Guests Deny Responsibility For Their Actions

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
annedab

Post by annedab »

Our tent guests last week came to see us on their last day to settle up and mentioned that their ideal departure time would be 6am. Perfect for me as I had a lot to fit in on the Saturday. "But, we know you may not allow this" :?: :?:

I explained that it was entirely up to them when they left, but they told me that on other campsites they were forbidden from making an early departure as someone needed to come and count all the cutlery etc

IMHO life is way too short to count teaspoons
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

I do have another one here, the Velux original, it was destined for another window. I am just hoping to get a friend to help me put it in. I know how to do it, but it is just hard for me to do the necessary hand screw driving. The electric screw driver is too cumbersome and fierce for this work.
A dreamer is one who can only find his way home by moonlight.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

annedab wrote:IMHO life is way too short to count teaspoons
Agree 100%. But I confess to counting the rest, only because I want to be sure there is enough for incoming guests. Teaspoons just get a cursory glance to see if the slot is full!
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

French Cricket wrote:Now what's that fat pink thing flying past my window? 8)
I would like to state that I have been nowhere near Maison Grillou... and certainly not airborne...
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I'm with Pepsi completely on this. I'm not on site, so I can't check after every guest, but I usually go out 3 or 4 times a year (the pleasures of retirement!) and I do count and check all cutlery and crockery to see if I'm short of anything. Inexplicably, and counter to the experience of most people it seems, teaspoons breed in my cutlery drawer.

What I find the most irritating is when people put cracked glasses back in the cupboard. It doesn't look at all nice for the next guests. And last winter I had something I've not had before: an awful lot of plates, saucers and cereal bowls with little chips in them due to rough handling. The fact that there were so many and they'd all been put back in the cupboard suggests that these were people who do this to their own things (my own mother was a nightmare at this) and therefore don't think anything of it. They're back again this winter for three months; I'm wondering how to tactfully ask them to be a little gentler with my crockery.

TC
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Leave them melamine/picnic crockery! Comes in pretty patterns too.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Topcat wrote:What I find the most irritating is when people put cracked glasses back in the cupboard. It doesn't look at all nice for the next guests. And last winter I had something I've not had before: an awful lot of plates, saucers and cereal bowls with little chips in them due to rough handling. The fact that there were so many and they'd all been put back in the cupboard suggests that these were people who do this to their own things (my own mother was a nightmare at this) and therefore don't think anything of it. They're back again this winter for three months; I'm wondering how to tactfully ask them to be a little gentler with my crockery.

TC
We used to get chipped and cracked stuff put back until we started asking people to tell us if any plates or glasses were broken so that we could make sure they were replaced and that they would not be charged. Now they are scrupulously honest so maybe the answer with your problem guests is to put a similar thing in your house notes and draw their attention to it.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Good idea, Pepsi. Now, can you say that in Swedish?

TC
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I have solar powered velux blinds at home with a remote control. Now maybe introducing another remote into a guest situation is not a good idea, but at home they are brilliant. One press to open in the morning, one press to shut at night and nobody needs to fiddle with them. :D
jenboyle1959

Post by jenboyle1959 »

annedab wrote:Our tent guests last week came to see us ...

I explained that it was entirely up to them when they left, but they told me that on other campsites they were forbidden from making an early departure as someone needed to come and count all the cutlery etc

IMHO life is way too short to count teaspoons
Yes I've had that on campsites too- somebody had to come and check I'd cleaned adequately when we went with Eurosites!! He was picky over the smeary mirrors, and insisted I did it again. he woudn't refund us the cleaning deposit if it wasn't right. We had three small children and a flight to catch and I was almost in tears with humiliation and fury. I did complain to Eurosites ,but got no apology.
I'm mindful of this experience when I rent out my apartments. . I ask to be notified of any major faults or breakages, but that's all.
annedab

Post by annedab »

They had broken a couple of glasses, but they mentioned them to us and replaced them.

They also stripped all of the beds before they left - they can come again :D
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

Can I hi-jack this thread and say that I seem to lose a lot of tupperware? I think guests probably take their leftover food home in them at the end of their stay.

I used to replace it but now I've given up. No tupperware for guests any more!!!
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

SandyBeaches wrote:Can I hi-jack this thread and say that I seem to lose a lot of tupperware? I think guests probably take their leftover food home in them at the end of their stay.

I used to replace it but now I've given up. No tupperware for guests any more!!!
+1

Bunny

Post by Bunny »

SandyBeaches wrote:I used to replace it but now I've given up. No tupperware for guests any more!!!
Same here. I also buy those plastic bag clips from Ikea. They disappear as fast as I put them in the drawer. At least they are cheap enough to consider them a consumable! :roll:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I buy the really cheap plastic boxes from IKEA. They gradually disappear but really are pence to replace. Only trouble is they come in complete sets with a large variety of sizes. I still have loads left though so no need to replace yet.