Potential Over Occupancy

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
apexblue

Potential Over Occupancy

Post by apexblue »

HL Comm booking paid for 4 guests. Guest now says he should of booked for 8 guests. Ad states 5 guests max. Guest will not cancel booking after he learnt HL will keep booking fee of £150 and we will only refund full amount less £100 if we re-let. No booking form received yet which states no over occupancy.

Thinking ahead if they do over occupy what can we do?

Luckily we are a few doors up so can check on this.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

What a mess. HL system obviously ill equipped to handle problems of its own making. You now know of the guests' intention to over-occupy so you should be in the position of being able to reverse the booking. Have you tried calling HL? Not listing with them myself I don't know how ridiculous that question actually is!
Zingara

Post by Zingara »

Has the guest told you that he now needs to accommodate 8 guests, instead of 4, in writing?
Your property is thus not suitable: you cannot accommodate the new configuration of his party.
You look forward to receiving your signed booking form (without which access will be denied), listing the numbers of guests, by name, reminding him that any over-occupancy will result in them all being asked to leave the premises, without refund.
:evil:
It's Friday, it's been a long, hot week...and I've come back to pouring rain....
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

+1

5 people can get access....no more. The property is unsuitable for his needs. His problem.

Goes to show that people booking through HL have to be quite sure of what they're doing.
Someone else who won't use HL again.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

apexblue, how far off is the booking? Is it far enough off that you could easily re-let. If so, I would be inclined to contact HL and ask them to cancel the booking due to it being unsuitable and therefore the booking is not valid. Otherwise you will be on tenterhooks and unable to relax once he is there. If he still loses his booking fee that's his fault.

If the booking is imminent, then I would let HL/your terms ride and make it clear that over occupancy will result in him and the whole party being requested to leave, therefore, losing much more than if he cancels now. I would also make it clear that if he does not submit the booking form then there is no contact between you and thus access will be denied, again losing a lot more.

Nip the problem in the bud now, to avoid any grief and anxiety further down the line. Good luck.
Marks

Post by Marks »

I would send them an email saying you will be cancelling their booking for the reasons you have outlined here.

This is what HL say:

If you've decided to cancel*, the guest will receive a full refund. Be sure to speak to the guest before cancelling to help maintain good relations - they may already have booked their travel and/or time off work.

*Please note that if you cancel more than once within six months, a cancellation fee will be charged.

Go to Bookings, select booking, click on down arrow, select cancel booking and away you go.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Marks wrote:I would send them an email saying you will be cancelling their booking for the reasons you have outlined here.

This is what HL say:

If you've decided to cancel*, the guest will receive a full refund. Be sure to speak to the guest before cancelling to help maintain good relations - they may already have booked their travel and/or time off work.

*Please note that if you cancel more than once within six months, a cancellation fee will be charged.

Go to Bookings, select booking, click on down arrow, select cancel booking and away you go.
In that case, a call to HL is in order. A host shouldn't be penalised for cancelling a booking which, in effect, is invalid. Really the guest is cancelling by being in default of the terms.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen & I'd be inclined to agree with Bunny, cancel & try to re-let. His incurred costs aren't your problem if he went ahead & booked without reading the occupation limits.
Huge system flaw from HL, but lucky you are local & able to monitor - my neighbour was not so fortunate in 2014, but thats another story.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Arrival is 8 Aug.

Will not be cancelling as not our fault. It should be guest who cancels. We will probably re-let but who knows.

Contacting HL to hear their take for what it's worth.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Booking form finally arrived for 5. Family flying in from Kuwait.

Will watch very closely.

Asked if they want a mid week clean so we can check on occupancy number.

Bassman

Post by Bassman »

Good luck i hope it goes well for you.