
pambon

Post by pambon »

Moliere wrote:
pambon wrote:
gitemontjoly wrote:
I used to think that, then some years ago on holiday at a beautiful estalagem near Cascais there was a large Swedish group staying and the disgusting mess (and noise) these people created, particularly around their al-fresco breakfast table was indescribable. If they had been English I would have died from shame. As it was, I just amended my national stereotypes quite dramatically.
(NB, to redress the balance, we had a Swedish family staying chez nous, who were no trouble and in fact great fun and quite delightful).

Molière
Well Mols, just goes to show that it does take all sorts and variety is the spice of life.

Maybe holidays bring out either the best or worst in people. (Rather like emergencies: you either go into panic mode or take charge).