What Delights do you Leave to Welcome Your Guests?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

A bottle of wine is a nice gesture, a few tea bags, milk, and a couple of dish washer tabs in case they forgot them, I think I am learning a lot here.
The bread has always been a silly idea. In fact if they arrived late it would be stale. I am going to change my ideas!
A dreamer is one who can only find his way home by moonlight.
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

I recently posted asking what changes I should make for a Muslim guest. At the time, my welcome pack was standard.

Since then, I now email guests to let them know what will be provided asking if they have a preference as to skimmed, semi-skimmed, whole or soy milk, and whether there are any other dietary requirements I should know about.

This seems to have gone down very well with future guests emailing lovely replies such as "I can see why you've got such great reviews" and a very appreciative reply from someone who is lactose intolerant.

It's funny the wee things that can make someone's day!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I chopped and changed quite a bit in the early years morristhedog, so it's all about finding what works.

In the end I just thought that providing drinks suitable for all; tea, coffee, juice, water, beer and cava etc. would be the way to go. Everything else tyey can get from the village.
If i was more remote and had people arriving late I would offer to get something in for the evening or breakfast.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Guests always appreciate the wine and homemade cake but rarely mention the other things. French guests in particular are always staggered to receive something pleasant rather than an inventory list to check at the start of their holiday!
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

Ouch! :roll:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Morristhedog wrote:Ouch! :roll:
Oh that wasn't a dig honestly - it is just that a lot of French hosts don't smile and check everything with guests when they arrive. They aren't used to receiving a welcome as such! I wasn't referring to your teaspoons :oops:
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

You presume so much. Shall we leave it. I prefer to stay friendly on forums.
Robin S

Post by Robin S »

- Pint of milk
- Bottle of local English Bubbly (actually quite good!) or 3 x pack of local craft beer
- Fruit cake or pack of shortbreads
- Miniature toiletries
- Some Nespresso capsules
- A few postcards with pictures of the lake
- OTT (printing wise - http://us.moo.com/products/luxe/notecards.html) welcome note

Loo roll, dishwasher tabs, washing up liquid, coffee, tea etc all as standard.
Ele

Post by Ele »

Our welcome pack includes:

• Bread – sliced, 1 white, 1 brown
• Milk (fresh semi-skinned)
• Butter
• Eggs
• Local jam
• Water (2 x 2 litres)
• Teabags (small box of PG Tips / similar)
• Coffee pack and filters – for percolator
• Red and White Wine x 1 bottle of each
• Olive oil
• Beer (1 bottle San Miguel – large)
• Valencian oranges for the juice press
• Fresh flowers and Cava as an extra for regular guests
• Personalised Welcome Card

We re-stock our salt and pepper grinders, and tea/coffee/sugar sachets in canisters.

As standard we supply these consumables: hand soap (pump dispensers at all basins), dishwasher tablets/rinseaid/salt, washing up liquid, laundry tablets and fabric conditioner, toilet rolls, kitchen rolls, serviettes, foil, cling film, candles, matches, cleaning products, sponge cloths, ant & fly spray, bin liners, batteries…...

We always leave more than enough for the guests' stay - don't believe in being stingy and just supplying enough for them to get started. That way we know we have the right quality products being used in our dishwasher etc. Far better than having people put all sorts in there and ending up buying a new machine!

Never had any issues with stock going astray, and the welcome pack is very well received and used.

Really the only things we don't supply are toiletries - shampoo and shower gel are quite a personal choice, so don't do that.
gh

Post by gh »

Ours is very similar to Ele's
Welcome pack =

• Bread – baguette
• Milk long life in carton
• Water 1 x large bottle
• Teabags canister topped up
• Coffee canister topped up and filters – for percolator
• Red and White Rose Wine x 1 bottle of each
• 6 x bottles of beer
. Orange Juice carton x 1
• Fresh flowers in season from the garden
• 4 x Post Cards to send, with the house @ www pictured

Consumables =
We re-stock between guests, salt and pepper grinders, and tea/coffee/sugar canisters, hand soap (pump dispensers at all basins), dishwasher tablets/rinseaid/salt, washing up liquid, toilet rolls, kitchen rolls, serviettes, foil, cling film, candles, matches, cleaning products, sponge cloths, ant & fly spray, 3 x kitchen bin liners.

Enough dish tabs for their whole stay, 3 x toilet rolls each bathroom, no laundry items (allergies), no spare batteries they go walkies, no toiletries a such just a little wicker basket from hotels we have stayed at, spares of all light bulbs in electric cupboard.
Plastic containers lots, bag seal clips lots cheap as chips to replace.

As we are off-site owners we stock up early season, we have a large lockable walkin cupboard to accommodate all our stock just off the kitchen, our house manager sees to the topping up.

Edit- some of those little madeleines individually wrapped so they can arrive have a chilled drink or a cuppa to relax after their journey.
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

we provide all the usual things that would get consumed/used during a stay cereals, coffee, tea, sugar, toilet rolls, ( a bag of 9 which is replaced when it's empty but people only usually use a couple, dishwasher tablets (lots), bin liners, foil, cling film, paper towels, liquid hand soap, and cream, cotton wool pads, buds, plus many extras that I would consider useful and expensive to buy as only small bits get used, cooking oil, balsamic vinegar, ketchup, hand cream, etc.

3 rs ago I rationalised what went into the fridge. My standard now is milk, juice, eggs, spread and a treat of some kind. there is always bread in the freezer too.

Everyone comments how nice it is to have these provided so I try not to say I used to provide wine, home made cake, crisps etc and no regulars have commented on the reduction.
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I don't leave a welcome pack. I do have as standard: lots of loo rolls, condiments, tea bags, instant coffee, sugar and bubble bath (which makes the bath easier to clean) and general cleaning sprays etc.

There is a coop grocery store about 2 minutes walk away which is open from 7 a.m until 10 p.m. I have many returning guests so I guess they live with my lack of welcome packs!
brightmike

Post by brightmike »

Since then, I now email guests to let them know what will be provided asking if they have a preference
We provide wine and always email asking what would they prefer white, red, or rose. Only about 40% of people bother to let me know! I only ask them once since the default is white.

On the show around they are often delighted when I point out the complementary wine. I think it just shows people don't read their email properly?
Our property website can be found by looking at our profile.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I provide both red and white wine, but as I don't personally purchase the components of the welcome pack my guess is that they are of the cheapo vino collapso variety. In my pre-arrival email I do say that they should let me know if they want to make any changes to the usual contents of the pack, but no one yet has. The only additional request I once had was for some BBQ charcoal and my manager was reluctant to provide this as my summer kitchen has not been officially signed off as meeting the campo fire regulations.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

The cost of wine in the UK is such that I can't really see it as a realistic inclusion in a welcome pack; even on special offer a bottle of red now comes in at about £7. Anything much less than that is cooking stuff or expensive drain cleaner and I'm not sure that guests who like wine would appreciate the supposition that they'd fancy a bottle of cheap plonk, and if they don't like wine they'll just see it as a waste of their money - after all they have paid for it in some way - it's a tricky one.

If there's a local connection - a UK producer nearby - then that puts a totally different aspect on the idea and creates a local interest factor, and local produce is a nice idea in a welcome pack; Edinburgh's inclusion of a Crabbie's product in a rental that was once part of the Crabbie's facility is about as local as you can get, and people will remember the connection!

However, I might take a trip to the nearest Majestic and see what we'd have to pay for a few cases of something - if it was going in a welcome pack it would of course be tax deductible, (although I don't know if the law has now been changed to allow us to include alcohol without a licence? :? It's been on the cards for quite a while) and if it gets left I'll force myself to drink it......