Do Self closing gates work?

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Bassman

Do Self closing gates work?

Post by Bassman »

When we opened our pool around 14 years ago there was no law in France regarding security, having small children ourselves and also receiving guest with toddlers we looked for a secure gate system. Id been to a few campsites with pools that had self closing gates and was wasnt very impressed as most didnt close properly, so opted for a gate alarm which has been on our gate now for 14 seasons. Its not recognized as security in France so i have an immersion alarm to cover this. I need to get a new gate alarm soon or do i get a self closing gate? have they improved?
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

made my own, works well !
What would Plato do ?
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

bornintheuk
made my own, works well !

Do you have the plans? does it conform?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Mine works well. I've had it for years, not for the pool security law, but because it is common sense when you have young children staying.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

la vache! wrote:Mine works well. I've had it for years, not for the pool security law, but because it is common sense when you have young children staying.
The gate alarm works really well im not sure the s.c gate is better!
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

We made our own s/c gate too which works well, bought the latch from New Zealand I think it was - which conforms to French law. I'll dig out the details if you like.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

KathyG wrote:We made our own s/c gate too which works well, bought the latch from New Zealand I think it was - which conforms to French law. I'll dig out the details if you like.

Thanks Kathy that would be useful, im a little nervous to change from an gate alarm to a self closing gate as the gate alarm has been really effective for us.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Bassman wrote:
la vache! wrote:Mine works well. I've had it for years, not for the pool security law, but because it is common sense when you have young children staying.
The gate alarm works really well im not sure the s.c gate is better!
You could use the two together couldn't you? At least you would be conforming then, although why a gate alarm doesn't conform is beyond me, but not surprising. :roll: Waiting for OH to get back from dog walk then can get the latch details for you.
Kathy
gh

Post by gh »

Bassman our pool has a fence and self closing gate conforming to AFNOR regs with the relevant certification on them. It has been in use since the regs came into force and the gate has never failed to this day.
Unless you count stupid parents leaving a patio chair against it, so they didn't need to get up and down when their children were in the pool. grrr

It also has a lock, should you wish to close off your pool at a certain time. We leave our guests a key if they choose to lock it they can. Can't remember the height of it 1.2mtrs - to open it, you must lean over the fence and down to gain access to the handle. Failing to close could be due to installation failure.

Sorry, better in what way do you mean?

We bought ours from here -
http://www.mip-swimming-pools-france.co ... ncing.html
Went for the glass option had the mesh to begin with, sold it as views were restricted.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

This is the company website.
This is where we bought it from, but I see they now sell them on Amazon but worth shopping around.

Works really well, very robust.
Kathy
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

Thank GH & Kathy, i will take a look later its a busy change over today.
peyre blanque

Post by peyre blanque »

Hi Bassman

Our pool fence meets AFNOR and has a 'magnalatch' - which works really well....... unless, as gh says the parents are stupid.

Not sure where you'd purchase from, bit have a look at http://ddtechglobal.com/product/magnala ... pull_model

Ross
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

They self close by magnets?
peyre blanque

Post by peyre blanque »

Well - sort of: I haven't looked that carefully, (and I can't until September when guests leave) but magnetic bits certainly form part of the working mechanism. The gate isn't held closed magnetically, but magnets play a part in the mechanical lock.
There's a self closing spring to the gate and then the magnalatch secures the gate closed.
Looking at their website there are a number of models and the important self closing part - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XyZb1WTFd0

Ross
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Mine don't close by magnets, the gate is on a spring and there is a bolt that shuts. There is a double action security handle to prevent young children entering the pool on their own.