Would you mention a large delivery?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I'm also in the 'advise them' camp. I think you hit the nail on the head bunny when you mentioned they would then know the disruption would be short lived.

Mousie (who is now fascinated to know what is being delivered but too well mannered to ask :P )
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Thanks all. I'll definitely tell them in person when they arrive. I was kind of hoping they might be out and would be completely oblivious, but that would be a risky strategy. They shouldn't get blocked in but we can always let them out of another gate, so I'll reassure them that I don't wish to inconvenience them in any way. Hoping they'll be up early and out.

Ask away Mousie. We are resurfacing our horse menage, so it is 112 builders' 1 tonne bags of new surface. We will actually be having two artic deliveries two weeks running. We intend to spread and lay it on Saturdays in between changeovers so that there will be no noise for guests.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Phew bunny! That's a lot of work...especially between changeovers. You're the 2nd person on LMH I'm in awe of :D

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Mouse wrote:Phew bunny! That's a lot of work...especially between changeovers. You're the 2nd person on LMH I'm in awe of :D

Mousie
x
Oh, I won't be doing any of it. My OH will be doing the work with my daughter. I usually do the changeovers on my own anyway. Mind you, I have spent weeks hand shovelling to remove the old surface so as to not destroy the lining fabric underneath. It's better than going to the gym. I like to combine exercise with something productive and it's given me a nice tan working in the sun. :D
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

Bunny wrote:We are resurfacing our horse menage...
For three horses? :wink:

More seriously... do you or your family compete or bring horses on? A friend built a seriously good manège some years ago, cost thousands... and then never used it. :?

The next owners turned it into a tennis court. :roll:

But I suppose this is serious thread drift so... as you were, all. :oops:
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Normandie, anyone who knows my daughter would be very amused by your comments. She lives and breaths horses and competes, so there is no chance of it not being used. Yes, they can cost thousands, hence why we are doing a lot of the work ourselves to save money on the labour. We built it ourselves about 9 years ago and it has been in constant use ever since, because the hacking around us is poor. Unfortunately, the surface deteriorated when she went to university and then moved away from home for a while, so it didn't get used. She took the horses with her and so I gave up riding, but now she is living back home again. It's not the first time I have heard 'oooh that would make a lovely tennis court, or huge swimming pool site'. No chance, not as long as we live here. :D :lol:
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

Bunny wrote:She lives and breaths horses and competes, so there is no chance of it not being used.
Oh, I wasn't suggesting that you wouldn't use yours - more that you'd understand my bewilderment when said friend went through about a year of discussing (obsessing) and deciding on substrates, toppings, fencing (she planted a beech hedge to hide the fencing) etc... and then not use it.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Normandie wrote:
Bunny wrote:She lives and breaths horses and competes, so there is no chance of it not being used.
Oh, I wasn't suggesting that you wouldn't use yours - more that you'd understand my bewilderment when said friend went through about a year of discussing (obsessing) and deciding on substrates, toppings, fencing (she planted a beech hedge to hide the fencing) etc... and then not use it.
Does she even own a horse?? :lol: :lol:
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

Couple of novice eventers plus a couple of 3 or 4 year-olds. Really nice horses. But this was about 15 years ago, not recent.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Pity she's not down here - we've got two horses and no manège. In fact our boys are stabled half an hour's drive away, which is a real shame (but they're happy).

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Moliere wrote:Pity she's not down here - we've got two horses and no manège. In fact our boys are stabled half an hour's drive away, which is a real shame (but they're happy).

Mols
We couldn't survive without a menage because our paddocks are on quite a slope so totally unsuitable for schooling, and I just couldn't cope if our horses weren't at home.

Am I allowed to thread creep my own thread? I'm not very good at forum etiquette :? :lol:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Bunny wrote:Am I allowed to thread creep my own thread? I'm not very good at forum etiquette :? :lol:
Neigh!

8)
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Moliere wrote:
Bunny wrote:Am I allowed to thread creep my own thread? I'm not very good at forum etiquette :? :lol:
Neigh!

8)
Dam, oh shergar!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Funny you should say that, Bunny. Many years ago on a riding holiday in Ireland, my horse was called Shergar; he was the right age, he looked like him with that big white blaze, he was fast as sh*t, could it have been? Unlikely I suppose, but it's nice to dream. :wink:

Mols
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Moliere wrote:Funny you should say that, Bunny. Many years ago on a riding holiday in Ireland, my horse was called Shergar; he was the right age, he looked like him with that big white blaze, he was fast as sh*t, could it have been? Unlikely I suppose, but it's nice to dream. :wink:

Mols
I expect it will remain a mystery, like his whereabouts. But I'd like to think it was him! :wink: