Book of the House everyone still using a folder?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
ianthy

Book of the House everyone still using a folder?

Post by ianthy »

Hi

I still have a folder as the book of the house with 6 printed pages with info about the house and recommendations. I am going thru a refresh and wondered if there was another way of presenting this info to guests?

Thks

Ianthy
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I just have a ring binder, but it has a lovely photo of the house in a slip pocket on the front and all the pages are well produced, include photos and are laminated. This means they last longer and do not get grubby and dog-eared. Beyond having a book professionally produced this is as good a solution as I can think of, plus if I want to make amendments I can just add or replace pages rather than having the whole thing done again from scratch.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Nice question Ianthy, I've been wondering the same thing! I was thinking along the lines of providing a cheap tablet for each house with information and links (maybe an app) with all the information instead and links to the attractions instead of brochures.
It would be a lot easier to update information that way.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

La Vache - how would you prevent your guests from amending or, even worse, deleting your information, that you may not notice on changeover?

We use a lever arch file with an index and many plastic pockets with 2 sheets of A4 paper back to back in each plastic pocket. This way, the guests can remove the pocket with the directions to the restaurant rather than take the whole file, plus it is easy to update the information - and some of our regulars check on each visit to see what has changed! :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

PW in Polemi wrote:La Vache - how would you prevent your guests from amending or, even worse, deleting your information, that you may not notice on changeover?
You could re-install everything quite easily. It is no different to someone removing pages from the existing file.
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

I like the idea of laminating the pages -at the moment they are in clear pockets but can get dog eared.

There are a few agents now using Aps and an iPhone for property info. It would be useful to checkout this option too - can anyone recommend an Ap?
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

PW in Polemi wrote:La Vache - how would you prevent your guests from amending or, even worse, deleting your information, that you may not notice on changeover?
I've not used a tablet so don't know what software is on them - an adaptation of Word, for eg? If so, you simply password protect any document (not the tablet) from edits without the password. Or you could use non-editable pdf files.

This is a most interesting topic. :-) I was updating one of the sheets in my folder yesterday and wondered then if there was a better way of presenting the info. I was thinking in terms of providing a gallery of our wildlife photos too. I spent about an hour earlier in the week going through the various insects - butterflies, moths, bumbles, hoverflies - which were on our buddleias. The guests didn't know a red admiral from a swallowtail so it occurred to me then an aide to identifying wildlife would be good but I didn't really want to print 30-40 photos... and a tablet would be a route to providing the info.
teapot

Post by teapot »

Casscat wrote:I just have a ring binder, but it has a lovely photo of the house in a slip pocket on the front and all the pages are well produced, include photos and are laminated. This means they last longer and do not get grubby and dog-eared. Beyond having a book professionally produced this is as good a solution as I can think of, plus if I want to make amendments I can just add or replace pages rather than having the whole thing done again from scratch.
Ditto
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Normandie wrote:
I've not used a tablet so don't know what software is on them - an adaptation of Word, for eg? If so, you simply password protect any document (not the tablet) from edits without the password. Or you could use non-editable pdf files.
That's brilliant, Normandie! So obvious, why I didn't think of it - I must still be operating with square wheels :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I just have a folder with plastic pockets. Easy to update and easy for EVERYONE to use instantly. If I provided a tablet then half my guests wouldn't have access to very important information. There's still a large section of society (particularly the older generation) who wouldn't know how to turn a tablet on, let alone access the information. The information in my brochure, is far too important to take that risk as I want them to read it. If you were going to go down the technology route you would still have to provide it in paper format IMO. 'If it aint broke, don't fix it' springs to my mind for this one I'm afraid.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Yes interesting thread.

I am using my PMP website for more and more stuff actually. I have a full section on the village where I now have info and links on all the restaurants and bars and I have a wealth of info on Ibiza; villages, beaches, transport plus I have links to car hire, airport transfers, buses etc.

The only thing that is in my folder and not on the website is the house info and walks.....so I'm seriously thinking about adding a section for those. I could create a section called 'at the villa' or 'guest section' or something.

I find it so easy now to just direct people to the website for info....even. the guests in other villas where the owners don't provide general info.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Exactly Mouse, same for me, my website has detailed info plus links to all the attractions and towns in the local area which I update regularly. Plus all my recipes. It would be so much easier to use this in part instead of printed or laminated pages.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I don't think we can get away with not having a guest brochure at all, can we?. My website also has all the links to tourist attractions etc, but my brochure is more about 'the house'. What about things like the Fire Evacuation Doc etc? My brochure contains information that isn't really appropriate to put on my website and I don't think the fire officer would be happy with that either.
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

I think that I will always have folders (in each bedroom as well as their sitting room) for ease of use, Bunny, not least because paper based info doesn't need charging or refuse to operate (unless a glass of red is upended and laminating would take care of that particular problem) but the more I think about the tablet idea for more indepth info the more I like it.

There will always be those who will prefer paper over screen but I've stopped trying to second-guess guests' technological competencies based on age - I had guests who were early to mid-70s last week (from what they were saying at brekkie, I can't judge) and the level of technological gadgetry they left lying around their rooms left me surprised... and envious. :lol: Not that they were representative of anything other than themselves, of course.
EdinburghCityApartments

Post by EdinburghCityApartments »

I've gone with an iPad for my new apartment. Bought an army style shock proof case. iPad was refurbished (4th gen I think) for about £195 and I have the Welcome Guide saved in iBooks but have it opened so it's the first thing that comes up when it's unlocked.

Haven't quite worked out how to save the PDF to the home screen which would be far more preferable!